Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 02:38 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,139 times

Advertisements

Even by OC standards, Irvine is way too sterile and "cookie-cutter" for most people. I think that's why most of the people who live there are either wealthy immigrants from Second and Third World countries (where communities like Irvine don't exist) or transplants from very "cookie-cutter" areas of the country (i.e., Boca Raton, Scottsdale, Plano, The Woodlands, Cary/Apex, etc.).

IMO, the expense of living in Irvine is not worth it if you don't have children. Between the outrageous HOA and Mello-Roos fees, soulless tract housing, postage stamp-sized lots, overabundance of chain-type restaurants and other establishments, lots of foreign nationals who don't speak English, complete and utter lack of nightlife, flat terrain by OC/SoCal standards, etc., I think living in Irvine would be borderline hellish. The energy in that community and nearby Tustin is very stale, IMO.

And for what it costs to live in Irvine, you might as well just move to Scottsdale, Plano or Cary (similar type communities) for a fraction of the cost, more elbow room and more of an "all-American" vibe.

However, if you want to remain in OC and don't mind a dull suburban existence, at the very least move to Mission Viejo, Aliso or elsewhere in South County, where the scenery is much more visually appealing than Irvine, nature is more accessible, traffic is lighter and the people speak English and are friendlier. You'll most likely get a slightly larger lot and maybe even more house for your money, too.

There's a lot of lovely, lovely places to live in OC, but I don't believe Irvine is one of them, unless you're Asian-American, upper-middle class and have school-aged children, although YMMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 02:53 PM

115 posts, read 72,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Even by OC standards, Irvine is way too sterile and "cookie-cutter" for most people.
thats saying alot.. when that county is much the same and no different.

you're right about the people there.. in a place like that there actually exist wierd annoying people most could care less about for too many reasons.

Last edited by Newbie21; 03-05-2016 at 03:03 PM..

Old 03-05-2016, 03:24 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie21 View Post
thats saying alot.. when that county is much the same and no different.

you're right about the people there.. in a place like that there actually exist wierd annoying people most could care less about for too many reasons.
In Irvine, there's also a lot of "keeping with the Joneses" or so I've noticed. IMO, it's like an inland outpost filled with people who want the whole OC/SoCal experience with an Arizona-like cookie-cutter twist, but can't afford to live at the beach.

The most materialistic people I've met while living in SoCal happen to live in Irvine. Coincidence much? I tend to think not.

The people in the beach communities seem much more chill and laid-back overall, despite being considerably wealthier than most people in Irvine. After all, they don't need to keep up with the Joneses - they ARE the Joneses. LOL!

Old 03-05-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Even by OC standards, Irvine is way too sterile and "cookie-cutter" for most people. I think that's why most of the people who live there are either wealthy immigrants from Second and Third World countries (where communities like Irvine don't exist) or transplants from very "cookie-cutter" areas of the country (i.e., Boca Raton, Scottsdale, Plano, The Woodlands, Cary/Apex, etc.).
they're also lacking and can be just plain sad. And is like more than a problem that they exist..

and can be more than sorry place to be in...

Last edited by Newbie21; 03-05-2016 at 03:53 PM..

Old 03-05-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
The people in the beach communities seem much more chill and laid-back overall.
well thats the beach...

Old 03-26-2016, 08:30 AM

3 posts, read 3,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Irvine is ok after living here a year, but it isn't the nice, rosey place the marketing always makes it out to be. I live in Irvine and have had a lot more problems with crime then you could imagine. I have had to call the cops on winners like this guy right down the street from me

Man arrested for drug, theft charges in Irvine

Chen was found slumped over and passed out at the wheel, and officers determined Chen was driving under the influence of drugs, said Emami.

Chen was also found to be in possession of a loaded firearm, which had been reported stolen in a residential burglary in Los Angeles County, a scale and methamphetamine, cocaine, heroin, and various pills, said Emami.

Officers also determined Chen’s vehicle was a rental car that had been rented using a stolen credit card, she added.

Man arrested for drug, theft charges in Irvine - The Orange County Register

Let me clear I am trying to inform some folks that think Irvine is Disneyland.......it is not......it is a large city with most good parts and some bad elements

Thank you Irvine Police Department

i think you are right, no where is Disneyland in the real world~

Old 03-26-2016, 10:34 AM

38 posts, read 39,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It dpends on what you want. I, and many people I know would not live in Irvine for anything. However I see why Irvine appeals to certain people, it just does not appeal to me. I do not like conformity.

While the list of IRvine positives above is true, it is only by a tiny margin. Surrounding cities (South of Irvine) are nealy identical to Irvine and are somewhat cheaper. Do you really care if Irvine is .003% safer than Mission Viejo? Or that you can shave 5 minutes off a trip to LA?

You can live a very nice lifestyle as a single person in Aliso Veijo for example and I see no idvantage to Irvine over Aliso for you. You could also live in one of the nicer areas of Orange Santa Ana or Anaheim and it woudl be a lot cheaper and equally nice. But you do not get to say "I live in irvine" with a cat swallowed the canary smile on your face. That certainly has to be worth somehting. .

how exactly is Aliso Viejo cheaper then Irvine?
Have been looking at real estate in both places and both appears comparable.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:34 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,284,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie21 View Post
they're also lacking and can be just plain sad. And is like more than a problem that they exist..

and can be more than sorry place to be in...
how do you know they are sad and sorry place? if that is your logic, then living in Mission Viejo, Aliso Viejo, RSM, Ladera Ranch and all new communities all around the USA are sad and sorry place because they are all cookie cutter development

Old 03-30-2016, 06:45 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
I live about an 8 minute drive from where this happened so my answer is no

Irvine man arrested on suspicion of hate crime; attacked African-American man with pipe - The Orange County Register

Irvine man arrested on suspicion of hate crime; attacked African-American man with pipe

At 12:50 p.m., a 16-year-old student was waiting for his older brother in front of the school, 4321 Walnut Ave., when Christopher Qu was walking aggressively toward him holding a 3-foot metal pipe and using racial slurs, said Irvine police spokeswoman, Farrah Emami.

Asian vs Black this time

Wish I would have known about this BS before I moved to this area because Irvine is not really that safe IMO

Old 03-30-2016, 09:17 PM

548 posts, read 473,376 times
Man, do you follow every crime blog or something? Isn't that depressing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County