Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 01:39 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,118,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Interesting bit of historical data. I guess they did skip over here; it's so close by.
They didn't stay. Brigham Young recalled them back to Salt Lake City at about the same time as the Mountain Meadows Massacre. I've been wondering if those two events were somehow linked. I know that then the Mormons were anticipating a conflict with Washington that ultimately didn't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 01:52 PM

27,875 posts, read 29,679,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
They didn't stay. Brigham Young recalled them back to Salt Lake City at about the same time as the Mountain Meadows Massacre. I've been wondering if those two events were somehow linked.
What in the world would make you connect those two events?

Old 07-22-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
What in the world would make you connect those two events?
Well let's see. Both involved Mormons along the Old Spanish Trail in 1857 for starters. Both were likely a reaction to tensions between the U.S. and the Mormons. Both may have been arranged by Young or at least known to him. Just sayin'.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:57 PM

27,875 posts, read 29,679,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Well let's see. Both involved Mormons along the Old Spanish Trail in 1857 for starters. Both were likely a reaction to tensions between the U.S. and the Mormons. Both may have been arranged by Young or at least known to him. Just sayin'.
Whatever. The likelihood that Brigham Young was in any way responsible for the Mountain Meadows Massacre is highly unlikely. He is often accused of it, but there is no real evidence to support the accusations. They're mostly just heresay. There is, however, a letter in which he specifically instructs the perpetrators to let the people who ultimately became their victims pass peacefully. That letter is a legitimate piece of evidence to his innocence. Anyway, that's really a topic for the religion forum, so I won't further derail the thread. Back to "Are there a lot of Mormons in Orange County?" Answer: Yes. Lots in number but not in terms of percentage.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Whatever. The likelihood that Brigham Young was in any way responsible for the Mountain Meadows Massacre is highly unlikely. He is often accused of it, but there is no real evidence to support the accusations. They're mostly just heresay. There is, however, a letter in which he specifically instructs the perpetrators to let the people who ultimately became their victims pass peacefully. That letter is a legitimate piece of evidence to his innocence. Anyway, that's really a topic for the religion forum, so I won't further derail the thread. Back to "Are there a lot of Mormons in Orange County?" Answer: Yes. Lots in number but not in terms of percentage.
It was argued ad nauseum on the history forum. I don't know one way or the other and probably should have just left it that the founding San Bernardino mormons returned to Utah.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:19 AM

32,516 posts, read 36,991,174 times
I never thought about the 'why' but Anaheim had a fairly large number of Mormons in the 50's and 60's. There were Mormon pockets in the neighborhoods and they were active, vocal parts of the community. In school you knew who the Mormons were because they broadcast it rather loudly. We also knew who all the Jack Mormons were which made all the good Mormons very upset.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:37 PM

So what's the deal with the bicycles and white short sleeve shirts? When you're 16 in CA you drive a car.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,780 times
There are a lot of Mormons in OC (in Ladera Ranch especially). Mormons tend to have a lot of kids, and this area is very family friendly.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:24 PM

418 posts, read 902,745 times
Huge new Mormon church in Newport/Irvine built a few years ago. The cathedral or temple, or whatever you call it was higher than that what the city allowed so they asked for a variance. The neighbors fought it, hired a family friend as their attorney. The head the Mormon church showed up to the public meeting to tell the council/planning people that God told him it needed to be at that height. Church loss. I told my friend, you fought God and won.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:33 PM

30,701 posts, read 79,347,054 times
I am not sure why, but the former FBI netwrok in LA and Orange County was once referred to at the "Mormon Mafia"

Otherwise I do not know. I thnk I have met maybe three or four prople I knew to be Mormon, so somewhat less than 1% in my experience.

I have encountered consierably more Quakers than Mormons. But I don't think the Quakers are considered a cult.

Laguna used to have a huge Hare Christna presence.

Boston Movement people were big for a while. They were popping up everywhere.

Scientology is probably bigger presence than all of them put together. They could easily be 1.4% of the population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County