Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 06:59 PM

670 posts, read 2,114,412 times

Advertisements

FYI: Los Altos, Belmont Shores and Belmont Park are all parts of Long Beach on the eastside. Good luck whatever you decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 10:40 PM

110 posts, read 440,062 times
I guess that was a poor attempt at humor...still, don't need people apologizing for me.

Seriously, when you're here you will see what I mean about money trumping all and a Lexus in every garage. People don't make $60k per household here. I think you're wrong about taking state income and using it in this area. Check city-by-city stats. Anaheim Hills, for instance, is at $123K per household.

If I were you, I would not take the job in Irvine. The commutes will kill both of you (I do 1.7 hours each way, so I speak from experience). I know you think LA and Seattle traffic are similar, but they are not. Check the latest traffic stats. LA and OC are in the tops and only getting worse. Look for something IN LA and live near where and your husband work. I work with many people that live in and around Monrovia and they love it. If you haven't already post this on the LA board and I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses.

Like I said before, don't discount the negative feel back you are getting. It's not just people with monetary chips on their shoulders.

If you're still serious about spending all that time commuting...you really should get the IS series. It's a big hit in Irvine.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:11 PM

575 posts, read 1,778,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by egyptianheidi View Post
Hi-

We've been following several of these threads for months, and have learned so much! We currently live in rainy Seattle. We have a lovely home, drive 10 minutes to work, and are close to family and friends. However, my husband recently received a job offer in Irvine that is nearly twice his current salary. I may also have a job lined up in Monrovia earning slightly more than I do now. We would make 3-4 times the California state average as far as salaries go.

My advice would be to really consider the long commute issue, it can absolutely impact your quality of life. Since you mentioned the possibility of living on one income in the future, maybe you could take a look at living in Irvine? Granted you would have to deal with a hellacious commute for now, but if you repeat over and over that it won't be forever maybe it will get you through.

Personally a lovely home with a 10 minute commute and close to family and friends sounds really good to me.
But only you can decide if the higher salary, the possibility of future advancement, and the adventure make a move worth it.

If you do relocate don't discount the good school district thing when looking for a house though, even if it is not a concern for you now. I guarantee it will impact your value when you go to sell. Often the best areas for schools are also the safest and maintain value the best. Irvine is good for all the above (well, I won't make any bets on maintaining value since I think OC RE as a whole is way overvalued right now... but that's a whole different thread)

I do think you would be fine on your combined salaries - but don't put too much stock in the fact that you will be making significantly more than the CA average. You need to be. Millions of folks were already homeowners before housing costs spiraled out of control. They can live comfortably on significantly less than someone coming into So Cal and trying to buy at current prices. Housing is the biggest factor that pushes overall cost of living so high in So Cal.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:39 PM

58 posts, read 408,661 times
Someone else said,

Personally a lovely home with a 10 minute commute and close to family and friends sounds really good to me.

That is such good advice. Of course your husband can make twice as much here. So do I in my job as do my professional counterparts in the midwest. My husband also makes twice what his counterparts do there, too. I grew up here and my whole family is here, that's why we're here.

On our dual income household with a very comfortable combined income we still would find it very hard to afford a house similar to my parents' home in Yorba Linda that they bought for 31,000 on one income, so long ago. The housing prices here are ridiculous.

If you plan on staying home some day to raise a family (as I did), then especially think about staying in your more affordable area.

Money isn't everything. It is rather gratifying in an egotistical way to know you make a great salary, but to me where you live now sounds fantastic.

I already responded on your commuter thread, by the way, so I won't go on about that here.

Interestingly enough, my husband my soon have the chance to work within two miles of our home, for the first time ever not driving at least 20-40 miles one way to work. If he takes the job, he'll earn between 10-27 percent LESS than he makes now. Nonetheless he just may do it to avoid the commute.

Listen to these folks on these boards, even the negative comments about this area. There's a reason for them.

One more observation, and I am not intending to offend anyone. My husband and I have driven to the midwest many times on family vacations. The further away from this state we get, the friendlier the people working in businesses have become. Once while shopping in a small town in the midwest I was simply floored by the friendly, helpful owner. You will not find that in California, ever. Well, I certainly haven't and I've lived here for 48 years. I bet you find that same sort of friendly spirit in Seattle.

Let us know what you decided to do!

Old 10-09-2007, 11:01 PM

543 posts, read 1,900,564 times
My advice to you would be to stay in Seattle and travel here for a little adventure. I have lived here all my life , I am 42. I have 4 kids and live in Los Alamitos, close to the beach, great community, great school district and I want out. We are trying to relocate to the East Coast to be closer to my husband's family but I have kids in high school so it is a tough decision.
Irvine is a nice place but yes traffic is awful pretty much most of the day. Signal Hill has definitely improved but surrounding areas are not good at all. Forget Artesia, not a good location period. You will not find half the beauty you have in Seattle, not to mention fresh air, real people, and your money will go a lot further. The prices here in OC are ridiculous and although there are some great people the over all atmosphere is who has what and who looks better than who. Believe me there is more to life than good weather. Don't do it!

Old 10-10-2007, 01:14 AM

2 posts, read 9,237 times
Default Our Experience in SoCal

I wish we could move to Seattle!! At all cost, please visit SoCal and spend like a week or 2 to make sure you like it here.

As a person who came to OC last year and is leaving here again this winter, I try to list as many pros and cons about SoCal here (for me of course).

Cons
We lived in Charlottesville, Virginia- a beautiful town with lots of nature as well as its intellectual community - to Orange county last year. The mistake we made was to take an attitude of trusting the TV series, OC as the portrait of what really SoCal is. Of course, I was in OC for a few days for the interview, but I didn't see drawbacks of living here because I was so focused on getting the job.

