Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 06:38 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,687,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Born View Post
Dude, you've posted strip malls, swimming pools, and golf courses. Could this be more generic?

The initial poster clearly isn't looking for this type of lifestyle. Everyone knows you can get a typical Phoenix-style Sunbelt lifestyle in OC.

"Dude,"

It is what it is. Everyone knows you can't always get a typical Laguna Beach-style Oceanfront lifestyle in OC. Relax and ignore my posts.

For the OP, The Neighborhood Cup is a coffee house here in Aliso:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RutfLoclDs

Last edited by pacific2; 02-07-2013 at 07:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 09:01 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
If you cannot afford Laguna and you are looking for cool and edgy look at the artists villiage in Santa Ana or the lofts near the train station if you do not mind the noise. You will have to be more cautious about saferty, but there is some life (especially in and around the artists villiage) and it is much much cheaper. Also look at Old Town Orange and Downtown Fullerton. All offer a bit of young busy lifestyle, but they are not going to match what you are used to. Your best bet is Long Beach, but it is too far away.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:21 AM

11 posts, read 29,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post

Bottom line, the OP will have to decide for herself and not depend upon what other people can, or cannot, imagine for her.

Thanks . I think I will have to get down there and see what feels like a good fit. Is the traffic really terrible between each area?

Old 02-07-2013, 12:07 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,305,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
I like videos, and you know what they say, "A picture is worth a thousand words." If you don't like them, don't watch them.

I think I'll look for some more since they are so effective in counteracting lies.
Who is Lieing? The OP asked for places to live in OC. I gave my answer and then you tried to disregard me as well as other posters. You keep on pushing your bizarre Aliso Viejo cookie cutter agenda, Why? I know Laguna Beach And Dana Point like the back of my hand and know their is places the OP can afford. Does this make you Jealous? There are all kinds of older studio apartments and rooms to rent in LB and DP and are closer to the ocean,resturants,bars where young people can have a life!

Last edited by matzoman; 02-07-2013 at 12:34 PM..

Old 02-07-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
There are all kinds of older studio apartments and rooms to rent in LB and DP and are closer to the ocean,resturants,bars where young people can have a life!
The more I'm looking at Aliso Viejo, it just doesn't seem right. I really don't want to live in this type of community. It seems to have a lot of amenities and I'm sure it is great for a lot of people, but I want something with a little more character. I appreciate your input though, thanks.

What you mentioned above is totally what I am looking for, I want the area to be walkable and have a lot of options, ocean, shops, trails, restaurants close by. I'd rather commute further to like where I live. I found a few cool looking places in laguna beach on craigslist for around $1700. I'd rather not have a roommate, if that's at all possible. I'm still waiting for the final salary, but considering the general cost of living (food, gas, basic amenities) how much of my salary (in your experience) goes to rent? I've often tried to use a 30% rule, but that might have to be adjusted?

Old 02-07-2013, 03:21 PM

371 posts, read 816,069 times
I just found this place just north of Main Beach in Laguna:

MOVE IN SPECIAL! 1 BEDROOM 1 BATHROOM APARTMENT

$1325 for a one bedroom apartment. Just a short walk to beach, and all of the stuff happening in Main Beach. Just off Broadway, which turns into Laguna Canyon Rd, which takes you straight out to Irvine. A 5 minute drive either to Crystal Cove State Park, or up Laguna Canyon Rd to the Laguna Wilderness Park.

Its sounds perfect for you.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:33 PM

99 posts, read 162,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowneline View Post
From the sounds of it, you won't want to be in Irvine, as you have correctly identified.

LA won't work either, both because its too far and much it it will feel just like OC. There are not really any areas in Southern California that match up well with Sonoma County, where its both rural, but pretty and sophisticated.

OC can be broken into 3 general categories:

1. The older, sprawling, suburbs of inland North Orange County (Santa Ana, Anaheim, Fullerton etc...). This area is characterized by large swaths of mostly unappealing, 50's era suburbs, strip malls, a few slightly dangerous areas, diverse ethnic makeup and a couple of interesting old downtown areas (Orange, Santa Ana, Tustin, Fullerton). Generally speaking, this area is north of the 55 freeway.

