Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 02:18 AM

111 posts, read 226,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakicka View Post
I do not own a gun but went to a shooting range two times back in NJ and really had a blast. are there any places out here that you can rent a gun and shoot at a range for an hour or whatev? thanks...
Yep, On-Target in Laguna Niguel. They have a huge variety of rental guns and their prices are great. That's where I shoot at least once a week!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 02:26 AM

If you shoot him and it turns out he has no weapon, he can sue you. If you accidentally kill him, his relatives can sue you.

You need to study up on the law before making statements like this -

If someone breaks into your home, you are justified by shooting that person, regardless of whether or not he has a weapon. As long as you were in fear for your life you can shoot. This is called the "castle doctrine" and contrary to popular belief, CA actually has it (People v. Clark (1982); 130 Cal.App.3d 371, 377)

Under CA law you cannot be sued in a justified self-defense shooting. Sure, anyone can sue, but the case will be immediately dismissed. The same if you kill someone in a justified self-defense shooting - you are immune from lawsuits.

A lot of this surprised me when I took my CCW class and learned CA's laws on self-defense shootings. The mainstream media has created the myth that CA's laws are all anti-gun but in reality their self-defense laws are quite good.

Another little-known fact - CA has the "no duty to retreat" doctrine common to red states, meaning if you are attacked, you do not have to run and may stand your ground and use deadly force if needed.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:13 AM

198 posts, read 930,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwinston73 View Post
If you shoot him and it turns out he has no weapon, he can sue you. If you accidentally kill him, his relatives can sue you.

You need to study up on the law before making statements like this -

If someone breaks into your home, you are justified by shooting that person, regardless of whether or not he has a weapon. As long as you were in fear for your life you can shoot. This is called the "castle doctrine" and contrary to popular belief, CA actually has it (People v. Clark (1982); 130 Cal.App.3d 371, 377)

Under CA law you cannot be sued in a justified self-defense shooting. Sure, anyone can sue, but the case will be immediately dismissed. The same if you kill someone in a justified self-defense shooting - you are immune from lawsuits.

A lot of this surprised me when I took my CCW class and learned CA's laws on self-defense shootings. The mainstream media has created the myth that CA's laws are all anti-gun but in reality their self-defense laws are quite good.

Another little-known fact - CA has the "no duty to retreat" doctrine common to red states, meaning if you are attacked, you do not have to run and may stand your ground and use deadly force if needed.
There are states whose laws say you must run if attacked? Don't think I like that... >_<

Old 10-24-2007, 07:29 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,494,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
What I'm trying to say is that I think guns in your home for protection are one thing, carrying a gun around on the street is another.

I think carrying a gun on the street (if you aren't wearing a uniform or don't look like security) would make you more of a target than anything. Bad guys have to get guns from someplace. Since you can't stroll into a Wal-Mart here and buy guns or ammo, it's pretty darn tempting to just try to take a gun from somebody who's got one.

Secondly, you'll be a target for the police too. Most of the people with guns on the street around here are criminals.

Crime is pretty low in most of the LA/OC metro area because the police respond quickly and almost everyone has a cellphone.
Lets not forget, A CCW permeate is a counseled weapon No one knows you have it, So They are not going to try to take from you what they don't know you have. That's the idea of a CCW. And if they do find out you are armed then it's to late for them.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
Lets not forget, A CCW permeate is a counseled weapon No one knows you have it, So They are not going to try to take from you what they don't know you have. That's the idea of a CCW. And if they do find out you are armed then it's to late for them.
Exactly, even my girlfriend can't tell when I'm carrying unless she feels in the spot where she knows I carry it. In 3 years of legally carrying I've never been "made" by anyone.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:16 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,164,635 times
If no one ever figures it out, great. I wouldn't want to carry in South Central though -- cuz I think they would figure it out. You'd be the only white guy not acting scared, ya know?

