U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Surf city: realistic cost of living, roommate to share expenses, salary ladder, competitive place, gas

Old 10-20-2007, 03:54 PM

3 posts, read 8,390 times

Advertisements

Hey,
I have to make a decision about take a job in St. Louis, MO or Huntington Beach, CA.
The pay in HB is not that great below $40000 and I am afraid that it won't be enough to live well in CA.
Even though I was really exciting about the idea to move the surf city, I am staring to think that I should take the MO job because of cost of living.
Never being to California and was wonder if someone could give me a realistic idea of costing of living before I go.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 04:48 PM

264 posts, read 334,833 times
You single? You can probably make it on 40K. I would presume you won't stay at that salary forever.

You can always land a roommate to share expenses. It isn't uncommon, and housing will be your biggest expense.

If you know you will be climbing the salary ladder, take the shot...so Cal beats the hell out of Misssouri in every way except the ribs and the jazz.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:35 PM

3 posts, read 8,390 times
Thanks parrotpaul,
I am incline to take the risk, and with more info about living cost I can make my decision. From what everyone told me seems that in CA everything is three times more expensive, which would be trouble, but only rent will be ok. No problem to have a roomate.

Old 10-21-2007, 05:32 AM

3 posts, read 15,280 times
Default Go for HB.... :))

Hey Kbel, go for HB... I have recently made the biggest mistake of my life, leaving HB for Kentucky!!!! why?? horses.. having move small herd out here after 20 yrs in HB, and thinking it would be a better life for them and me... it is not... I am on SSI disabilility and was able to live in HB (1 mile) from the beach on 14k/yr plus small part time job. I had two room mates, which was hard first going off, as I was used to living alone, but had to humble myself, and it was OK.... I have been in Nothern KY now since august, have to drive 60 mile r/t to the nearest grocery store, the people are rude an dare I say ignorant.. I am now trying to figure out how to get back to CA or another state but it will have to be on the ocean. I only went through St Louis once many years ago, and can only assume that the winters are like KY...

I am sorry to say, that I took CA for granted after that long, and like many started to complain about the 'convenience' of the lifestyle there.. now I am paying for it big time..LOL...

Having now been able to experience both cost of livings, although housing and rent in KY is much cheaper, food (Krogers, Wallmart) is way more expensive than CA, additionally the gas/wear and tear on your car driving to these places to shop works out more expensive than S CA. I think you said something about having rent covered...if that is the case, then you have nothing more to worrry about.... also there are so many people looking or house shares/room mates etc, when ever I had to place an ad, my phone never stopped ringing!!

CA is a very competitive place and so with retail, you have twice the amount of stores and sales etc, and far less to drive!

Congrats on both job offers.... MO.... freezing winters, and very conservative culture... CA ...climate mostly great all year round... you have got it all there.. besides you dont have to live right in HB... there are other surrounding communities, Fountain Valley, Westminster, Garden Grove, and in LA County, Long Beach.... all less than 10 miles from HB but a little cheaper to live.
Hope this helps!
Good Luck...
Oh, by the way, if you need help in finding a place there, and want to know more about the neigborhoods, let me know, I still have many friends there, and know all the areas very well!
Deborah Jones

Last edited by djones612000; 10-21-2007 at 05:35 AM.. Reason: put MI instead of MO.. sorry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County