2. The newer, sprawling, suburbs of inland South Orange County (Irvine, Lake Forest, Mission Viejo etc..). This area is characterized by more upscale strip malls and shopping areas, gated communities, chain restaurants, nice but homogeneous housing tracks built in the 80s, 90s and 2000s, good schools, families, more interesting topography, and virtually nothing of real genuine urban character. Generally speaking, this area is south of the 55 freeway.

3. The coastal cities (San Clemente, Laguna Beach, Newport Beach), which are generally upscale, more interesting looking, less homogeneous architecture, more diverse food and entertainment options, more progressive, liberal and young.

This is a long way of saying, there is not going to be a perfect fit for you.

Generally speaking, I think most outsiders and insiders would probably agree that Laguna Beach and Newport Beach are the two best places in Orange County. This is where most people would live if they won the lotto and had to live in OC. This is where a lion's share of the non-Disneyland tourists in the OC end up.

Both cities are very pretty, have character, lots of food and entertainment options, great beaches, and younger and more progressive residents (Laguna Beach is probably the most liberal city in OC). Newport Beach is generally seen as a little more "fancy" and upscale and Laguna Beach is seen as more "laid back" and casual, although these are very broad generalizations that are only partially true. Newport Beach is larger and more sprawling, while Laguna Beach almost has a "small town" feel to it at times (its more insulated from he rest of OC). Newport Beach is probably less overrun by tourists during the summer. Laguna Beach is known as an artist's haven.

If you are into the outdoors and mountain biking, you would be especially interested in Laguna Beach, which is bordered on 2 sides by parkland that includes trails and mountain biking. Crystal Cove State Park is a particularly popular spots for mountain bikers, with steep trails and plenty of ocean views. It actually is on the coast right between Newport Beach and Laguna Beach.

All things considered (and not yet considering price), I think the ideal spot for you would be North Laguna Beach (the area north of Broadway to the end of town at Crystal Cove). To commute from Irvine you could either take Laguna Canyon Rd. or Newport Coast Rd. to the 73. The area just north of Main Beach, which is the commercial area around Broadway, Forest, Ocean, is full of apartments and plenty of young people (late 20s and 30s). You can walk or bike to everything that is happening in Main Beach (bars/restaurants). You can pop up Laguna Canyon Rd, or over to Crystal Cove for hiking/biking, you can walk to the beach. It's a very liberal and progressive area.

Look for something off of Cypress, Cedar, Monterry, High Drive, Hillcrest... in that general vicinity.

Now the problem: price. This is not a cheap area, and its hard to imagine anywhere in OC you would find a 1 bedroom for $875.

The best you might hope for in North Laguna is 2 bedroom place in the $1700-$2000 range, where you could share the place with a roommate.

Here is one example: Laguna Beach

Here is another: 2 BDR LAGUNA BEACH OCEAN SIDE OF PCH

If you look around and wait, you may find a place that is a bit cheaper. That is the reality.

This is a great place to live, so the demand is high.
Wonderful information..great. I am also looking around the So.Ca area to relocate from Iowa within 6mos. I am not young.59yr.widowed and wanting to live in a 55+ communty. I am also trying to find something within the $850-$900 1bd market....I have been looking at Temecula/Murrieta area BUT Laguna Beach sounds great..maybe in my younger years huh! Great information you gave..hope it helps her.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:17 PM

371 posts, read 816,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virg1123 View Post
Wonderful information..great. I am also looking around the So.Ca area to relocate from Iowa within 6mos. I am not young.59yr.widowed and wanting to live in a 55+ communty. I am also trying to find something within the $850-$900 1bd market....I have been looking at Temecula/Murrieta area BUT Laguna Beach sounds great..maybe in my younger years huh! Great information you gave..hope it helps her.
I don't know anything about prices, but I do know that Laguna Woods is a major 55+ mini-city, that is only 10 minutes or so from Laguna Beach.

Laguna Woods Village Southern California Retirement Community

Old 02-26-2013, 12:02 PM

I just found a place on Balboa Peninsula, what is it like out there? It seems very reasonable, but maybe not very close to things?

Thanks!

Old 02-27-2013, 09:05 AM

231 posts, read 590,667 times
Get a golf cart and the Balboa peninsula will be great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County