Have you read any of the stories about the CCW people who have been the only people shot in situations where someone pulled a gun? It's happened. That's because they are the only people stupid enough to stick around when someone pulls a gun. Everybody else scrambles but the CCW carriers stick around and pull theirs out too. Then they get shot -- and a couple of unarmed guys further down the road unarm the bad guy.

You know why this happens? It's because people with no guns have to be smarter than those with guns.

Seriously though, what good is the gun for? You have to be attacked physically before you can even pull the gun out. What good is that? Do you travel in really dangerous circles or something? How many people have physically attacked you?

And if they only attack you with fists, you can only respond with fists. So -- what do you plan to use the gun for?

I still think a CCW is almost useless here unless you are a bodyguard for a celebrity or you routinely carry diamonds and gold between the jewelry district and the airport. I'd really think twice before I would carry a gun in this town -- CCW or not.

(P.S. The smartest guy I've seen recently was the guy being held up in a liquor store. The minute the crook laid his gun down, the shop clerk picked it up and pointed it at the crook. Touche!)

Old 10-25-2007, 01:43 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,164,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
This would be so great if it were true -- but it isn't. What you are thinking only happens in the movies or in your dreams.

I'm curious. I'd like to read about any CCW holder who has actually pulled out his gun on the street and saved the day. I'm not interested in permit holders who have pulled guns on people in their houses or businesses. To me, that has nothing to do with a CCW which allows you to carry one the street. (Anyone can have a gun in their home or business.)

I'd like to hear a story about someone with a CCW who has used it on the street for a good reason. And let's not count those who are hired to protect people or who have a gun for a specific reason.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:40 AM

1,195 posts, read 5,410,124 times
I have a Conceled Carry Weapons permit and it's actually against the law to show your gun on your body or in a vehicle, the point of the permit is for your protection and to have it conceled. There's also many states that honor other states permits which was nice to hear.

Once they take our guns away only the criminals will have guns, not interested in putting a can of mace or pepper spray up against a weapon.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Have you read any of the stories about the CCW people who have been the only people shot in situations where someone pulled a gun? It's happened. That's because they are the only people stupid enough to stick around when someone pulls a gun. Everybody else scrambles but the CCW carriers stick around and pull theirs out too. Then they get shot -- and a couple of unarmed guys further down the road unarm the bad guy.

You know why this happens? It's because people with no guns have to be smarter than those with guns.
This is blatantly wrong and goes to show that you have no idea about what it's like to carry. The one thing *ALL* CCW holders say after carrying for a few months is how much more aware they are. How their situational awareness has gone through the roof. About the only people who get nonchalant and bold with a gun are criminals.

Also - it is a documented fact that approximately 6,500 crimes are prevented EVERY DAY by CCW holders. That's SIX THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED!

Quote:
And if they only attack you with fists, you can only respond with fists.
Wrong again, if you are physically attacked you can draw your gun for two reasons:

1. Fear of great bodily harm (nowhere does the law say "gun for gun")
2. You draw your gun when attacked by fists to prevent the other person from taking your gun from your body and using it against you and possibly others.

I regret that I ever posted this. All I asked for is if there are other CA gun owners on the forum, and instead of "yes" or "no" responses I got this nonsense from someone who is not trained in firearms and knows NOTHING about our state's carry laws and use of deadly force laws.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:39 AM

163 posts, read 773,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwinston73 View Post

I regret that I ever posted this. All I asked for is if there are other CA gun owners on the forum, and instead of "yes" or "no" responses I got this nonsense from someone who is not trained in firearms and knows NOTHING about our state's carry laws and use of deadly force laws.
haha...I bet you do. Don't you love how people jump all over your topic and start spewing all their opinions on the matter?

Just thought I'd say hello so you had one more person on your side, the sane side

I don't live in So Cal though so oh well... I did have my CA CCW for a couple years first in Chico and then when I first moved to Sacramento. Unfortunately I now live in the wrong county and so I can't renew. Makes a lot of sense...

anyway, fun for a while, carried all over the state with no issues ever (even Disneyland once if you can believe that )

Good luck trying to talk any sort of rational sense into your fellow So Cal neighbors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County