Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 09:58 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,440,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNA27 View Post
We've been advised by posters on the LA forum that any commute from Orange County would be just as bad as anything that we're considering in LA County. But something like HB might work if there was a work schedule like 6am to 2:30pm.
(I was probably one of those posters.)

Look at this map and look for blue dots. In general, these place aren't that bad. It's just a rough graphic but you can see where really low performing schools are and really high performing schools are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 11:53 AM

64 posts, read 128,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
(I was probably one of those posters.)

Look at this map and look for blue dots. In general, these place aren't that bad. It's just a rough graphic but you can see where really low performing schools are and really high performing schools are.
I don't see a map. Was there supposed to be a link?

Schools are a non-issue, though. I have a daughter who attends school out of state, and we have no other children.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNA27 View Post
I don't see a map. Was there supposed to be a link?

Schools are a non-issue, though. I have a daughter who attends school out of state, and we have no other children.

Whoops, yes there was.....

School quality often goes hand in hand with neighborhood desirability. Even if you have no school age kids, you still might want to live in an area with good schools.

California School Performance Maps

Old 11-09-2012, 05:58 PM

108 posts, read 289,469 times
Me and my wife have several married friends who moved out of OC and now live in places like Chicago, San Antonio, Memphis, and Dallas. Each one of them wants to move back, but can no longer afford to do so cause the house prices are unaffordable, their kids are now used to the schools, etc. There's no place like Southern California, especially OC and San Diego. I have learned from their mistakes, and will not ever move out of this area.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayolm View Post
Me and my wife have several married friends who moved out of OC and now live in places like Chicago, San Antonio, Memphis, and Dallas. Each one of them wants to move back, but can no longer afford to do so cause the house prices are unaffordable, their kids are now used to the schools, etc. There's no place like Southern California, especially OC and San Diego. I have learned from their mistakes, and will not ever move out of this area.
I guess it depends on when they moved out. If they moved out in 1997, then yes it will be tough. But if they moved out in 2006, it's cheaper now and interest rates are much lower.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:50 PM

9 posts, read 11,093 times
As this once great nation continues its accelerating slippery slide into the dark abyss of economic and moral collapse, I believe that OC will be one of the last nation-wide areas to "go under" ..so to speak. If we think of the United States of America as being the Titanic, then living in OC would be like standing on the stern (that's the back end for those nautically-challenged) as the ship slowly sinks. You know, just like Leo DeCaprio in the movie. Sure it'll go under too eventually but at least the end will be delayed.

NYC on the other hand is much closer to the bow metaphorically speaking and -as we've all recently just witnessed- it'll be one of the first to go underwater. BTW, I wonder how many here are aware of the fact that trillions of dollars worth of stocks and other paper certificates were completely destroyed when Manhattan's underground vaults became flooded?

Now ...all together ...let's raise our collective voices dear comrades & chant "Hope & Change®"! and "Yes, We Can®"!

Enjoy!

Last edited by ObamaBlows; 11-12-2012 at 07:50 PM..

Old 11-12-2012, 07:19 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,628,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayolm View Post
I tell people this all the time. I've had several friends move with hopes to "fulfill their financial dreams" because "the cost of living is way better" then a couple years later they want to move back. They all say the same thing, that yeah things cost less but people don't get paid as much either so it's almost the same thing with an even more boring lifestyle...but hindsight is only 20/20.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObamaBlows View Post
the fact that trillions of dollars worth of stocks and other paper certificates were completely destroyed when Manhattan's underground vaults became flooded?
Can't they simply be printed again?

Old 11-14-2012, 07:24 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,772,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Can't they simply be printed again?
Maybe we should go paperless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County