Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 04:28 PM

124 posts, read 734,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
Oh we have a newborn on the way, it is not even about school...It is my wife and the crooked group of wolf ladies she runs with.

She used to hate shopping and now that is all she does here. OC has eaten my wife!
To be honest, I think OC has made me shallow too. I would NEVER be caught dead buying $80 jeans in New England. BUT HERE, I now making lame excuses. "Oh but the shops here are soo good." blah blah blah... I need to move out of here NOW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 06:39 PM

895 posts, read 4,249,046 times
Stop being so hard on yourself, investtt. My husband was raised in farm country, Iowa (that's the state that's halfway between the Atlantic and the Pacific Oceans), moved away after college and his family thinks we live on planet Mars now that we live in CA. They can't understand our lifestyle or surroundings. A constant question--Are we sure that we're not going to fall into the ocean sometime soon? Their life works for them but it would never in 1 million years work for me. My husband is very level-headed but he still buys himself Lucky jeans. Just because you like nice things doesn't make you shallow. I met a woman the other day who was talking about her watch and sunglasses, name dropping and price dropping, and I was following along with her but I have no idea what she's talking about. My kids go to private school--not for the status but the education--and I make sure that they understand that we're sacrificing for this. I would love to be able to shop at Fashion Island or wherever people buy their designer duds but that's not a priority in my life right now--my kids are. People who are buying into "this" lifestyle are in search of something that they can't find within themselves. On another note, I would have to agree with YLresident regarding Mach50thunderdart's wife. When I was pregnant with my first child, I was bored and shopped like crazy. Try to get her involved in something besides financially nesting!

Old 10-05-2007, 06:40 PM

895 posts, read 4,249,046 times
P.S. - Thank you for finally having a thread not related to the cost of housing, how awful OC is and traffic!

Old 10-05-2007, 08:05 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FLgirls View Post
P.S. - Thank you for finally having a thread not related to the cost of housing, how awful OC is and traffic!
Bug-A-Boo's are so much more important that housing or traffic!!!

Old 10-05-2007, 08:13 PM

675 posts, read 2,684,750 times
investtt-my solution was to get out of OC and move to New England! I was raised by grandparents who had old school values (they were from PA) regarding money and material things, but I still found it hard as heck to be a teenager in SoCal. We couldn't keep up financially to alot of my class mates. Hopefully it will be a little easier on my kids out here.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:13 PM

317 posts, read 1,758,716 times
Quote:
You people(Bug-A-Boo Owning DB's) are corrupting my wife's mind, I am sending her back to the Bay Area for therapy.

DOWN WITH THE BUG-A-BOO's!
LOLLLLLLLLLL

Old 10-06-2007, 02:26 PM

198 posts, read 931,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KidsforMe View Post
investtt-my solution was to get out of OC and move to New England! I was raised by grandparents who had old school values (they were from PA) regarding money and material things, but I still found it hard as heck to be a teenager in SoCal. We couldn't keep up financially to alot of my class mates. Hopefully it will be a little easier on my kids out here.
I was raised in Yorba Linda, and my high school ranged from very poor to very rich... I was somewhere in the middle. I can't say that I didn't think that it would be nice to be rich sometimes then, but I was a good kid, and I had great friends, so everything else just didn't matter that much. School, choir, sports, drama, and Japanese class were WAY more important to me then.

My dad definitely would've told me what's up if I came home one day telling him he had to buy my designer crap cause some snotty girls at school had it. My mom would've scolded me, too. I did go shopping with my mom every weekend, bu was more a mother-daughter thing to do--we didn't spend hundreds of dollars, maybe just a couple of little things for each of us, and sometimes, nothing. It was just a great way to spend time with each other talking and enjoying each other's company.

Old 10-06-2007, 03:18 PM

253 posts, read 1,107,081 times
Talking Let her have the BUG-A-BOO

Quote:
Isn't it enough that everyone in OC dresses the same and drives the same car?

However now OC parents, have to all buy the $1,000 Bug-A-Boo Stroller?

We are new parents, and I find it sicking that so many people tend to buy these things just so they can stroll around Fashion Island without any worries of judgment. Yes we could buy one too, but it is dorky to look like everyone else for the sole reason of status quo.

Buy a Graco, it is just as nice. You people(Bug-A-Boo Owning DB's) are corrupting my wife's mind, I am sending her back to the Bay Area for therapy.

DOWN WITH THE BUG-A-BOO's!

I have to admit it I am a tad on the materialistic side. I don't live in the OC in fact I'm from nyc. I used to be the type of person that carried cheap purses & bought my shoes at 9west or Macys and bought my clothes at Macys or the GAP. Sex in the City ruined me! I was SUCH a fan of that show that I got curious and bought my 1st pair of Manolo Blahniks because they talked about them so much. It was like crack or meth. I got hooked that quick! From then It was Jimmy Choos to Cristian Louboutins, to Chanel, Gucci Cavalli LV, Dior, Dolce & Gabana, Marc Jacobs, Missoni, Fendi, LV, Prada well you get the picture. I'm now I'm a totally label junkie. I am however not so bad to where I need to have the latest & greatest everything. I am perfectly fine wth buying last seasons stuff from an outlet & unless its an Item that I HAVE to have (like my Louis Vuitton) I always buy things on sale. I consider myself a smart shopper.
That being said I can totally understand what you are saying about the designer clothes for babies. They will grow out of that is no time. Its not at all cost effective and clthes from mid level department store such as Macys or Baby Gap have great quality items for children that cost less. As far as the BUG-A-BOO thats really for your wife. You only live once.Let her have that. You will get a lot of use out of it. Once the baby outgrows it you can always sell it to a consignmen t shop or sell it on Ebay!

Last edited by Calibound-Yorkiemom; 10-06-2007 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-06-2008, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,320 times
Default do what you want

People only do what other people do because they have no courage or conviction. Just drive what you want, wear what you want, say what you want, and as long as you don't hurt anybody do what you want. If your kids see that example they will grow up with a strong sense of self and will never need to be like everyone else.
Hell, I'm a secular humanist in Orange County where they think science text books should be replaced by the bible but I don't care. The city is sweet and safe, I haven't locked my front door for about a year. Take the good with the bad and just be yourself.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:34 PM

198 posts, read 354,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Oh we have a newborn on the way, it is not even about school...It is my wife and the crooked group of wolf ladies she runs with.

She used to hate shopping and now that is all she does here. OC has eaten my wife!
Once bitten there's no return. Just write the checks and hope to hell she stays away from the plastic surgeons and botox dealers.

Good luck, my friend. You can always make a run for it. There are some great hideouts in southeast Utah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County