Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 10:45 AM

5 posts, read 17,011 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a great contractor that does not subcontract? Im looking for some one to install floors throughout the 1st floor of my newly constructed home in Irvine. Its just a flat concrete slab. I have my own wood floors so i just need the installation. I also need someone to lay a 9x9ft concrete slab in my yard. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 01:19 PM

590 posts, read 1,248,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewen1 View Post
Does anyone have a great contractor that does not subcontract? Im looking for some one to install floors throughout the 1st floor of my newly constructed home in Irvine. Its just a flat concrete slab. I have my own wood floors so i just need the installation. I also need someone to lay a 9x9ft concrete slab in my yard. Any help would be appreciated.

I am curious...why do you need a contractor at all??? If you have the wood,,,look in the yellow pages and call several wood retailers,,invite at least three over for estimates and to evaluate them...I would think having your own wood would make this job less desirable to a contractor..as they make the most money selling you the product..

same for concrete slab...you could also ask around your neighbors and coworkers for names..

personally I don't think many general contractors want such small jobs..and likely such work would be subbed out ..

good luck

Old 02-15-2011, 01:21 PM

394 posts, read 966,662 times
I know a Handyman Guy who has done some painting and drywall repair for me. He also does tile and some concrete work. His prices are fair and he is quite conscientious, too. I am pretty sure that he could do your floor installation. He will tell you if he's uncomfortable undertaking the job - just ask him. He has a license (I know) and insurance (I think).
Call Rick Rea @ 714-235-1499

Old 02-15-2011, 03:24 PM

987 posts, read 1,745,449 times
Good point asking around here (CD), whatever you do, stay away from Craigslist, most of them subcontract, the prices are somewhat low for a reason & almost most of Skilled Trade services are not licensed or insured/bonded. (we've heard numerous complaints regarding that issue)

Old 02-17-2011, 10:23 AM

Awesome, thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbybee View Post
I know a Handyman Guy who has done some painting and drywall repair for me. He also does tile and some concrete work. His prices are fair and he is quite conscientious, too. I am pretty sure that he could do your floor installation. He will tell you if he's uncomfortable undertaking the job - just ask him. He has a license (I know) and insurance (I think).
Call Rick Rea @ 714-235-1499

Old 02-17-2011, 10:28 AM

The reason why i ask is because i have hired highly rated contractors on angies list for my other home. Each contractor ripped me off. They hired subcontractors off the street for pennies on the dollar. The work was mediocre with a few poor spots. I did not even see the original contractor until the job was done and he wanted to collect on the money.

So why would i want to go through that again. I would like to give my money directly to the person actually doing the work and for a much cheaper. Im just trying to be smart with my money. Ive seen people pay up to $16k to lay down 800sq ft and i have seen people pay $6k to lay down the same floor for with better installation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurserosie View Post
I am curious...why do you need a contractor at all??? If you have the wood,,,look in the yellow pages and call several wood retailers,,invite at least three over for estimates and to evaluate them...I would think having your own wood would make this job less desirable to a contractor..as they make the most money selling you the product..

same for concrete slab...you could also ask around your neighbors and coworkers for names..

personally I don't think many general contractors want such small jobs..and likely such work would be subbed out ..

good luck

Old 02-20-2011, 01:42 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewen1 View Post
The reason why i ask is because i have hired highly rated contractors on angies list for my other home. Each contractor ripped me off. They hired subcontractors off the street for pennies on the dollar. ,,,,.
I was going to ask, but this response told me the answer.

Only the contractor has a license. Sadly you have contracted with people in the past who do not use qualified installers. The individual workers are not "sub contractors" they are employees. Your results sound like you may be taking the "lowest bid" contractors.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,841 times
Garcia's Hardwood Floors
contractor: Rosalio Garcia
Cell number: 214-542-2659
Info: Worked all over the Dfw metroplex and around East Texas. Has many good refrences including customers, and stores he once put floors for. He has been doing floors, and going strong, since 1988. He worked in the world trade center, apartment complex's, restaurants and many offices. Reliable and does any type of wood flooring, glue down, nail down, sand and refinish, and much more.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:09 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
^^^ wetodd

Old 11-08-2012, 12:43 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
I know somone but he only usually takes work from people he knows or who are vouched for by someone he knows. He is very meticulous, meaning he will not slap it in and go, but he will not give you a slap and go price either. While he is not the most expensive guy around, he is not the cheapest. He will not do a quick and crummy job even if asked to do so, he will just pass. He is extremely honest and does all the work himself or sometimes he hires a helper but he does not drop off some guy he does not know and leave. He takes great pride in his work.

If you still have not found someone, send me a DM and I will ask him if he would be interested in taking this on without a personal reference for you. Once in a while he will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
View detailed profiles of: