Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 12:37 PM

154 posts, read 213,667 times

Advertisements

Hey Everybody. I live in Philly. Been to California four times (to Bay Area, everything from Napa to Big Sur) but never to Southern Cal.

That being said, I'm considering a trip to Disneyland. Been to DisneyWorld a few times but I want to check out Orange County. I figure the main price difference would be in the airfare.

I've been told by former residents that OC is a nice, laid back place and that Newport Beach is a "clean beach" as opposed to Venice, which is a "dirty beach." My friends in the Bay Area refer to OC as "L.A." and tell me I would be better off vacationing in Tahoe.

Although I have read the OC Weekly and I like a bunch of bands such as Social D, I really have no idea how things are there. I would NEVER watch b.s. tv shows like "Laguna Beach," "Real Housewives," etc.

Do you think It would be worthwhile to fly out there with the family or would I be better off going to Florida again?

Thanks.

p.s. Philly isn't as bad as they say, but many people are impolite and there are many bad sections with murders, and litter is everywhere, so I'm used to the bad side of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 01:14 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,630,690 times
Laguna Beach is worth a visit:

Laguna Beach - YouTube

Ditto Dana Point Harbor:

Dana Point Harbor - YouTube

Old 01-25-2013, 01:31 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,158,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern Rock View Post
Hey Everybody. I live in Philly. Been to California four times (to Bay Area, everything from Napa to Big Sur) but never to Southern Cal.

That being said, I'm considering a trip to Disneyland. Been to DisneyWorld a few times but I want to check out Orange County. I figure the main price difference would be in the airfare.

I've been told by former residents that OC is a nice, laid back place and that Newport Beach is a "clean beach" as opposed to Venice, which is a "dirty beach." My friends in the Bay Area refer to OC as "L.A." and tell me I would be better off vacationing in Tahoe.

Although I have read the OC Weekly and I like a bunch of bands such as Social D, I really have no idea how things are there. I would NEVER watch b.s. tv shows like "Laguna Beach," "Real Housewives," etc.

Do you think It would be worthwhile to fly out there with the family or would I be better off going to Florida again?

Thanks.

p.s. Philly isn't as bad as they say, but many people are impolite and there are many bad sections with murders, and litter is everywhere, so I'm used to the bad side of things.
If for nothing else, the weather is nicer out here than Orlando. I think Disneyworld might be a little bit more exciting than Disneyland, but then again Disneyland was the first. Plus, there's California adventure and Downtown Disney. I wouldn't recommend staying at a hotel in Anaheim, unless you're staying at the Disneyland Resort. Newport, Huntington and Laguna Beach are nice places to visit.

I've been to Philly a few times and I've enjoyed it out there. I make it a point to try a different cheesesteak place every time I go.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:24 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,936,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Van Fossen View Post
If for nothing else, the weather is nicer out here than Orlando. I think Disneyworld might be a little bit more exciting than Disneyland, but then again Disneyland was the first. Plus, there's California adventure and Downtown Disney. I wouldn't recommend staying at a hotel in Anaheim, unless you're staying at the Disneyland Resort. Newport, Huntington and Laguna Beach are nice places to visit.

I've been to Philly a few times and I've enjoyed it out there. I make it a point to try a different cheesesteak place every time I go.
Yep. Personally it think the actual beaches are nicer and warmer in florida, but we have better beach communities. Spring/Summer/Fall weather is better. Winters here surprise many visitors because it can get cold and it does rain.

And Yes Disneyland is the original and its always fun to compare the parks.
Hotels, if you want to slum it there are cheaper hotels on harbor boulevard, the further away from the parjk the seedier they get. If you don't want to stay at the Disney Resort Hotels, or the better hotels on hotel circles try the Hilton, Hyatt and Shoreline on PCH in Huntington Beach. There is a best western right across the road from the beach in Downtown HB. (but avoid the Best Western -and most of the other Hotels in Huntington Harbour)

Old 01-25-2013, 03:15 PM

30,701 posts, read 79,330,237 times
Southern California is a tourists paradise. Personally I am not a fan of Disneyland (I would prefer a root canal), but I will admit I enjoyed it the first few times I went there. There are a lot of other great amusement parks in the area as well. Up near Los Angeles Magic Mountain is a roller coaster park. They have some amazing rides. San Diego hosts Sea World, Lego Land (good for 6 year olds - adults are very glad they serve alcohol), the San Diego Zoo and the wild Animal Park. Orange County also has KNotts Berry Farm which is a smaller, tamer but cheaper and less crowded theme park. Then you have Catalina Island which you can reach via a boat form Balboa (Newport Beach) or Long Beach. You can rent snorkle gear and swim in fishemans cove where large colorful fish will swarm you if you bring them some toast crumbs in a zip lock bag. THe boat ride to Catalina is fun and you sometimes see dolphins, wales and/or flying fish on the way out. On the island arre shops food/drinks, bicycle rental tours. buffalo. lots of boats.

