Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 06:14 PM

5 posts, read 16,564 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
I'm sure many people have already posted something similar, but hoping to get more (better/newer) responses

I currently have a (potential) opportunity to relocate to Irvine for a job within my company, and want to learn more about the area before I commit to anything... but the way I'm thinking is, if i really dislike it, I could always move back...I'm mid-20s, single female, and don't know anyone in southern California...
I'm from Philadelphia and love the city life, and from what I'm reading Irvine area is more suburban, which I don't mind at all since I did grow up in a suburban area, but I'm just worried that it'd be hard to socialize/meet new people living in Irvine. (Or i could be completely wrong)

If I were to relocate, I would like a somewhat walkable town, with a good nightlife scene.
Besides Newport Beach, Costa Mesa, are there any other areas that might fit this criteria?
I'd be willing to spend mid-high 1000s on rent, and 30-45min commute maximum. Also, for the above mentioned towns, what is public transportation like? (are cabs easy to get or would I have to call a cab service?)

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 06:28 PM

3,271 posts, read 3,932,639 times
Irvine is a suburban family town with no nightlife and next to no public transportation.

So Cal is NOT like the east coast, there's no public transportation to speak of, and it's a VERY tough place to live without a car.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:27 PM

231 posts, read 813,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my0105 View Post
Hi Everyone,
I'm sure many people have already posted something similar, but hoping to get more (better/newer) responses

I currently have a (potential) opportunity to relocate to Irvine for a job within my company, and want to learn more about the area before I commit to anything... but the way I'm thinking is, if i really dislike it, I could always move back...I'm mid-20s, single female, and don't know anyone in southern California...
I'm from Philadelphia and love the city life, and from what I'm reading Irvine area is more suburban, which I don't mind at all since I did grow up in a suburban area, but I'm just worried that it'd be hard to socialize/meet new people living in Irvine. (Or i could be completely wrong)

If I were to relocate, I would like a somewhat walkable town, with a good nightlife scene.
Besides Newport Beach, Costa Mesa, are there any other areas that might fit this criteria?
I'd be willing to spend mid-high 1000s on rent, and 30-45min commute maximum. Also, for the above mentioned towns, what is public transportation like? (are cabs easy to get or would I have to call a cab service?)

Thanks everyone!
you have no idea what you are in for if you move to Irvine expecting public transportation and nightlife. Orange County is not known for nightlife. The locals have been known to drive 40-60 mins to west la/downtown la for nightlife.

The only people that take public transportation in Orange County generally speaking are those that are disabled, unable to afford a car or do not have a drivers license.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:36 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,007,408 times
You will need a car. The Bus system is OK, but expect at least an hour and a half for a 20 mile ride.

Irvine (and most south county cities) are pretty but very bland. Great if you like franchise entertainment.
When I moved out from the east coast, I was surprised to see how early people left the bars. Most are empty by 10pm

Select a city with a Village Core. Old Town Orange. Laguna Beach. Downtown Huntington Beach. Seal Beach. Downtown Fullerton.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:21 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone, and Yes, I will have a car, i was just trying to get a sense of what public transportation would be like (if there were any). If i do make the move, i most likely would NOT be living in Irvine, thus why I asked if there were any areas within commutable distance from Irvine with a good young professional crowd

I've driven an hour from PA suburbs to the city for "nightlife" so this isn't anything new to me. I guess I was just more worried about the finding people around my age to socialize with.

Thanks to DinsdalePirahna for the suggestions - i will definitely look into those towns.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:59 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,597,482 times
Irvine is a fantastic city, if you know what you're getting into. Its very sleepy, very corporate, very franchise. Very little nightlife, unless you head to the beach.

To commute to Irvine - Newport, CDM, Costa Mesa, Huntington would likely fit your demographic.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:57 AM

8 posts, read 11,198 times
Irvine is a very lovely and safest place to get settled down. But yeah, if your night-life lover there is almost nothing in Irvine other than some bars and pubs inside a radius of 3 to 5 miles.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:30 PM

254 posts, read 442,598 times
Alright, so we've already established you don't want to live in Irvine (you don't, believe me).

Long Beach is a great town, with lots of interesting people and plenty to do (as well as easy access to L.A.). However, you are going to be on the far end of your desired commute on a regular basis. Still, I have four co-workers who make that commute daily because they love living there so much.

Downtown Fullerton definitely has nightlife and young people, and a pretty decent music scene.

Costa Mesa I would put down farther on the list. Having lived there for a number of years, when I think walkable and nightlife, it really isn't unless you pretty much live on 17th street.

Newport Beach is walkable, but extremely touristy.

Seal Beach is absolutely adorable and has a lot to do, but more of a small community feel. It gets bonus points for being a hop skip and a jump away from Long Beach's nightlife.

Taxis are something you call for in Southern California. Even living in L.A. I was very rarely able to flag down a cab.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sondeera View Post
Alright, so we've already established you don't want to live in Irvine (you don't, believe me).

Long Beach is a great town, with lots of interesting people and plenty to do (as well as easy access to L.A.). However, you are going to be on the far end of your desired commute on a regular basis. Still, I have four co-workers who make that commute daily because they love living there so much.

Downtown Fullerton definitely has nightlife and young people, and a pretty decent music scene.

Costa Mesa I would put down farther on the list. Having lived there for a number of years, when I think walkable and nightlife, it really isn't unless you pretty much live on 17th street.

Newport Beach is walkable, but extremely touristy.

Seal Beach is absolutely adorable and has a lot to do, but more of a small community feel. It gets bonus points for being a hop skip and a jump away from Long Beach's nightlife.

Taxis are something you call for in Southern California. Even living in L.A. I was very rarely able to flag down a cab.
Thanks for this information. Long beach seems to be about a 40 minute commute to Irvine (without traffic that is...) I've commuted an hour / hour and a half when I used to live in NJ. It would've been bearable if it wasn't NJ.... do you have any idea what the commute is like/how long it would take going down 405 South around 7 AM?

Old 01-14-2013, 09:12 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,597,482 times
It's about a solid hour from LB (22 Fwy) to SNA airport most mornings, bumper to bumper traffic. Sometimes slightly less, but not much.

LB to Irvine is not a recommended commute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County