U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 09:25 AM

98 posts, read 150,208 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am interested in moving to OC for a quality of life change.

I am a 43 straight single male who has lived in NYC for 22yrs, worked on wall st, and am ready for a change.

I have had my fill of NYC fast pace and living in a 600 sqft shoe box and spending $20/night on takeout chinese!

I currently have over $3400 in rent expenses and $800 in parking (2 cars! in NYC monthly garage) so as you can see I can cut down my living expenses massively or for same money live very well in OC.

One caveat: I am very much much into Car Culture (collecting cars, classics, racing, car shows) and So Cal is the mecca for this; so I will be able to enjoy my cars alot more.

My specific questions are concerning:

-Real estate values
-Social scene/women
-Career/Income

>I would love to live in the Laguna Niguel/Laguna Beach area. Its very hard to tell from trulia/realtor.com what you can get. I could do a 2br Townhouse, as long as it has a 2 car garage OR I am fine with a 3br 70s ranch split level. Dont need to overspend for mcmansion. Like to hear what $750K +/- buys.

>Is living in Irvine too Corporate? office park like?
>Should I avoid Irvine Co. complexes?...see lots of bad posts about rules & issues
>Are places like Coto de caza too sterile?
>Is San Celemente too far out to comute to Irvine?
>Is Long Beach an option outside of Waterfront?
>Is Huntington Beach better or worse v. above?

What is crime scene...I keep hearing its always like 1 mile away?...Iam from NYC, so not sheltered.

>Social: I am not a big club/VIP guy. Just need a lively social scene to be able to go out near marina or outdoors, to take dates v. pick up. I sense Newport Beach is a bit older, and has stereo-type of divorcees / sugar daddies.

> On career, there looks to be a fair amount of financial services (insurance co, finance, etc) in Irvine & So Cal. However, not sure what current climate is; if I could get a corp./bus. development job OR is that for "lifers" who have been at these companies OR are So Cal Finance jobs all mortgage brokers, Title corporate, or insurance agency type jobs.

Overall, just like to hear your take on life out there as a guy; quality of life, people, lifestyle, car culture.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 09:32 AM

16,801 posts, read 37,482,935 times
"NYC -> Southern California: anyone do it ?"

Oh, if you only knew...

Old 07-16-2012, 09:40 AM

9,963 posts, read 17,559,450 times
My wife and I lived in NYC for 2 years then moved to Newport Beach, then Irvine with a couple of moves to the BayArea also. You and I are very different though, I hate the car culture of SoCal.

I'll just try and help with these:

-Real estate values
I think you will be amazed by what you can get in OC compared to NYC.

-Social scene/women
Bars and restaurants (very little club life). Mainly snobby and money hungry (the areas you are talking about), a lot like the women you would find in SOHO or Tribeca.

-Career/Income
Mostly around real estate and investing. My wife worked at Deutche Bank on Wall St, went to OC and worked for a commercial real estate company making very close to her NYC salary.

-quality of life
Good QOL especially if you like the outdoors. Less stressful for me than NYC.

-people
Different than NYC in most every area except their love of money and fancy crap.

-lifestyle
I think this area will be the most culture shock for someone coming from NYC. There are really no commonalities between NYC and OC. The culture is totally different from conversation, activies and dressing, to drinking and eating...totally different.

OC is a "Daytime" lifestyle and pretty dead at night. NYC get's going around 11pm.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:48 AM

26,342 posts, read 89,711,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_NYC View Post
H Its very hard to tell from trulia/realtor.com what you can get.
I don't get this. You enter your parameters and you get pictures and maps and data. You can use Google street view to make virtual "lookie loo" drive bys.

Also, consider using redfin. It is much better than those website. Much more analyzable data. More logical. More robust.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:03 AM

Mach50,

Thanks for analysis.

I actually live in SoHo....Soho Court...I'm using it like a Melrose Place complex...it has a city block-long atrium with giant trees (not palms!) where I have margarita cocktails with dates April-Sept. Used to be all Yuppies...now its 21-25 rich NYU gals...not complaining!

Re: jobs

I keep hearing the "investing jobs"....is this all Stock-Brokers & Financial Planners or HNW/Private Banking? Cant imagine cold-calling pays these rents.

