Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 03:59 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,977 times

Advertisements

It will last as long as QE is effective. Once it's ineffective, they'll switch to another strategy, like I don't know, giving people money to take a loan.

I actually feel bad for the younger types making a home purchase these days. Only 15 years ago, we had a normal housing market with normal prices. Seems like only yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 06:51 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
Only 15 years ago, we had a normal housing market with normal prices. Seems like only yesterday.
Below is the Case Shiller home price index for the Los Angeles area. About 15 years ago, the index was around 100. Today it is around 160. That's a 60% increase in 15 years or a little over 3% per year.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 11-16-2012, 08:09 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Below is the Case Shiller home price index for the Los Angeles area. About 15 years ago, the index was around 100. Today it is around 160. That's a 60% increase in 15 years or a little over 3% per year.

[IMG][/IMG]
Except those numbers aren't uniform across the region. For every house in Compton or Victorville that's the same price it was 15 years ago, there's one in Irvine or Huntington Beach that's tripled in value.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:47 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Except those numbers aren't uniform across the region. For every house in Compton or Victorville that's the same price it was 15 years ago, there's one in Irvine or Huntington Beach that's tripled in value.

Also, rates in 1997 were 6.5% today they're less than 3% (I just refinanced for 2.75% - I love writing that.)

Old 11-16-2012, 10:13 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
I have looked at socal real estate from an investment perspective and it doesn't seem to be worth it at all. The potential rent you'll make hardly give you any profit for your investment. The only way I can figure you can make a profit is if you slumlord the investment. For example, convert the garage to a rentable space, convert the living room to rentable space and maybe sell some of the backyard as vehicle storage. If you do that you MIGHT make 10% profit. Seems like the real estate prices need to fall another 15%
I don't think you understand real estate investing. You don't normally profit from the rent. That normally just covers your expenses while you carry the property. You make your money on the resale.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:18 AM

82 posts, read 131,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Don't be fooled. The people buying have outside money. I know the Chinese have been snapping up OC real estate as investments. The Chinese market is in a bubble so investors over there are bringing their capital to the US because the market over here has bottomed out and stabilized.

The local economy is NOT improving. The economic data shows it. Incomes aren't even beating inflation. So technically everyone is getting a pay decrease as an aggregate. If housing prices go up, it's definitively not a result of local economic improvement.
I concur. This article from the Orange County Register was both sad and eye opening: Report: Many in Orange County lack basic needs | county, orange, - Life - The Orange County Register (Report: Many in Orange County lack basic needs)
Many of the houses that are available are being bought by investeros, especially those that are on the short sale list. The OC is a mess.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:10 PM

3,888 posts, read 4,542,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola The yorkie View Post
I have no clue who or what you are..but your post totally insulted me

our desert home cost nearly half a million 4 years ago..so hardly buying shaving cream at the dollar store

our other home is valued at 1.2 million....

we have always been in great financial shape..again..we did not spend everything we made..so at ages 68 and 73 we could easily buy another "shaving cream" home
Er... um... I wasn't thinking of your comment at all, in my post.
I was referring to the uber wealthy foreign investors, primarily the Chinese, that our real estate agent was telling us about.

As to you and anyone else who was wise enough and disciplined enough to save and buy when you were younger, my hats are off to you and don't begrudge others who've done the same.

So hands off your hips and blow away the huff now!

Old 11-17-2012, 01:47 PM

My parents sold their house in San Bernardino County in the late 60s for $35K, which is the equivalent of about $235K today. Zillow puts its current value at $287K, an appreciation rate not that much greater than the CPI. Prices in the inland areas don't seem to have escalated excessively. However, in prime coastal locations it's been somewhat greater. However not that many people wanted to live in South OC in the 60s and there was of course much more vacant land than there is now.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:57 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
My parents sold their house in San Bernardino County in the late 60s for $35K, which is the equivalent of about $235K today. Zillow puts its current value at $287K, an appreciation rate not that much greater than the CPI. Prices in the inland areas don't seem to have escalated excessively. However, in prime coastal locations it's been somewhat greater. However not that many people wanted to live in South OC in the 60s and there was of course much more vacant land than there is now.
My husband's grandmother was one of the few people who fell in love with South OC in the late 1940s, so much that she took her children and grandchildren every year from Manitoba to Laguna Beach for vacation. In 1950, she packed them all up, moved them all down to Laguna, and bought as many pieces of land she could afford, most were located half a block or right across from the beach. One of those properties was (and still is) the family home, a small beach cottage on a small corner lot located half a block from Main Beach, which she paid $8,000 then. According to an online CPI inflation calculator, that's the equivalence of $76,785 today. Many realtors have been offering my husband's family between 1.2M and 1.4M for the lot alone (the cottage is worth nothing and would not be saved, they said.)

Husband paid $61K in 1982 for his house in Top of the World, two miles up the hill from downtown Laguna, and sold it 15 years later in 1997 for $385K. Its current value is $915K.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 11-17-2012 at 04:18 PM..

Old 11-17-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
My husband's grandmother was one of the few people who fell in love with South OC in the late 1940s, so much that she took her children and grandchildren every year from Manitoba to Laguna Beach for vacation. In 1950, she packed them all up, moved them all down to Laguna, and bought as many pieces of land she could afford, most were located half a block or right across from the beach. One of those properties was (and still is) the family home, a small beach cottage on a small corner lot located half a block from Main Beach, which she paid $8,000 then. According to an online CPI inflation calculator, that's the equivalence of $76,785 today. Many realtors have been offering my husband's family between 1.2M and 1.4M for the lot alone (the cottage is worth nothing and would not be saved, they said.)

Husband paid $61K in 1982 for his house in Top of the World, two miles up the hill from downtown Laguna, and sold it 15 years later in 1997 for $385K. Its current value is $915K.
My parents built a house in what's now in Dana Point for about $150K including the lot in 1968/9. That's the equivalent of about $1 million in today's dollars. It would sell for about $2.5 million now. Most of the cost back then was the structure as the lot only cost about $35K. The value of the land is now a much larger percentage of the combination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County