Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 09:01 AM

79 posts, read 347,107 times

Advertisements

I typed this up as this happened to me, but actually my friend is stuck in this situation:

I was sent 4 packages from overseas through a transportation company. Yesterday I drove 300 miles to pick them up in Long Beach, CA. I was lead into the warehouse by the owner of the shipping company and he pointed out 4 packages that those are mine. They were on top of each other, the top one had my name. I did pick up the 4 packages (put them on a dolly they gave me, and was shocked that I was the one who had to do that as the warehouse was full of expensive stuff, like $100K car, what if I accidentally trip over something and hit the car with the dolly????). I put them in my trunk, the owner gave me a receipt and left. I drove home. At home I realized that one of the package was not mine. I called the company right away to let them know. They said I had to drive back to swap out the packages today. I said OK, I would but can I get some compensation for the inconvenience? some Gas money? The owner said no. I said I would meet him halfway and we can swap out the package. He said no, I had to take it back. I said I can mail this one back and pick mine up later. He said no, it can not be mailed, I had to drive it back. Then he said I stole the package. I said how could I have stolen the packages? They were put together, I was told to take them. I admitted that I made a mistake by not looking at the name label on all of them, but they also made a mistake by letting me in the warehouse to pack the packages and not checking what packages were leaving the facility. They said no, I stole the package and they are going to report it to police if I won't take it back by today, because the owner of that package is driving from 500 miles and it has a very expensive musical instrument in it. I said I would drive it back if I could be compensated. At that point I did not even want gas money, just a "yeah, sorry for the inconvenience, we should have looked at the packages too, OR we both made a mistake would have been nice) He said it is totally and 100% my fault and I will be reported to LAPD that I stole the package. What should/can I do? I don't want to drive 600 miles and pay the gas all by myself (I will though, but I don't want to) because that person did not do his job by checking what package leaves the facility (made ME pick up the packages from a place that I probably should not even be let in) and let somebody (me) take a package that does belong to somebody else. I did admit that I made a mistake but them blaming the whole thing on me makes me mad. They made a mistake too. Can he accuse me of stealing? When I called him about the mistake, I did want to resolve the problem (I still do) but I want the same from them. I never said I want to keep the package, he can come and pick it up anytime, or I can mail it or drop it off at the local police, I DO NOT WANT THAT PACKAGE! It is unopened and safe. I also tried to get a hold of the owner of the package to let him know what happened, but he has not answered me. I just want the shipper to admit he made a mistake and now he is accusing me and threatening me. What can/should I do? It makes me mad that he lets packages be taken out of his hand that he should be responsible for and 100% blaming me. I made a mistake by not looking at the label (although he had the 4 package on top of each other and pointed at them that those are mine), but he was not doing his job by putting the wrong packages together, making me carry them out, not checking the labels of the packages I took, and gave me the receipt that i took MY stuff (I did not sign anything). AND I paid a lot of money to him for this service...
Is it a valid idea of dropping it of at the local police station? OR...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 09:08 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
You've got a receipt for 4 packages, and you've got 4 packages, right?

No theft involved.

He's still got your package. One of the packages he gave you belongs to someone else. His fault. Don't let him intimidate you. Tell him he bears part of the responsibility, and that you expect him to compensate you for the second trip. It's his job to provide reliable service. He failed you and the other customer. If he continues to give you a hard time, contact the person who sold you the products you ordered, and explain what happened, and tell them what you want to happen.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:10 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
My thought was dropping it off at the local police station, explain the situation to them, sounds like the other guy is trying to cover his tracks and put the blame on you, honestly I wouldnt want an unknown package laying around at my house. As for the addressee not contacting you, if you do hear from him you can refer him to the local police station as well. Driving all that way is unreasonable (I dont even know if I w/h done it for a package(s) addressed to myself unless it was something that for some reason coudlnt be shipped closer which sounds unreasonable. Bottom line, the person you dealt w/ is being unreasonable, would let the police contact him and handle it, the sooner it's out of your hands, the better imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by butacska View Post
I typed this up as this happened to me, but actually my friend is stuck in this situation:

I was sent 4 packages from overseas through a transportation company. Yesterday I drove 300 miles to pick them up in Long Beach, CA. I was lead into the warehouse by the owner of the shipping company and he pointed out 4 packages that those are mine. They were on top of each other, the top one had my name. I did pick up the 4 packages (put them on a dolly they gave me, and was shocked that I was the one who had to do that as the warehouse was full of expensive stuff, like $100K car, what if I accidentally trip over something and hit the car with the dolly????). I put them in my trunk, the owner gave me a receipt and left. I drove home. At home I realized that one of the package was not mine. I called the company right away to let them know. They said I had to drive back to swap out the packages today. I said OK, I would but can I get some compensation for the inconvenience? some Gas money? The owner said no. I said I would meet him halfway and we can swap out the package. He said no, I had to take it back. I said I can mail this one back and pick mine up later. He said no, it can not be mailed, I had to drive it back. Then he said I stole the package. I said how could I have stolen the packages? They were put together, I was told to take them. I admitted that I made a mistake by not looking at the name label on all of them, but they also made a mistake by letting me in the warehouse to pack the packages and not checking what packages were leaving the facility. They said no, I stole the package and they are going to report it to police if I won't take it back by today, because the owner of that package is driving from 500 miles and it has a very expensive musical instrument in it. I said I would drive it back if I could be compensated. At that point I did not even want gas money, just a "yeah, sorry for the inconvenience, we should have looked at the packages too, OR we both made a mistake would have been nice) He said it is totally and 100% my fault and I will be reported to LAPD that I stole the package. What should/can I do? I don't want to drive 600 miles and pay the gas all by myself (I will though, but I don't want to) because that person did not do his job by checking what package leaves the facility (made ME pick up the packages from a place that I probably should not even be let in) and let somebody (me) take a package that does belong to somebody else. I did admit that I made a mistake but them blaming the whole thing on me makes me mad. They made a mistake too. Can he accuse me of stealing? When I called him about the mistake, I did want to resolve the problem (I still do) but I want the same from them. I never said I want to keep the package, he can come and pick it up anytime, or I can mail it or drop it off at the local police, I DO NOT WANT THAT PACKAGE! It is unopened and safe. I also tried to get a hold of the owner of the package to let him know what happened, but he has not answered me. I just want the shipper to admit he made a mistake and now he is accusing me and threatening me. What can/should I do? It makes me mad that he lets packages be taken out of his hand that he should be responsible for and 100% blaming me. I made a mistake by not looking at the label (although he had the 4 package on top of each other and pointed at them that those are mine), but he was not doing his job by putting the wrong packages together, making me carry them out, not checking the labels of the packages I took, and gave me the receipt that i took MY stuff (I did not sign anything). AND I paid a lot of money to him for this service...
Is it a valid idea of dropping it of at the local police station? OR...?

Old 09-21-2012, 11:38 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,240 times
Now I'm curious to see what's in the package.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:03 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
Now I'm curious to see what's in the package.
Something he doesn't want going by USPS, UPS, or trucking company. Hmmmm.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:28 PM

774 posts, read 1,777,672 times
He's threatening to file a false police report in order to make you do his bidding. That's got to be illegal. File a police report yourself. Give the cops the package. File a complaint with BBB (takes 10 minutes). Post your story on reddit, 4chan and the like if you want to a mob of people to call the guy and explain why he's wrong.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:40 PM

774 posts, read 1,777,672 times
It helps to have a record of your communication with this guy. Try to (lawfully) record the conversation, or take it to email.

Also... Yelp.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:53 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
My feeling on this:
- If you really had 4 packages coming to you then they should have grouped them together, if you grabbed the 4 they told you to take, they failed to do their job.
-but-
- As a recipient, it is also your responsibility to verify what you are picking up is the correct item. For multiple items, you should have checked each item individually so you failed too.

Outcome: Cost and Inconvenience should be split at least evenly. You getting compensated for 2/3 of your gas cost (at least) makes sense. Why more than 1/2? Well, driving 600 miles is about 10 hours of driving, that is an inconvenience and it should have a $ value, no?

I think as others mentioned, he is using scare tactics to get you to pay for his own stupid mistakes. Don't give in, stand your ground, tell him you spoke to your attorney and this was their fault, etc. to see if he becomes more reasonable.
If not, I'd suggest you see (free) consultation from an attorney to see where you stand from a legal point of view.

PS. That is one adorable (lab?) puppy!

Old 09-23-2012, 08:39 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
I would call the better business bureau and file a complaint asap. You may be able to do so online. Also, look on the web for the Administration offices of this company...they may be in another state. Call and speak....and write a follow up email/letter whatever....keeping a copy for yourself, make sure there is a date. In that call/letter tell the admins everything that has transpired, from going to pick up your packages, being told to grab the stack...bla bla...And especially how you've been treated by this location person...I think they should be picking up the packages at their own expense....I've never heard of having to drive 300 miles to pick up shipments??? What kind of transportation company is this?? I definitely think they are in the wrong, and only multiplied this by their treatment of you.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:32 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Something about this story doesn't wash. I'm guessing there's more to it than we've been told. Why wasn't this stuff just sent via normal door to door shipping methods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County