I would like to transition into a job wheres sophisticated financial skills can be transferable. Think your idea of commercial real estate is most relevant in SoCal.

Cars:

Yeah, some folks spend thousands on golf, travel, sports...others like a drive up PCH in classic roadster.

Spent Sunday night 9pm pouring sweat getting my ride on lift (2in of alloy wheels rubbing) at packed NYC basement garage v. pushing button of 3-bay garage door opener in OC!

Old 07-16-2012, 10:08 AM

26,342 posts, read 89,711,612 times
Quote:
Like to hear what $750K +/- buys.

Why don't you enter this into the search engine and look at the results? Use redfin. I still don't get it. Look for recent sales from $700K to $800K.

>Is living in Irvine too Corporate? office park like? It's a little of everything. Offices, homes, parks, but not really a singles/bar scene type place.

>Are places like Coto de caza too sterile? Big problem living in Coto is: High daily tolls for 241 toll road OR driving through 69 intersections to get to the 5 freeway.
>Is San Celemente too far out to comute to Irvine? Not if you leave early in the morning. PM traffic after 330PM slows up around the El Toro Y (405/5 interchange)
>Is Long Beach an option outside of Waterfront? It's an option but it is probably an unnecessarily long drive. I think you can easily find anything in Long Beach somewhere closer to Irvine in OC.
>Is Huntington Beach better or worse v. above? Above as in LB? Better since closer I would think. No 405/605/22 interchange.

What is crime scene...I keep hearing its always like 1 mile away?...Iam from NYC, so not sheltered. You'll have to looking for crime. Santa Ana has some neighborhoods of higher crime but they are easy to avoid.

>Social: I am not a big club/VIP guy. Just need a lively social scene to be able to go out near marina or outdoors, to take dates v. pick up. I sense Newport Beach is a bit older, and has stereo-type of divorcees / sugar daddies. I don't see how this can be a problem for anyone, ever in OC. Way too many things to do, places to go.

Overall, just like to hear your take on life out there as a guy; quality of life, people, lifestyle, car culture.

Traffic, high housing costs, financial problems in city/county/state government are probably the biggest negatives.
See colored text.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:10 AM

9,963 posts, read 17,559,450 times
Quote:
Mach50,

Re: jobs

I keep hearing the "investing jobs"....is this all Stock-Brokers & Financial Planners or HNW/Private Banking? Cant imagine cold-calling pays these rents.

I would like to transition into a job wheres sophisticated financial skills can be transferable. Think your idea of commercial real estate is most relevant in SoCal.
OC seems to have private banking and real-estate jobs. I'm not in the financial sector, my wife is.

You may have better luck in Los Angeles with your skills. Get a job first then decide where to live.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:36 PM

123 posts, read 237,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
-lifestyle
I think this area will be the most culture shock for someone coming from NYC. There are really no commonalities between NYC and OC. The culture is totally different from conversation, activies and dressing, to drinking and eating...totally different.
Even though I grew up here in So Cal, I've always thought that the conversations I've had with other So Cal people was superficial. Most people are either into sports, money, or other superficial stuff. I've never had a convo at a bar that approached anything philosophical. Do New Yorkers have "deeper" conversations about things? Or is it all about sports, etc over there too?

The other thing I wanted to know is, are people in NY more direct with you? I've heard that if someone on the East Coast doesn't like you, they'll tell you directly. Whereas out here, they smile and shake your hand and then talk about you behind your back.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:01 PM

16,801 posts, read 37,482,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Jack View Post
I've never had a convo at a bar that approached anything philosophical.
Maybe you should change venues.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:44 PM

I am always amazed by this observation that Cali people are plastic or superficial?

My gut reaction is have you EVER talked to a New Yorker?

I think the movies make it out like New Yorkers are a cross between a tweedy professor in Greenwich village, and an old school brooklyn wise guy, an elite pin stripe exec or a gal with a heart of gold.

Trust ME....after 22 years in NYC I will guarantee you we are the capital of plastic people.

Philosophical discussions with strangers or some cheers-wannabe Bar setting are really not anywhere, unless u wanna pretend that person cares more than passing time.

People don't come here to save the world; they come to NYC to make bank, get discovered or sow those wild oats for 1-7yrs and go back to their staid existence.

In NYC you will hear it like it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County