Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 09:01 AM

22 posts, read 134,814 times

Advertisements

Californians prefer their state to be called California. If you use the shortened form you give yourself away as a tourist or someone who doesn't intend to stay. I grew up in Colton. Some people say the place has a stigma. It has very strict police officers. The place is safe. If you don't want to move to Colton, I suggest moving to Riverside, Grand Terrace (the kids there go to Colton High School), Loma Linda (a Seventh Day Adventist community that completely shut down on Saturday when I was growing up which has a great vegetarian supermarket), and Redlands. Colton has the most affordable housing in the Riverside-San Bernardino area (touted as the "Inland Empire" in advertising). If you're working there, you might as well live there. You will save lots of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 10:38 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loyaltubist View Post
If you use the shortened form you give yourself away as a tourist or someone who doesn't intend to stay.
Same for those who say "The OC".

Old 12-23-2007, 08:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,420 times
Exclamation Colton is awful

I lived in Huntington Beach for 7 yr's, (which was the greatest) but have now lived in Colton for 6 yr's for financial reasons, but would leave if I had the chance, it mostly consists of gang's, country wierdo's, & other odd folks. There is barely any nightlife, unless you like hanging out with sad, out of style dork's at "Hawaiin Blues" & "Schooner's". Get as close to Orange County as you can & God save your soul.

Old 12-29-2007, 04:21 PM

58 posts, read 92,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime21 View Post
I am currently a 24 year old, single guy working in NYC. I was offered a promotion to another facility located in Colton, Ca. Being young, I'm very interested in traveling and living in new areas of the country, especially near any big city since I grew up in Chicago. With that being said, I don't know much of anything in Cali. To be honest, although I would want to live somewhere close to work, I'm not willing to sacrifice living in a "young" area close to the city where I can have a nightlife and be around people my age. The extra drive is worth living in an area that keeps me busy and offers more than sitting around in my apartment. With the little research I've done it seems like the Orange County area is a good choice with Anaheim/Irvine/Huntington as possible locations. I know they are about 40-50 miles away from Colton, and traffic sucks out there, but how is the reverse commute? Any suggestions for places to live between the beach and Colton would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Mark
Bottom line Colton sucks. The weather is not bad now and the air is really clear but come summer. Traffic is horrible and its a desert. In fact the entire inland empire is not good in my opinion. The winter like I said is not bad. But it gets to hot and smoggy there. Check air qualities and you will see what I mean. Don't believe the hype.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:20 PM

457 posts, read 1,015,802 times
Move now or rent,

Wait another 3 years to move back to own in Calif. by then the RE prices will be down another 40% ( and know RE prices arent coming back) and you can buy right in Placerville , Auburn, Sonora , or anywhere in the Motherlode area.

I love the beautiful Oaks and the American River, **** 8, Coloma, Ive been all over the world and the Motherlode is the most serene in the world. How bout 40 acres in Georgetown for $30,000 in the year 2013?

THERES NO MORE MONEY TO BORROW???? OR LENDERS!!!!

California will crash so hard it will astound anyone. Anyone holding onto any home is crazy... and for the ones holding any mortgage will get burried-- CALIFORNIA is not sustainable anymore--, The Retirees are leaving -- lower wage earners cannot pick up the slack.

How many more billion$ can the State bond out and borrow? You dont have a conundrum whether to leave but where to leave too. Good Luck and get off the Tiitanic before you lose it All......

Where to go? Focus on your employeement strengths, find that market, family, weather, practicality. But sell fast and rent NOW ,,,,
THE BUBBLE HAS BURST!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-01-2008, 08:30 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,927,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manmountain View Post
Move now or rent,

Wait another 3 years to move back to own in Calif. by then the RE prices will be down another 40% ( and know RE prices arent coming back) and you can buy right in Placerville , Auburn, Sonora , or anywhere in the Motherlode area.

I love the beautiful Oaks and the American River, **** 8, Coloma, Ive been all over the world and the Motherlode is the most serene in the world. How bout 40 acres in Georgetown for $30,000 in the year 2013?

THERES NO MORE MONEY TO BORROW???? OR LENDERS!!!!

California will crash so hard it will astound anyone. Anyone holding onto any home is crazy... and for the ones holding any mortgage will get burried-- CALIFORNIA is not sustainable anymore--, The Retirees are leaving -- lower wage earners cannot pick up the slack.

How many more billion$ can the State bond out and borrow? You dont have a conundrum whether to leave but where to leave too. Good Luck and get off the Tiitanic before you lose it All......

Where to go? Focus on your employeement strengths, find that market, family, weather, practicality. But sell fast and rent NOW ,,,,
THE BUBBLE HAS BURST!!!!!!!!!
We fled CA 2 months ago, Orange County. Our house is down another 15%-20% from then. It is down a huge amount from 2 years ago. The funny thing is it is still over priced. I don't know if it will ever come back but I hope so for the sake of the young family that bought it. We are now mortgage free in a new 3350 sq. ft. house.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:00 PM
ejv

18 posts, read 65,009 times
Does Colton Have A Shopping Mall And Movies?

Old 01-04-2008, 01:27 PM

79 posts, read 484,847 times
Congratulations on your promotion, but moving you to Colton would certainly be a demotion. If you are looking for the California experience, DO NOT MOVE ANY WHERE IN RIVERSIDE OR SAN BERNADINO County. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about. I grew up in Moreno Valley. This area is surely one of the armpits of California. All desert, hot as Hell in the summer, full of thugs, and is home of the worst smog in America. If you want to move to the desert, you’d be better off moving to Arizona, Utah, or New Mexico. At least the scenery is pretty. However, if you do accept the job and want to be close to work, I would only consider moving to Redlands.

Otherwise, if you are looking for the California experience, move to Orange County or another coastal community in LA. It would be good experience for you for about 2 years. After you get tired of the traffic, chasing hot California girls, etc… and are ready to settle down, DO NOT STAY HERE. Its way to expensive and you’ll most likely have to move back to Riverside / San Bernardino if you want to purchase an affordable house.
I’ve partied in Hollywood, Westwood, all over the IE and Orange County. Awesome clubs and entertainment. But now that I’m married and ready to start a family, I’m taking my hard earned money and moving out of state.

Good luck to you.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:12 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlucero2002 View Post
. But now that I’m married and ready to start a family, I’m taking my hard earned money and moving out of state.
I've read this somewhere before....

Old 01-04-2008, 03:51 PM

79 posts, read 484,847 times
Yep, Charles. My wife and I were planning on moving to Colorado in June of 2008. But we've recently decided to move it up to March. So we'll be there in 2 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County