U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2007, 02:03 PM

10 posts, read 40,363 times

Advertisements

Our family - me, husband, 2 girls - may be relocating to Cali next year, and Laguna is a possibility per recommendations we have gotten. We'd rent at first. What can we expect to pay for rent per month for a 3+ bedroom 2+ bath home with yard bigger than say a postage stamp?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 02:15 PM

11,715 posts, read 39,893,047 times
A quick check of Craig's List shows most of them in the $3500-6000/mo range. I doubt you'll get much of a yard there. Laguna Beach is a beach community that extends up onto some steep hills. Neither of those typically means large lots.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:22 PM

What about pools? Are most beach homes there with or without pools? Coming from FL the majority of homes here have one, but are people more into ocean swimming there in Cali?

Old 10-04-2007, 02:23 PM

And I don't need an acre lot, just maybe a bit of grassy area for room to entertain and for the girls to have a bit of room to play.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:27 PM

11,715 posts, read 39,893,047 times
I just flew over the area on Google maps satellite view and didn't see a lot of pools down there. Again, that's some very expensive real estate often on very rugged terrain so big yards with pools aren't common.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:42 PM

198 posts, read 918,818 times
If you get into the hills... it's a pretty illogical drive--I couldn't imagine trying to give directions to the homes in the hills. There's some really great homes, but the drive in hills can be kinda dark in some spots and the neighborhood can seem a bit unorganized if you're used to master-planned areas.

It does look like a great place to live, though... there aren't too many unique areas like the homes in the hills of Laguna. They all looked custom built, and there were so many interesting and beautiful homes.

I don't really know much about the homes in the rest of the city, though... the neighborhood layouts look a little more normal as you get farther down the hills, but still very nice. I really like the Laguna area--Hills, Beach, whatever... it's all pretty nice. Looks more homey than a lot of other cities in OC. ^_^

Old 10-05-2007, 06:27 AM

That's what we thought too. Laguna seems to be very clean, too. I am trying to get as much info. about it as I can before we visit.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:21 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,756,734 times
My step dad lives in Laguna. Most of the private residences don't have pools, and if they do, they're the tiny little one lane lap pools, because the bigger houses are built on hills, their yards aren't really structurally sound for pools.

Expect to pay at least $4,000/month in rent for 3 bedrooms 2 bathrooms, and at least $1.5 million to buy something that size. Most homes there do not have big yards, except for one near my step dad's place where they bought two lots, and built one house on it, so they could have a yard. I think it's in Emerald Bay, I can't remember. I think it's also a $20 million house.

Laguna is awesome. Good schools, funky vibe, nice weather. Too many tourists in the summer, but you can expect that with any beach town. I miss living there.

V. =)

Old 10-05-2007, 06:46 PM

895 posts, read 4,204,804 times
Hey-- we just moved here and love Laguna Beach. Unfortunately, it's location is not optimal for my husband's work commute to Irvine. Anyway, we looked at housing in Laguna Niguel and found that a home with a pool costs between $3500 - $7k/month. We leased a great house (4 bedrooms) that hasn't been completely updated (many of the homes my husbands toured were worse) with a fenced pool and yard (1/4 acre lot - over 15,000 sq ft just in the back yard) a mile from the ocean for $5k/month. In LN, a fully updated home with a pool is around $6k/month. And forget about riding bikes (kids) in Laguna, the hills can be killers!

Old 10-06-2007, 10:57 AM

376 posts, read 1,486,906 times
You won't find too many homes with a pool in Laguna unless you want to pay crazy rent. You may want to consider, Laguna Niguel or Aliso Viejo which are just over the hill and maybe 10 minutes away. More track homes, assocation amentities and not the crazy summer traffic in Laguna. You can also take Aliso Creek Trail from several areas down to the beach but as noted above, riding along the beach in Laguna is difficult for that you may want to consider Newport, Huntington.

Laguna is one of the prettiest places to live.

If you want a listing of rentals that are currently available, don't hesitate to send me a note. Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County