Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 03:02 AM

3,852 posts, read 12,832,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
-SoCal is diverse (thanks to LA)
-nice weather
-BEAUTIFUL!
-great beaches
-nice people, although some materialism
-laid-back feel
- Diverse?? lol, yeah if you like ghetto people.
- Nice weather? That's what they say.
- Beautiful? only in the rural parts, the urban areas are absolutely disgusting.
- Great beaches? Hardly, they aren't even in the top 10 of the world.
- agree, too many materialistic idiots around here
- laid back? sure in certain communities.

overall a 3/10, nothing to brag about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 06:57 PM

768 posts, read 713,899 times
Saved up for a year's rent? I just moved OUT of Orange County, but I kept my house. It's two blocks from the beach and I charge $4000 a month. Your description of the weather in Seattle is a little skewed although I can see why you would describe it as such. Actually, this May as well as last May is and was beautiful, sunny and hot. Summer went well in October. But if I was in my 20's I might prefer to be somewhere more popular and hip, according to your desired description.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:05 PM

768 posts, read 713,899 times
BTW... if you don't live within walking distance to the beach, plan a lot of time to reach it no matter where you live, then you'll have to wait in line for someone to leave so there is an available parking space, then you'll pay $12-$15 to park and you'll have to be out of the parking lot by 10 pm. (Did I mention the water is often polluted and sometimes you're not even allowed to enter the ocean.) If you find an illegal place to park, plan to pay for an exorbitant ticket, if your vehicle is still there. Not planning on having a vehicle? HAHAHAHAHA

Old 05-06-2013, 09:13 PM

658 posts, read 1,548,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybellegirls View Post
Park yourself at Santa Monica for a long weekend. IMO it's the best of both OC & LA with a pinch of Portlandia. LOL ~ we call it Silicon Beach. California is not business friendly, so stay small, solo if possible. Co-working spaces rock, that's what I'm doing now. After a decade of working from home, the energy of like minds within a business environment AND your own schedule. What's sweeter? Oh...and then there's the beach :-)
What is a "co-working space"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
- Nice weather? That's what they say.
- Beautiful? only in the rural parts, the urban areas are absolutely disgusting.
- Great beaches? Hardly, they aren't even in the top 10 of the world.
- agree, too many materialistic idiots around here
- laid back? sure in certain communities.

overall a 3/10, nothing to brag about.
Sounds like you really take the place for granted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNansea View Post
Saved up for a year's rent? I just moved OUT of Orange County, but I kept my house. It's two blocks from the beach and I charge $4000 a month. Your description of the weather in Seattle is a little skewed although I can see why you would describe it as such. Actually, this May as well as last May is and was beautiful, sunny and hot. Summer went well in October. But if I was in my 20's I might prefer to be somewhere more popular and hip, according to your desired description.
My description of the weather in Seattle is not skewed. I have lived here for two years and I described it exactly as I experienced it.
$4000 per month rent? Dream on. What do you have, a million dollar house? Good luck renting that thing. I pay not much more than that for an entire year.

Quote:
...you'll have to be out of the parking lot by 10 pm.
Well then sounds like going to the ocean after 10pm is the best time to go in the evening.

Quote:
(Did I mention the water is often polluted and sometimes you're not even allowed to enter the ocean.)
Where is the water best? Anyways I don't want to go in the water much, except I want to start surfing.

Quote:
Not planning on having a vehicle? HAHAHAHAHA
Why do you say "hahaha"?

Last edited by certsevtxert; 05-06-2013 at 09:23 PM..

Old 05-06-2013, 10:02 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,159,789 times
A "co-working space," I believe, can also be referred to as a "live-work" loft. Where there's living space upstairs and a office/business/retail space on the ground floor.

If you want to surf, Huntington Beach is a good place for it. It definitely has its bad days, but I know someone who surfs there year round.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:17 PM

37,044 posts, read 41,979,600 times
I think coworking space is shared office, desk-for-rent, space. Where people who work from home can work in a space together but do their own thing while having the benefit of "coworkers". It's a social thing. Not that I understand the draw, getting away from other peoples drama was key in me staying home in the first place . But to each their own, younger people don't seem to get as much exposure to real life, face to face work/social situations anymore so they created this.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:09 PM

658 posts, read 1,548,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Van Fossen View Post
A "co-working space," I believe, can also be referred to as a "live-work" loft. Where there's living space upstairs and a office/business/retail space on the ground floor.

If you want to surf, Huntington Beach is a good place for it. It definitely has its bad days, but I know someone who surfs there year round.
What constitutes a "bad day" for surfing, in your opinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I think coworking space is shared office, desk-for-rent, space. Where people who work from home can work in a space together but do their own thing while having the benefit of "coworkers". It's a social thing. Not that I understand the draw, getting away from other peoples drama was key in me staying home in the first place . But to each their own, younger people don't seem to get as much exposure to real life, face to face work/social situations anymore so they created this.
I've never heard of this. Can you find it for under 700 per month?

Old 05-07-2013, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by certsevtxert View Post
What constitutes a "bad day" for surfing, in your opinion?
"No swimming" days due to pollution.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
That's right. I had it mixed up.

There's another co-working post on the front page. The co-working office in Fullerton is only $199-$349/mo: Get your membership today!

Old 05-07-2013, 12:47 AM

823 posts, read 1,771,091 times
Quote:
BTW... if you don't live within walking distance to the beach, plan a lot of time to reach it no matter where you live, then you'll have to wait in line for someone to leave so there is an available parking space, then you'll pay $12-$15 to park and you'll have to be out of the parking lot by 10 pm. (Did I mention the water is often polluted and sometimes you're not even allowed to enter the ocean.) If you find an illegal place to park, plan to pay for an exorbitant ticket, if your vehicle is still there. Not planning on having a vehicle? HAHAHAHAHA
I rarely go to the beach, but it's hard to find parking in the beach areas. The beach does have parking lots that you have to pay for (with quarters), but often times, it's full. You may have to circle around and around the neighborhood to find parking and when you do, you sometimes end up kinda far. It depends on the time of the year and time of the day, though.

If you don't have a car? Well, you really need a car to get around Southern California. People get around by bus, but it takes forever to get places. You'll have a car once you get here, so you don't have to worry about this.

The beaches close at 10, so if you're caught there after hours, you can be ticketed. Some parks close at night also, so you can't be there at night.

Beach pollution: sadly true. The non-profit group, Heal the Bay, has a beach report card where they rate the bacteria level along the coastline from Washington to the Mexican border. It may be updated weekly, but you can log online to their site and find out which beach is "safe" to go into and which is contaminated with bacteria. Bacteria? From what? Fecal bacteria from storm water runoff. Yes, G-R-O-S-S.

There are groups that do beach clean-ups. Bless you guys! They pick up all sort of trash: styrofoam cups, plastic, condoms, syringes, dead animals, cigarette butts. It's the most disgusting things!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County