Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 08:28 AM

99 posts, read 262,860 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm 50, male and am looking to move back to Orange County after living in Oregon for over 30 years. I grew up in Huntington Beach.

I've visited HB regularly over the years and like it there but can't find the right house. So I'm starting to expand my horizons but am not that familiar with some of the surrounding areas.

I've got $1 million max to spend. I'm looking at Irvine South of 405 as I'd like to stay as close to the beach as possible because I like the cooler weather. I don't care for 85 degree and over.

I'm not familiar with some of the newer (to me) South County areas like Aliso, Laguna Niguel, etc.

Culturally I'm white, have no kids, not married but have a Latino girlfriend who I live with. I dont' care about impressing people and I'm not really that social. I tend to stay to myself. I do like neighborhoods where it's relatively quiet. Barking dogs get on my nerves big time. I work from home.

Can anyone share their thoughts on HB vs. Irvine vs. Aliso vs. Laguna Niguel? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 09:51 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,634,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joryjim View Post
Can anyone share their thoughts on HB vs. Irvine vs. Aliso vs. Laguna Niguel? Thank you.
I've lived in Aliso for over 11 years, so I can tell you about that city. Neighborhoods are quiet and the city is very densely populated. It's very easy to meet people here, but you can also have your privacy. Newport ( hop on the 73), Laguna Beach and Dana Point are all very accessible The downside is that Aliso homes are mostly cookie-cutter.

Here's a previous post:

Aliso Viejo (The pop. is about 48,000. The city has increased by about 20% over the last ten years and really doesn't need to get any larger).

• Small-7.5 sq miles.
  • Clean, well-maintained and safe- Zero tolerance for trash; and very low crime rate.
  • Friendly- Total strangers will strike up a conversation with you, or just say, "Hi."
  • Good Schools- Good pubic schools, International Baccalaureate (IB) World School (St. Mary's) and a proposal is in the works to develop a STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics) magnet school; and Soka University of America (The only Buddhist-inspired university in the US).
  • Attractive-Rolling hills, winding streets, trees, plants and flowers everywhere, adjacent to 3000 plus acre Aliso and Woods Canyon (caves with petroglyphs. marine fossils, wildflowers, hiking & biking trails, wildlife), 23 parks, bike lanes and wide open vistas.
  • Convenient shopping/ services (everyone lives within about 2 miles of these places)- Barnes & Noble, Laguna Surf & Sport, LA Diva, Neighborhood Cup (Coffee House with live entertainment, antique car shows, yoga, art exhibits, etc.), Opah Restaurant, Stadium Brewing Company, Grower's Direct (Low cost fresh produce), Trader Joe's, Panera Bread, Inka Mama's (Peruvian), Native Foods Restaurant (Vegetarian), Bagels & Brew, Daphne's (Greek), Urban Thai, Panini Cafe, Cosmo's Italian Kitchen, Pomodoro (Italian), Thai Bite, Edwards Aliso Viejo Stadium 20 & IMAX Movie Theater...
  • Close to Laguna Beach- Aliso Viejo borders Laguna Beach and you can drive from AV to the beach in 10-15 minutes.
  • Large variety of sports/ fitness options-Azarian US Gymnastics Training Center; Ice Palace; Renaissance ClubSport (Racquetball, basketball with NCAA-regulation size basketball court, multiple volleyball courts, three racquetball, handball and wallyball courts, three squash courts, dodgeball courts, full-service day spa, yoga, Pilates, Aqua Aerobics, Evolution Swim Academy, Triathlon Training....; Aliso Viejo Golf Course; Aliso Viejo Country Club; Aliso Viejo Aquatic Center; Swimming Pools in most developments; 24 Hour Fitness; OC Pole Fitness; Core Power Yoga....
  • Nascent Cultural Scene- Soka Performing Arts Center (World-class acoustics designed by Yasuhisa Toyota)-Symphony performances; Chamber music; Ballet; Jazz Monsters series...; Soka's Wangari Maathai Hall with dance studios and classrooms; The Center Stage Studio & Dance Center; Ballet Conservatory; Impulse Dance Center...
  • Variety of Housing Options (okay, so they all have that weird SoCal stucco look)- Single family homes, townhouses, condos, apartments, and at City Walk- live/work spaces of 1,851 to 2,635 square feet with storefront signs. So far, there is an environmentally conscious coffee shop (City Perks) there, along with a psychic, a lawyer, some sort of private surrogate parenting assistance place, at least one accountant, a barber, a hair stylist, an aesthetics business... Assisted living facilities for those who need it.
  • Environmentally friendly- The city has a very detailed Green Initiative (proposed changes in transportation, energy, etc.) and plans are underway for at least one complete street. Also, Savannah's Organic Ranch has also been given the green light to develop in one of the city parks. Drought tolerant plants have been planted to replace grass on most of the city's slopes and medians. Recycled water is used on the vegetation.
  • DOG FRIENDLY!!!-Lots and lots of dogs in AV with a great pet hotel and two doggie day camps (PetSmart is the best). The city has approved the development of a dog park and is just awaiting final approval from the coastal commission.
  • Very Quiet Neighborhoods-Need I say more?
  • Excellent Fiscal Policies- Balanced budget with a surplus.
  • Low Unemployment- Lowest unemployment rate of all incorporated cities in Orange County.
  • Potential and an openness to creativity and innovation - All of this happens within 7.5 sq. miles and we are just getting started (Aliso Viejo is 11 years young).

