Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 12:19 PM

36 posts, read 55,398 times

Advertisements

So, yet another person moving to SoCal here. We're looking for a place to rent for the year with hopes of buying after that. By way of background:
* wife and I are moving out w/ 2 cats and no kids.
* My job is in Orange right off the 5 and the 22.
*Rent between $1900-2200.
* Need a 2br and garage
* We don't need more than 1000sqft and prefer a detached home, but that may be unrealistic
* Pretty sure my job is flexible w/ morning start time, but probably need to be in by 930, 10 the latest most days. Opportunity may exist for Mission Viejo one day per week.
* Our preference is to rent a house but I'd like to avoid "familycentric" neighborhoods and don't care about the schools.
* closer to the beach is preferred. My main reason for this move is the weather and the ocean; however, I think I could handle being in Orange by work for a year while we get our bearings.
* closer to Dana Point (Laguna Beach doesnt appear affordable) is preferred and I think I could handle the 30 mile commute for a year, or no?

In my searches thus far, Aliso and laguna hills/niguel sound like a reasonable compromise.

I've looked at quite a few rental sites but many of the listings have expired. Also, Craigslist has produced its fair share of scams
Should we use an agent (fees associated w/ that I'm guessing)? Pound the pavement?
Wisdom of the group is appreciated.

Last edited by NeuroSigh; 07-15-2012 at 12:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 12:50 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,632,584 times
It’ll be hard to find a detached home in that price range, but there are some townhouses, like this 1171 sqft/2bd/3bth available in Aliso:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...ental=1&row=17

Quote:
* closer to Dana Point (Laguna Beach doesnt appear affordable) is preferred and I think I could handle the 30 mile commute for a year, or no?
As you probably know, AV is adjacent to Laguna Beach and, during the off season, you can make it from the corner of Aliso Creek Road/ El Toro to the actual beach in about ten minutes. Traffic going into Laguna Beach is slow during the height of the tourist season.

You would be able to make it to Dana Point in about 15 minutes. The commute to Orange should be easy during the off hours you specified.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:45 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,420,217 times
Search for posts by Coldjensens (Jensen of Orange who dethroned William of Orange for whom Orange is ultimately named), lots of good posts on Orange and the surrounding community.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Search for posts by Coldjensens (Jensen of Orange who dethroned William of Orange for whom Orange is ultimately named), lots of good posts on Orange and the surrounding community.
Orange would be fine, but it sounds like the OP is looking for something a bit closer to Dana Point:
Quote:
* closer to Dana Point (Laguna Beach doesnt appear affordable)
Besides putting him closer to the beach, living in either Aliso, Laguna Niguel or Mission Viejo would also make it easier for him to do a one day a week gig in MV.

Last edited by pacific2; 07-15-2012 at 02:23 PM..

Old 07-15-2012, 02:22 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,420,217 times
I think his commute for his stated hours might be a little rough, 33 miles one way DP to Orange. Also, since he is renting and schools aren't a concern, I recommended somewhere as close as possible. After a year of renting (and querying CDF), he will be in a perfect position to buy if he so chooses.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I think his commute for his stated hours might be a little rough, 33 miles one way DP to Orange. Also, since he is renting and schools aren't a concern, I recommended somewhere as close as possible. After a year of renting (and querying CDF), he will be in a perfect position to buy if he so chooses.
It sounds like he wants to be near Dana Point and Laguna Beach; and his primary reason for moving out here is to enjoy the weather and the ocean. I've done the Aliso Anaheim commute, and it's not so bad if you travel at the right times.

I've never lived in Orange, but I could imagine that the thought of having to deal with freeway traffic on the 5 could easily put a damper on any spontaneous plans to visit the beach.

Last edited by pacific2; 07-15-2012 at 02:46 PM..

Old 07-15-2012, 11:17 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,938,775 times
Dana Point, Seal Beach, Huntington Beach are your best options

Most south county cities are very family oriented, and sterile.

Most affordable rent is in Huntington Beach. Try to stay within 1.5 miles of PCH (Harbour Area has easiest freeway access). Avoid living in the area bounded by Slater, Edinger, Beach and Gothard)

Old 07-16-2012, 08:45 AM

7,017 posts, read 14,406,938 times
If you'll be going to Mission Viejo once a week, you'd probably want to live somewhere in between Orange and MV.

Irvine sounds ideal except it's a mostly familycentric area. Unfortunately, it's not possible to find something that meets all of your criteria without being unreasonably far away.

If you prioritize living near the beach over a good commute, then try Costa Mesa.

If you prioritize low rents, live in Garden Grove (I'd avoid Santa Ana even though it's likely cheaper.)

If you don't mind a longer commute, live in Huntington Beach.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:30 AM

13 posts, read 22,404 times
I live in Aliso and work in Orange and with the exception of summer time when schools are out and traffic is lighter, it usually takes 45 minutes to an hour for my 23 mile commute. I agree that Costa Mesa might be your best option. The 55 can still be tough but you are close to the beach and closer to Orange.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:59 PM

36 posts, read 55,398 times
Thanks for the replies. Turns out my job has a shuttle to and from the train station in Orange, so theoretically I can take the train in from, say, San Juan. Could make living in Dana Point more of a reasonable goal, no? Thoughts? Anyone rely on Metrolink for transportation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County