Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 11:53 PM

567 posts, read 787,948 times

Advertisements

The thing is that we wouldn't actually be living there continuously for maybe 4 years, and that's a heck of a lot of money to plunk down every month for nothing.
I've seen some houses in Oceanside--some in the Rancho Del Oro area--that weren't badly priced at all. (That said, we've been Orange County folks for decades.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 01:26 PM

224 posts, read 957,285 times
I live in LWV. Prices for units couldn't be better than right now...they are still cheap...the monthlies will be around $590 in 2013.

The carrying charges in good part are a result of the mutuals' politics.....the pay exhorbitant amounts for landscaping, and the management company has recently had a shake-up...it was found to be having large parties, lots of lunches, and bonuses and gifts for employees...all on the residents' dime...be careful of Third Mutual...all condos, and great properties, but the present board is a PCM (the management company}rubber stamp....the monthlies just went up $24 a month for next year...the financial requirements to get in are way too high considering most units are forty years old and the sewage system keeps raising havoc. Presently...my self included...those who own rental properties have reduced rents by as much as $300 a month to fill their units....other than the above....it's a great place to live.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:23 PM

567 posts, read 787,948 times
Which one is Third Mutual?
I saw that properties were pretty old. Certainly not built to present earthquake standards. Have they all been properly retrofitted?
I saw in the info packet that they look for the least noxious way of pest control. Does that mean they don't spray regularly or tent? I'm sensitive, so this is a concern.
I've seen some very good prices, but it's still coming down to paying hundreds a month for property on which we're not living regularly. My husband's cousin has a condo in Laguna Niguel, and they come down every 6 weeks or so from Seattle, but then, again, her hubby's a heart surgeon.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:51 PM

590 posts, read 1,249,420 times
I don't think you will like. Or accept hoa living

We own two with them and happy someone else does the gardening pool work outside painting and have replaced our roof.
And both places always look great

Pest control. Only outside spraying. Tenting is for termites. And no hoa pays for that

Our condo has hoas of 500 a month. That covered trash basic cable and insurance only for the outside structure

Plus 11pools tennis courts. Etc

Hoa did not cover water gas or electric. And once we went hd and Internet or monthly bundle was100 a month

Then there are property taxes and liability insurance

We were in a resort area and rented as much as we could. By the week and month

In 13 years we never even broke even.
It was gated and guarded
Laguna woods are very old places. Unless kitchen and baths have been totally updated. Well they are dated

Good luck

Old 09-04-2012, 12:53 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaMom View Post
The thing is that we wouldn't actually be living there continuously for maybe 4 years, and that's a heck of a lot of money to plunk down every month for nothing.
I've seen some houses in Oceanside--some in the Rancho Del Oro area--that weren't badly priced at all. (That said, we've been Orange County folks for decades.)
Oh heck, four years is a looooong time....so many things can change in that much time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County