Old 12-28-2012, 09:59 AM

What is the weather like in Aliso? Quite a bit hotter than near the ocean?

Old 12-28-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
What is the weather like in Aliso? Quite a bit hotter than near the ocean?
Nope, temps in Aliso Viejo mirror those of Laguna Beach since it borders Laguna on one side and you can make it to the beach in 10-15 minutes.

You might also want to look at Dana Point. It's coastal and not at all cookie-cutter. I have family members and friends who live there and I tend to spend a lot of time at Dana Point Harbor.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:14 AM

Regarding housing options in Aliso, I arbitrarily selected a $650-1M range, and there are two non-distressed SFRs in AV that fit that description.

Sellers are asking $725,000 for this 5bd/2.5bth/2457 sq.ft. home:
6 SUGAR GUM, Aliso Viejo, CA 92656 | MLS# S719705 | Redfin

This 4bd/4bth/3,355 sq.ft. home is on the market for $999,000:
27 COASTAL OAK, Aliso Viejo, CA 92656 | MLS# S700564 | Redfin

There are a few other SFR-like homes available in AV for under $650. This detached condo has a nice view and is listed for $575,000 (4bd/3bth/1880sq.ft.):
17 OCEAN MIST, Aliso Viejo, CA 92656 | MLS# S708436 | Redfin

Old 12-28-2012, 10:17 AM

Thank you. I tend to prefer Newport and Huntington Beaches over Dana Point. How long does it take to go Aliso to Newport Beach?

Old 12-28-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Thank you. I tend to prefer Newport and Huntington Beaches over Dana Point. How long does it take to go Aliso to Newport Beach?
It takes me about 20 minutes max.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:26 AM

1,083 posts, read 2,159,231 times
Aliso Viejo - Nice, newer community. Very family friendly with lots of parks, entertainment and shopping. Great weather, lots of hills. Since most of the homes are newer, you generally don't get very much lot space. It can take up to 10-15 minutes to get to a major freeway from here.

Irvine - One of the safest cities in the country. Irvine has a lot of commercial areas in addition to residential. Also family friendly with a lot of entertainment, shopping and dining options. There is a good variety of newer construction homes and older. Still close enough to the beach to get the benefit of the weather. More freeway convenient than AV or LN.

Laguna Niguel - More established than the other two (one of the first master planned communities in CA), you typically can get more lot space for your money here. With your budget, you can even have some pretty nice ocean views.

All three are great options if you're looking for a low-key, safe and clean community to live in and work from. None of them feel like HB, since they're all slightly more inland and suburban (all 3 are master planned communities). Laguna Beach is relatively close to all 3. I've lived in both Irvine and AV for several years, and have friends who live in LN. If you're happy in one, you could probably be happy in either of the other two. What it will probably boil down to is which one has the kind of home(s) you're looking for.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:29 AM

Thank you Joe. Would you rather be in HB or Irvine? I like being close to the ocean and having grown up there have an affinity for the place. Just can't find the right house. Too many 1700 square foot ranches that are 40 years old for $750k.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:40 AM

1,083 posts, read 2,159,231 times
Quote:
Thank you Joe. Would you rather be in HB or Irvine? I like being close to the ocean and having grown up there have an affinity for the place. Just can't find the right house. Too many 1700 square foot ranches that are 40 years old for $750k.
I like both areas a lot, so it's a tough choice. HB has a charm that you just can't find in any master planned community. Being close to the beach is also a huge plus... and if I was a surfer, I'd probably choose HB over Irvine without a second thought. On the other hand, I tend to gravitate towards newer construction homes and some of the homes in Irvine are really appealing to me. I'm at the stage in my life where I'll probably be having a kid(s) soon... so I think Irvine would win out for me. HB, or Laguna Beach or any beach really, is probably where I'd like to end up as an empty nester--mostly for the views and the faint crash of the waves in the distance.

I also work from home--when it comes to office work at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County