Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 12:02 PM

37 posts, read 88,281 times

Advertisements

Hello, can someone please tell me what the commute time is like (morning and afternoon) between Anaheim Hills and El Segundo? Is it doable?

If not, are there nice, safe, good school areas that anyone can speak for? My job would be in El Segundo and schools (middle and high) are important. Also visually appealing are also important (not old and run down). Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 12:11 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,444,507 times
Well, you'd be on the 91 freeway along with about a million other people headed the same direction twice a day. Most of LA is old and run down compared to what you're probably used to in DFW. I would start looking the the beach cities just south of El Segundo and parts of Torrance, then skip down to the east Long Beach, Rossmoor, Los Alamitos area.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:15 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,593,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Well, you'd be on the 91 freeway along with about a million other people headed the same direction twice a day. Most of LA is old and run down compared to what you're probably used to in DFW. I would start looking the the beach cities just south of El Segundo and parts of Torrance, then skip down to the east Long Beach, Rossmoor, Los Alamitos area.
Thats a little dramatic, unless you're throwing in a price comparison.

OP - why amaheim hills?? whats wrong with the ES area?

Old 12-19-2012, 04:24 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,170,031 times
Anaheim Hills to El Segundo would be pretty intense. My dad used to do the commute from Ladera Ranch to ES, Irvine to ES and Diamond Bar to ES. All of those commutes were bad, but he left at 5am and came home around 3pm, so he avoided traffic for the most part. I would estimate the drive being around 1hr 15min to 1hr 30min on average. Probably closer to 2hrs on a bad day (or thursday/friday afternoon)

If you want to be in OC, in a good school district and relatively close to El Segundo, you'd probably be better off in Fullerton. The newer Amerige Heights community might appeal to you (newer homes, big green space). Cypress is another good option for OC.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Thats a little dramatic, unless you're throwing in a price comparison.

OP - why amaheim hills?? whats wrong with the ES area?
Well, I just got a wrench thrown at me! My original job offer was to be in Burbank and my family and I were looking at living in Santa Clarita. However, that job has now been transferd to El Segundo and I am looking for something comparable to Santa Clarita. A friend told me about Anaheim Hills but, I also thought that was pretty far out.

We are looking for a nice community, safe community, good schools (two 12 y/o daughters). Of course my kids would love to live by the beach but, cost of housing as you know is unbelievable. So....I feal like I am starting from scratch here again looking for good safe place to live...suggestions?

Did all my research on Santa Clarita and now need to shift gears and looking at other areas. Would Calabasas be too far do you think?

Old 12-20-2012, 09:09 AM

Calabassas better, but still not a great commute.

Whats your budget, and what size place are you looking for? Can you afford ES itself?

Old 12-20-2012, 09:15 AM

Yes, Calabasas would be too far--about an hour+ in current rush hour traffic. If you want to be close, in a nice, safe community with good schools. Here are some that are much, much closer: Redondo Beach (15-20 minutes to ES), Torrance (20-25 mins)... and if you want to be in OC: Fullerton and Cypress are both about 50 mins.

Another idea... live in El Segundo.

All of the cities mentioned above have nice, safe neighborhoods and good schools. Maybe not all parts of all of these places are visually appealing, but you will find well-kept older neighborhoods and newer neighborhoods in many of these places.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Van Fossen View Post
Yes, Calabasas would be too far--about an hour+ in current rush hour traffic. If you want to be close, in a nice, safe community with good schools. Here are some that are much, much closer: Redondo Beach (15-20 minutes to ES), Torrance (20-25 mins)... and if you want to be in OC: Fullerton and Cypress are both about 50 mins.

Another idea... live in El Segundo.

All of the cities mentioned above have nice, safe neighborhoods and good schools. Maybe not all parts of all of these places are visually appealing, but you will find well-kept older neighborhoods and newer neighborhoods in many of these places.
Our original budget was about $450-500K which was getting us a pretty descent house in SCV. That budget doesn't look like enough in the ES areas and/or RB areas. Argh!!!

El Segundo looked pretty industrial is it not?

Old 12-20-2012, 10:22 AM

El Segundo has a lot of commercial/industrial, but it also has residential areas. However, it's a very small city and there's not much in your price range on the market right now. If you're looking for a detached single family home, then Torrance might be the better option in your price range. Cerritos might be another place worth looking into.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:24 AM

ES has some industrial areas, but also a BEAUTIFUL residential area, and a great high school, from what I understand. I enjoyed my time running by business there, and would have gladly lived there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County