U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 02:03 PM

643 posts, read 1,416,018 times

Advertisements

If I click on one more ad on Craiglist that says "gorgeous -- amazing -- or incredible ocean view" on houses for lease in coastal OC towns, only to open the ad and find photos of everything but an ocean view, I'm going to choose another area where the prices are lower. I'd like to have a list of properties to see for an upcoming relo trip, but I can't for the life of me figure out why they don't have photos that deliver the headline's major feature. Some of these homes look lovely in the other 4-10 photos -- but it's the view I care about -- and the claim of an "amazing/incredible/gorgeous ocean view they used to get my attention.

Any ideas? Don't tell me they're all lying. I don't believe that for a second. Is it the smog?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 03:15 PM

30,255 posts, read 74,433,882 times
It mihgt be a peek a boo view out one bathroom window. Or it could be a view marred by houses in front of the home. Sometimes a "view" is difficult to capture with a camera. Maybe it was cloudy ont he day they took the picture. Maybe they do not want to show the school, factory or other loud/obnoxious thing that is also in the view. Perhaps the realtors are just dumb? This can be a fun guessing game.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:32 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,020,093 times
Try http://www.realtor.com

Old 09-25-2012, 10:08 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,045,389 times
Why are you depending only on Craigslist to look for housing ? Check better websites --- homes.com, realtor. com, zillow. com, trulia. com, etc. to look for properties. You'll get more info that Craigslist. Also since you know the name of the realty company, look at the company's website. There is usually much more extensive info than on Craigslist for the same property.

Good luck

Old 09-26-2012, 06:29 AM

I'm using ALL of those sites, and it makes no difference! Craigslist, btw, is much more useful than you'd think for house rentals (vs buying in which it's essentially useless). We used it for our last corporate relo on the east coast and the realtor had done such a beautiful job with the photos of the ocean views from several rooms of the house, we were ready to sign the lease the minute we met him at his office. Saved us a ton of time -- and for those of you who have done a lot of corporate relos (we've done 9 of them) you know that time is everything on those trips!

Even the emails I'm receiving daily from realtors with the MLS listings that fit my criteria don't have photos of the ocean views they've written about.

The adjectives are splenderifous ;- ) but show me the photos of that "fabulous, amazing, incredible" ocean view!

Old 09-28-2012, 12:56 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,047,982 times
From what I've noticed, realtors aren't very good photographers.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:05 PM

11,715 posts, read 38,799,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Van Fossen View Post
From what I've noticed, realtors aren't very good photographers.
They're also loose with the truth. So I'm going with the theory that a lot of these amazing, gorgeous ocean views need a step ladder and a pair of binoculars to see.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:38 PM

16,801 posts, read 37,721,734 times
Realtors are masters of hyperbole.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:08 PM

11,715 posts, read 38,799,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Realtors are masters of hyperbole.
No, they just all pull adjectives from the same handbook.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
They're also loose with the truth. So I'm going with the theory that a lot of these amazing, gorgeous ocean views need a step ladder and a pair of binoculars to see.
I'm going with that one, Escape.

I've emailed requesting more photos, requesting them from directly inside the houses -- and the two realtors (of 7 so far) who responded are the only two I know for sure we will meet during our relo trip.

I've also learned that many of the realtors advertising rentals online have never actually seen the property themselves (other than perhaps a drive-by) because they're not the listing agents. They just cut and paste MLS listings into ads and hope to find some clients that way. I'm surprised that's allowed among licsensed realtors by the MLS (or whomever governs that industry). I read one long listing where a realtor said (I'm paraphrasing): don't be confused -- I am the one and only listing agent on this property -- call me directly and ignore other ads with the same info.

Interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County