Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 09:44 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times

Advertisements

Nice summary, but a few clarfications are in order. Irvine ranks as the safest big city; it's no safer than Aliso Viejo or Laguna Niguel. In reality, all of South County is "safe," but crime definitely occurs everywhere, including Irvine.

Regarding freeways, Irvine is more freeway accesible than either AV or LN, but again, at about 64 sq miles, it's much larger with far more traffic than either. Incidentally, one can live in Irvine and still have a 20 minute commute to a job within the city.

The 73 Toll cuts through Aliso, connects to the 5 and makes to easier to get around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 09:52 AM

99 posts, read 264,015 times
Thanks Pacific. All of coastal OC is safe enough for me. Irvine seems more centrally located and easier to move around. I wonder if there are areas of Irvine where the jet noise is a problem. I've been in some expensive areas of Newport Beach that are destroyed by jet noise due to the flight path at John Wayne. I couldn't live with that constant roar.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:58 AM

1,083 posts, read 2,169,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Nice summary, but a few clarfications are in order. Irvine ranks as the safest big city; it's no safer than Aliso Viejo or Laguna Niguel. In reality, all of South County is "safe," but crime definitely occurs everywhere, including Irvine.

Regarding freeways, Irvine is more freeway accesible than either AV or LN, but again, at about 64 sq miles, it's much larger with far more traffic than either. Incidentally, one can live in Irvine and still have a 20 minute commute to a job within the city.

The 73 Toll cuts through Aliso, connects to the 5 and makes to easier to get around.
Good points. I wouldn't feel unsafe in either of the three. It's true there can be traffic within Irvine, but getting to the 5N via El Toro Rd isn't a picnic either. I still think, from most anywhere in either city you can get to the freeway much quicker from Irvine than AV. I've lived and worked on opposite ends of Irvine (2006-07) and my commute was about 10-15 minutes--there are cars on the road, but it's nothing like being in LA or on any of the freeways. I also worked in Irvine from Aliso (1999-01), cut through the 133 and got there in about 15-20 minutes. The 73 is convenient if you want to cut through to the 405N or the 5S, but it still takes time and can cost money.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:00 AM

Thanks Joe. Is jet noise a problem in Irvine?

Old 12-28-2012, 10:06 AM

I don't remember jet noise being a big issue. I lived both near woodbridge and near northpark at one point.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Van Fossen View Post
Good points. I wouldn't feel unsafe in either of the three. It's true there can be traffic within Irvine, but getting to the 5N via El Toro Rd isn't a picnic either. I still think, from most anywhere in either city you can get to the freeway much quicker from Irvine than AV. I've lived and worked on opposite ends of Irvine (2006-07) and my commute was about 10-15 minutes--there are cars on the road, but it's nothing like being in LA or on any of the freeways. I also worked in Irvine from Aliso (1999-01), cut through the 133 and got there in about 15-20 minutes. The 73 is convenient if you want to cut through to the 405N or the 5S, but it still takes time and can cost money.
Actually, I see it as a plus that AV is not cut apart by a lot of freeways since that cuts down on pollution and noise.

Even though Irvine traffic is not like LA's, it's still often a pain and I know that congestion exists, especially during rush hours and even on some of the surface streets. That's a reality in Irvine and there is no need to sugarcoat it.

Another plus for AV is that other than travelling for work, one usually doesn't have much need to access the freeways since just about everything that is needed on a daily basis can be found in either Aliso, LN or Mission Viejo.

The freeway thing is a nonissue and I don’t know of anyone in AV who has ever had to travel for 15 minutes to get to the 5, but I get that some realtors, maybe not you, need to push Irvine for sales since that’s where the most abundant new supply probably exists.

I'm not a realtor and I just call it like I see it. In fact, I do not want more people to move to AV. For each one who does come, I hope that someone else moves out.

Last edited by pacific2; 12-28-2012 at 12:58 PM..

Old 12-28-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joryjim View Post
Thanks Joe. Is jet noise a problem in Irvine?
From what I've observed and heard, it seems to be a problem primarily in some of the more commercial areas. I doubt that it's that noticeable in most residential neighborhoods.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:41 PM

Here’s something else to chew on while implausibly denying Irvine’s traffic congestion, the city’s current population of about 215,529 is expected to increase to 271,340 by 2020; and to 309,977 by 2030.

The number of dwelling units is projected to be at 100,572 in 2020; and 117,427 by 2030.
http://www.cityofirvine.org/civica/f...p?BlobID=17723

Irvine is a boom town and that’s good news for realtors (and probably for investors, as well, and I might even invest there if the Great Park is not truly dead).

Homes can be sold without losing one’s credibility; and distorting facts about surrounding communities doesn’t help.

Last edited by pacific2; 12-28-2012 at 02:04 PM..

Old 12-28-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Here’s something else to chew on while implausibly denying Irvine’s traffic congestion, the city’s current population of about 215,529 is expected to increase to 271,340 by 2020; and to 309,977 by 2030.

The number of dwelling units is projected to be at 100,572 in 2020; and 117,427 by 2030.
http://www.cityofirvine.org/civica/f...p?BlobID=17723

Irvine is a boom town and that’s good news for realtors (and probably for investors, as well, and I might even invest there if the Great Park is not truly dead).

Homes can be sold without losing one’s credibility; and distorting facts about surrounding communities doesn’t help.
I don't understand why you take any criticism of Aliso Viejo so personally and feel you have to get defensive and attack others. I don't disagree that Aliso Viejo is a great place to live. I lived there for a number of years and have considered moving back. It's just not for everyone, nor is Irvine, HB, Santa Ana or Riverside.

Fact of the matter is, I've lived in both cities and worked in both. I'm offering the OP my observations based on my experiences in the area. Nothing I've said regarding any of the cities is inherently negative, and I'm just as entitled to my opinions and observations as you are yours. If you want to make this personal, that's your business, but i'm not going to stoop to that level.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:21 AM

I'll check out Aliso in more detail. What I like about Irvine is it's central location. Aliso seems to be pretty far south. All of Orange County is pretty crowded. Population can be deceiving. What is the land area of Irvine vs. Aliso? What is the population density of the two?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County