You can also take a trip to the channel islands from Ventura. THe boats leave early in the morning and you need reservations. The Channel islands hoast sea liions, manta rays, sharks, dolphins all kinds of really neat things. Everyone I know who has gone absolutely loved it.

Beaches:

Venice and Santa Monica are neighbors. The water is not so clean. The beaches are crowded. Venice is a great wierdo watching place. It is packed with the wierdest people you ever saw. Santa Monica beach/pier is full of tourists. THe 4th street poromenade has lots of high end shops and resturaunts.

Orange County beaches are usually cleaner. There are a lot of beaches, each with a different character. My favorite is Balboa which is on the Balboa Peninsula in Newport Beach. A nice beach. A long pier with a diner at the end of it. A great little villiage. On the bay side of the peninsula you can rent kayaks, boats, all kinds of things. On the beach side you cna rent bicycles, boogie boards, skim boards etc. The fun zone has some simple rides and arcades. A bizilion T-shirt shops and some beach type stores.

Corona Del Mar beach (part of Newport) is a fmaily oriented beach. Waves are usualy mild, little undertow, fairly shallow water. There are fire pits and on the beach and some rock formations with a sort of cave.

Newport Beach (at Newport Pier on the Balboa Peninsula). Is simlar to Balboa, but more of a party area. There is less parking and fewer family kinds of things to do. It is a nice beach with some nice bars and a few other ameneties.

Laguna Beach is very picturesque. They make a lot of movies here. The city of Laguna is loaded with art galleries and other shops. Lots of nice eateries here too.

Just North of Laguna is a beach I call the tide pool beach. You have to take a switchback trail down the bluffs to get to the water. This is a rocky beach. At low tide the rock formations form tide pools where you can see sea stars, sea cucumbers, slugs, small fish, and an occaisioanl octopus if you hold still long enough while looking into the pools.

Huntington beach is a HUGE beach. It tends to be a surfur dude place. Shops are across coast highway, not on the beach. There is a dog beach where people can let their dogs run free on the beach. It is fun to go even without a dog if you like dogs.

Those are the main beaches most people like to visit. There are another half dozen or so beaches from Santa Monica down to trestles. However the ones listed are hte most popular for a reason. Other beaches are nice and many have some nice shops piers or other ameeneties. (Redondo, Seal beach, San Clemente, Manhattan Beach, Long Beach and some others). Dana Pointe and Marina Del Rey are more baoting places than beach places. Both are nice places to get dinner and enjoy the views.

Remember all of the beaches get crowded by noon on a nice day and parking can become nearly impossible. Go early.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:58 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,672,432 times
I was with my cousins the first time they visited CA and we took them to Disneyland amongst other places. They have never forgotten it and your kids won't either. Worth at least 1 trip in your life, definitely.

So is Tahoe for that matter. Do Tahoe next year.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,063 posts, read 80,100,596 times
We have been going to Disneyland fairly regularly for many years, most recently in 2011, and stayed at the Hilton, with a shuttle to the park. The old motels we used to stay at years ago on LaPalma now look like hot sheet joints. If you are into rides, you will have a good time there, but if you are into water sports and scenery, I would make the trip to Reno, rent a car and drive to Tahoe. We were there in September and had a great time.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:03 AM

154 posts, read 213,667 times
So far the replies have been great. Thanks for the tips.

Another question is: Can I have family fun without renting a car? If we stay at Disneyland then stay at a hotel on the beach when we're finished Disney, can we get some sort of shuttle to the coast?

I also forgot to ask about The Strand, which I think is in Los Angeles County. Would this be worth checking out for a bike rental?

My children will be about 8 and 10 when we come out there. I usually avoid the "touristy" place in favor of locals haunts but will be a total tourists when I have to.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:57 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,630,690 times
You could get a taxi (or maybe a hotel shuttle) to take you from Disneyland to a beach side hotel, but this area is really spread-out and you'll need a car to explore it. Anaheim is a long way from the nearest beach.

Toss in a trip to LA, or possibly San Diego (maybe Legoland and Sea World for the kids) while you're here, and there's no way that you'll be able to get around without one, unless you want taxis to take you everywhere.

You'll feel trapped without a car.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:43 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,936,319 times
The Disney Resort area is about a 15 -20 minute drive to Bolsa Chica State Beach (Harbor to the 22 freeway, exit Valley View/Bolsa Chica, left onto Warner to PCH. Free parking at Sunset Beach if you can find a spot.

I would seriously recommend renting a car.

There are plenty of public buses that can get you to the beach, but they go through some rough neighborhoods and will take you at least an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County