Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 08:05 PM

356 posts, read 1,066,319 times

Advertisements

The town from a distance looks very lovely, lots of pedestrian, art galleries and restaurants abound. I've never actually cared to involve myself in that scene for the reasons stated above.

I go to laguna beach for its beautiful beaches. You can find tons of little coves and wide stretches of clean sand with sparkling blue pacific waters.

I agree with " it feels exotic" comment, it does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 08:44 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifico View Post
Absolutely beautiful coastline. People there have $ and lots of it. Highly conservative and yes, the snooty factor is alive and well there. Surprisingly, it has a fairly prominent artsy population within; along with art festivals throughout the year. It does have some of that vapid 'real housewives of OC' vibe to it though.
Have you ever visited Laguna Beach? The place is hardly conservative and no, it does not have "that vapid 'real housewives of OC' vibe to it."

You are surprised that Laguna Beach "... has a fairly prominent artsy population within"? I don't understand that.

Last edited by pacific2; 09-21-2012 at 08:58 PM..

Old 09-22-2012, 04:30 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Laguna beach does not have an artsy population within. It IS an artist coloniy with some other people living there too. It is a beautiful quaint little place that is fund ti live. THe coastline is beautiful. There is some decent diving along the Coastline (the only place in OC). The main beach has been the seetings for piles of movies. The town is quaint with loads of little cafes, bars and artist galleries. There is a lively population out on the streets, shopping beaching and going to bars (havily tourist). It is the most liberal place in OC. It is the home of most of the OC gay community. It used to house a large Hari Christna popluation near the beach. IN additioanl to Artists, it is home to quite a lot of authors which is why so many novels are based there. It is a little San Fransisco in OC.

The bad parts are it has limited access. It is alsmot always hard to get in and out of in a car. There is not much parking. It gets too crowded during the summer. Otherwise it is an awesome place to live or visit. Even moderates can live there quite happily with some adjusting.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:40 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oomph View Post
It is an exclusive beach community.
Whom are they excluding? Anyone can go there for the day and use the beaches. When I lived around there I wished we could have excluded a high percentage of the tourists, particularly those not young, attractive, and female.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:43 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avex View Post
I agree with " it feels exotic" comment, it does.
It probably feels "exotic" to you because many of the structures are early 20th century and not the newer styles you find in much of the rest of the county.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:04 AM

3,272 posts, read 3,933,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Whom are they excluding?
To visit? No one.

To live there? Poor people, and that's the way, uh huh, uh huh we like it.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:40 AM

1,557 posts, read 3,306,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
To visit? No one.

To live there? Poor people, and that's the way, uh huh, uh huh we like it.
Wrong. Nice try with your cute fascist remark. Poor people CAN live in Laguna beach. The Hagan Place housing project and the surrounding area is all low income, that neighborhood all has a median income of less than 28,000 a year.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:42 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
There are plenty of affordable places in LB. You just have to give up your need for a lot of living space.

I only have two issues with Laguna:

1) The crowds are crazy stupid during summer weekends
2) Very limited access to the village (and because of the reason above, can make a simple drive out of the village a real chore).

Old 09-22-2012, 02:41 PM

296 posts, read 1,250,511 times
I'm from further inland (RSM/Coto area) so I find Laguna Beach kind of has a hippy vibe to it compared to where I live. I don't find it conservative or real housewives-ish at all. The coastline is breathtakingly beautiful, but the traffic/parking/narrow streets isn't worth it to me. There's always tons of people too, which I don't like. Or maybe I just don't know the right area of LB to visit!

Old 09-22-2012, 08:06 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
I've never even thought of Laguna as being snooty. All of the people I know who have/do live there are non-snooty to the point of being anti-snooty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County