Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 07:13 PM

31 posts, read 257,740 times

Advertisements

That helps a great deal! Thank everyone for their help on this important decision. I'm starting to learn toward my original choice which was Huntington Beach. Can anyone recommend and nice specific apartments there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 10:07 PM

683 posts, read 4,616,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivax View Post
Coronado is the place behind Harbor high's parking lot/football stadium?
It's dumpy. I took piano lessons in there when I was 12, that was 30 years ago and it was dumpy then. And who'd want to live behind a high school?

Utilities:
I haven't lived in an apartment in a long time, but here's some utilities for my 1500sq ft house, maybe that would help.

gas: $35
I rarely heat the house, say from around sundown til bedtime during a couple months a year, keeping it low. During those times my heating bill can be $60-70.
Other than that, it just runs the water heater.

water: can be about 60 a month, but I water front and back lawns, and a washing machine. You probably wouldn't have that much in an apt.

electricity: $75-90, I have 2 refrigerators, fish tanks and some computers that run 24/7.

phone: I just have a land line so I can have their DSL service.
the basic phone is ~15 a month, the DSL is $29.95.
I only use a cell, in fact, don't laugh, but I have to think twice just to remember my house land line.

I pay for trash, but I don't believe a renter would have to.
I think it's 18 a month.

Hope that helps any.

I lived in a pretty big 2 bedroom apartment in Costa Mesa for three years, and never paid more than $28 for electricity. I'd say buy one fridge and don't leave stuff on all day and you'll be fine. I also never had a heating bill over $35. In one place where I lived, I didn't have to pay for trash, water, or sewage. However, in another apartment I had to pay for all three things every month and it was a $54 flat fee.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:53 AM

Thanks! Does anyone have any specific apartments in HB we should look at?

Old 10-16-2007, 12:02 PM

499 posts, read 2,157,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uppercut1134 View Post
Thanks! Does anyone have any specific apartments in HB we should look at?
Do you want to be in quiet neighborhoods, near the pier, full-service (pools, weight rooms, function rooms), or do you want a 4-plex nestled among homes?

Also, HB is big. Any idea where abouts you want to live?
Give a few more parameters, I'll see what I can find for you.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:53 PM

Near the beach or pier if possible or in a nice residential area with shopping close.

Pool, spa, gym etc...

Old 02-08-2008, 11:08 PM

3 posts, read 11,364 times
Omg yu people **** me off talking about my city like that.**** ive lived here longer than any of yu mother****ers and yu dont see me complaining about any mexicans or gangs.yu guys need 2 grow some balls because theyre not that scary just because mexican families probably have at least 1 gang member and could wipe out your family like nothing.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:34 AM

36 posts, read 157,150 times
Default Apartment Advice

Hi, my advice is don't live in a complex at all (unless having a spa/pool/weight room is important to you). Either checkout craigslist, or drive around East Side (in a square with the street borders of 22nd, Irvine, 17th and Orange, that covers a lot of ground) and you will see lots of For Rent signs for garage apartments, granny flats, duplexes etc.). People often don't even advertise the best places except with a sign. Then when you see something you like, jump on it. That's how we found our apt in 1998 -- it was a duplex on Rochester, really nice landscaping and we even had a small yard -- for $1100/month. Granted, rent prices are probably a lot higher now but in that area there is a lot of pride of ownership and I feel that the rentals are generally kept up very nicely and have lots of personality. We had a friend who rented a 1-bd apt/duplex on Broadway. It had wood floors, a fireplace, and was gorgeous. East side is like Mayberry USA, more gardeners there than you can shake a stick at so everyone's yard is killer. There are great places on Westside too and rent will be way lower, again check craigslist. Good luck.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:50 PM

112 posts, read 406,191 times
Huntington apartments are older but are closer to the coast. Irvine apartments are nicer, but are more inland. Try looking at the South Coast Metro area - it's basically Santa Ana right next to South Coast Plaza. It's more urban and busy and somewhat lively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County