Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 08:42 PM

515 posts, read 620,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
It's not about resorting to violence but simply doing your job as a parent and enforcing rules and consequences. Too many of the MTV "Jackass" and X-Games generation have parents who let them do whatever they want. They give them medals for getting C's in school because they "tried." Asians parents discipline their kids and they seem to be doing well. The famous Tiger Mom wasn't about a woman giving out timeouts and telling her kids it was okay to drop out of school to become an actor or a skater.
Yes, many Asian parents discipline their kids and they seem to be doing well and many White parents discipline their kids and are doing well.

My comment was based on the recurring comment I hear or read from Hispanic households when they remark about timeouts or soft White American discipline.

As you mentioned, they comment that White parents let their kids do whatever they want and the more family oriented Hispanic households don't allow the same kind of nonsense and if the kids don't obey or show respect the Hispanic parents aren't going to sit by like the White parents because they'll pull out their "chanclas".

The point is many of these kids don't turn out right so the whole use "chanclas" thing seems to be worse than letting them do what they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 10:42 PM

1 posts, read 960 times
Default Reply to "We're relocating to OC shortly.

I'm originally from The Valley, which is basically a melting pot of nationalities, races and religions. Growing up and living there through my college years were great. At age 25, I moved to the O.C. What a difficult transition it was for the first year. Once I really dove into things, it turned out to be a great place to live. It was more my problem with adapting. A cultural change of sorts. 'Concerned' issues are usually in areas where there is more poverty, etc., and when life is tough, I see that people tend to get angry and do not care, instead of making the best with what they do have. The biggest issue I have, but don't let it get to me, is religious prejudice. Aside from that, what I see is a lot of people who purposely live way out of their means (i.e., R.E. Crash), the high cost of housing, whether rental or buying, along with the quantity of rental housing going way down since the crash. Thousands of buyers are now renters, so renters are having an extremely difficult time finding a place and it being something they can afford too. Apartment complex owners know that one time buyers can afford to pay more, so the prices of rentals have also gone up. So, except when living out of state for 4 years, I really enjoy living here. The place I lived in for 4 years, is probably one of the worse places, no matter how beautiful and popular it may be. I hope that all has turned out well for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsgreyes View Post
We're relocating to OC shortly.

I am first generation here and my husband is half mexican and half white.

Reading other posts I'm starting to feel a little scared/concerned about people in OC.
We don't really fit any of the typical stereotypes and I'm curious of what I will encounter.

We....

-have never required gov't assistance
-are both college educated
-we're educated through the private school system in sd
-speak english AND spanish
-would wave the mexican flag (if I had one) but we are both proud of being American and know how fortunate we are
-have one child
-do not condone cars being parked in our yard

Not that any of the above makes us better people, just addressing the points I've read on here. WTH? is going on with all these stereotypes in this day and age? I'm a little freaked out of OC, please tell me this is not something I will continuously encounter.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:32 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,767,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
After all, according to you all the white people down there like their food spicy.
After all, according to you all the white people down there consider Taco Bell hot sauce spicy.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:02 AM

658 posts, read 1,548,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsgreyes View Post
We're relocating to OC shortly.

I am first generation here and my husband is half mexican and half white.

Reading other posts I'm starting to feel a little scared/concerned about people in OC.
We don't really fit any of the typical stereotypes and I'm curious of what I will encounter.

We....

-have never required gov't assistance
-are both college educated
-we're educated through the private school system in sd
-speak english AND spanish
-would wave the mexican flag (if I had one) but we are both proud of being American and know how fortunate we are
-have one child
-do not condone cars being parked in our yard

Not that any of the above makes us better people, just addressing the points I've read on here. WTH? is going on with all these stereotypes in this day and age? I'm a little freaked out of OC, please tell me this is not something I will continuously encounter.
You do realize that you are an exception? The entire thread's premise is based off your implied stereotypes confirming them and you as an exception.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:55 PM

48 posts, read 127,504 times
I'm not condoning it, but I think people here discriminate more against the less fortunate. It's the poor, the mentally ill and the vulnerable who are looked down upon. Race doesn't make that big a difference any more if you are well-dressed, have a nice car and a nice house. Again, I don't condone the way it is. It sounds like you won't have any problems.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:37 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,514,800 times
People in OC have no problems with legal Mexicans. Its the garbage crossing the border illegally and living here illegally most have problems with. I cant just take off to Canada and work, get benefits and a license just because I have family there or I want to leave the US. There are rules and policies that needed to be followed to gain citizenship. to another country.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:36 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,247,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
People in OC have no problems with legal Mexicans. Its the garbage crossing the border illegally and living here illegally most have problems with. I cant just take off to Canada and work, get benefits and a license just because I have family there or I want to leave the US. There are rules and policies that needed to be followed to gain citizenship. to another country.
I agree except I would not describe those illegally here as "garbage" as the vast majority are simply looking for work to support their family and they are hard workers. However I find that in the neighborhoods that they typically live in begin to deteriorate and look like what they left behind for a "better" life. This damages everyone and contributes to the dislike of them based on Nationality. The added crime doesn't help and the idiots who demand more and more "rights" while breaking the law every day make it even worse. In general they damage themselves as to reputation.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:04 AM

193 posts, read 307,591 times
The fact that immigration laws are not enforced was part of the reason I was happy to leave the state.

Not only are laws not enforced they end up a burden on society through social programs. I took myself and my manufacturing business out of the state to greener pastures and lower taxes.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:33 PM

658 posts, read 1,548,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Good to know. I feel the same way, It's the illegals who exploit the system and refuse to embrace our culture that I have a problem with. Anyone who migrates to the US legally and takes the effort to actually LEARN ENGLISH, I have no problem with them.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:59 PM

102 posts, read 168,303 times
You know what's funny? If and when the SHTF, all the now snubbed resourceful people will suddenly become Gods in Gilly suits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County