I am 100% sure that you WILL miss the beautiful green AND even rain in Seattle if you relocate here. In addition, I can't explain how bad the traffic is here. You may be excited about exploring LA and beaches etc.., but you never get to do anything because you spend most of your time in your car. Wheares more is going on in LA, you just don't get to do as much here. Given the fact that you are moving from Seattle, the only place you MAY like would be Pasadena (east of LA), I think (if the commute is not bad). It's not as tacky as other parts of Southern California, and there are many cute restaurants, stores, and theaters etc..

Pros:
I don't agree with comments about people not being nice in SoCal. I've met pretty nice people here. I even thought people in Seattle were not as friendly as people here when I visited Seattle. However, you can't discount the fact that these californians are always under extra stress by being in traffic all the time. If you feel like people are not nice in SoCal, you have to take that into account.

Food in SoCal is VERY good. There are just countless ethnic restaurants here. Food is pretty inexpensive too.

Given these pros and cons, we decided to move back to the east this winter. Everybody has different tastes, and you don't know if you like something unless you really try. However, I just thought that our experience may help you make decisions.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:47 AM

198 posts, read 931,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaCaNc View Post

Cons
We lived in Charlottesville, Virginia- a beautiful town with lots of nature as well as its intellectual community - to Orange county last year. The mistake we made was to take an attitude of trusting the TV series, OC as the portrait of what really SoCal is. Of course, I was in OC for a few days for the interview, but I didn't see drawbacks of living here because I was so focused on getting the job.
All those OC shows (the OC, Laguna Beach, Newport whatever:the real OC, Real OC housewives) suck as far their portrayal of actual Orange County life goes.There are colors other than White in Orange County, and we aren't all a bunch of self-absorbed, snotty, ditsy, A-holes. "the OC" is about as much Orange County as "Baywatch" was LA. Or whatever the hell Baywatch was supposed to be. Those shows do a serious disservice to those people sucked into the hype those shows push about Orange County. The movie "Orange County" rubbed me the wrong way, too--although, I did like its soundtrack.

If you're a big city person looking for big city life in OC... good luck. You're going to be disappointed. For example, Irvine has a huge number of large businesses, a big university (UCI), and a huge population (180,800 is pretty big for OC)--but is just about the most boring and beige city in all of Orange County. They're so Stepford it ain't even funny. It's a great city--don't doubt that... safest city in the US, awesome schools & university, tons of jobs, lots of parks, good shopping, clean (though beige) neighborhoods, and plenty of police keeping the peace.

So Cal has one big city--LA. California really only has one big metropolitan city, though--San Francisco. Even LA's all spread out on tons of land and they're still some green and not actually that many tall buildings...

Orange County never has been big city, prolly never will be. Don't people get that the C in OC is county? Seriously, if OC were as bangin' as TV makes it out to be, wouldn't you think everyone would be talking about a specific city? We need all of our little cities put together just to be recognized by others.

We are not "the OC." I don't even know anyone named Mischa, or Marissa, whatever. >_<

Old 10-10-2007, 05:46 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
I'd look at Long Beach - there are so many nice areas in Long Beach - many of them on or near the water......Belmont heights, and California Heights, Bixby Hills, Virginia Country Club are great neighborhoods (I adore Virginia Country Club) - College Park Estates is beautiful and near the university. Lots of historic, pedestrian oriented neighborhoods near restaurants and shopping. None of these areas are cheap but then nothing located in a nice neighborhood is.

We also love Seal Beach - the area south of Pacific Coast Highway (old town) - a great little town with an old historic main street with lots of shops, restaurants, a beautiful marina and bay that borders Long Beach - many community events....surfing, a nice pier, lots of para-surfing and kite flying, sailing, fishing - a flip-flop and shorts atmosphere where all the locals know each other.

Here are a couple of houses that are for sale in old town - the least expensive I could find.

REALTOR.com: Find a Home - Listing Detail

REALTOR.com: Find a Home - Listing Detail

Old 10-14-2007, 12:39 PM

104 posts, read 446,899 times
Basically Artesia is not the place to live in, it is the home of Little India if that is what you are looking for. Cerritos is nice just overpriced (some areas are sketchy though). You will be stuck in traffic on the 605 going to monrovia every morning since you would be passing major freeways the 5, 105, 60, 10 so it is really hard to say that Artesia and Signal Hill would be a good idea plus those areas are rough. Maybe try an area of the 57 or 55, maybe yorba linda, anaheim hills, or villa park. hope this helps

Old 10-15-2007, 11:32 PM

38,880 posts, read 22,864,124 times
Exclamation Pootie562

Quote:
Originally Posted by pootie562 View Post
Basically Artesia is not the place to live in, it is the home of Little India if that is what you are looking for. Cerritos is nice just overpriced (some areas are sketchy though). You will be stuck in traffic on the 605 going to monrovia every morning since you would be passing major freeways the 5, 105, 60, 10 so it is really hard to say that Artesia and Signal Hill would be a good idea plus those areas are rough. Maybe try an area of the 57 or 55, maybe yorba linda, anaheim hills, or villa park. hope this helps
Hey, Pootie562---

I grew up in Cerritos WAY back when it was a cow town, complete with the barnyard aromas. You sound like you might be in college, so this is definitely before you were even born! In fact, the neighborhood I lived in is located next to what is now Cerritos Towne Center, the Center for the Performing Arts, the Cerritos Sheraton and all those office buildings clustered around it.

Regarding your comment in bold print above--I agree that Cerritos is overpriced as far as real estate is concerned. However, I'd like to know what areas of Cerritos you consider "sketchy"? Could you please give the nearest cross streets. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County