Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 12:30 PM

805 posts, read 1,558,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by russlancea View Post
I've been to Oceanside and Vista in San Diego and wow, what a beautiful place. I totally love it there! It's like the best of both--you have the quiet rural areas that remind me of the simply life, but the city is just minutes away. SD is great, but it doesn't solve the tax problem that you're facing.

My brother loves Utah and says that's his ideal state to live in. I'm married with 2 wonderful kids, so I'm not in touch with what the singles have to pay in taxes, but I can imagine. My husband and I would like to leave CA also, but we are here and it is home. I would never ever live in LA, though.

I don't mind the congestion here. The people are friendly, but not all. Our friends are here, family is nearby (main reason for staying), found a church I love...

You have friends, but do you have good friends or groups that make you feel connected here? I think that plays a big part of being happy someplace. If you're rooted to friends, family, activities, etc., you can overlook crowds, taxes, and even a lack of money (which you, fortunately, don't seem to face .

OC and California is not perfect, but I hope you can find a place to belong. Cheers!

Thanks. I am connected here, friends, sports, etc. I really appreciate all these responses as they give me things to noodle, a better perspective on things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 12:55 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,693,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckodeirish View Post
I hear Abilify is pretty good.
What about OC drove you crazy?
First and foremost, I hated the traffic. I felt my whole life was ruled by traffic, because I couldn't go anywhere without considering what day and time it was. Because by the time I got to work I was tired. By the time I got home from work, I wanted to kill myself. I moved out 2 weeks after I retired. I should have waited a while to see how life was without work.

Secondly, I disliked all the people (I mean, there are SO many people!) and all the noise. You don't realize that Southern CA has a 'hum' that goes on 24/7 -- until it's not there anymore. One of the things I like about NM.

Thirdly, I don't find anything pretty or beautiful about OC. There were just all these buildings and streets and more buildings and more streets. What kept me sane was going down to the beach before daybreak every Saturday and Sunday morning. (Yes, about 40 -- probably more -- weeks out of the year, for 26 years.)

And everything was about money, clothes, money, possessions, money, the beautiful body, and money. You don't realize how really rich OC is until you don't live there anymore. At least, I didn't. Not until I moved away. Not to mention that NM is SO poor. Such a contrast. And while I'm grateful for rich people, because they give to charitable organizations, I just wish there weren't such a focus on money and things in OC.

Another thing against OC -- altho' I didn't realize it while I was there -- the air is SO dirty. NM's air is so relatively clean. In NM, your lungs can go into shock until they adjust. LOL

I'm just homesick. NM is a 'mecca' for a lot of people, albeit mostly retirees. I've met people who have been here in NM for 10, 30, 40 years -- and they are STILL homesick. (No exaggeration.) One day a few months ago I told myself that I wasn't going to stay here 20-30 years and be homesick for Southern CA all the time. That's no way to live. Plus, I need the ocean, the weather, the museums, the concert halls -- and South Coast Plaza!! LLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL And, oh dear god, some good restaurants.

OH -- and seriously -- if you move to a higher altitude, you may easily develop high blood pressure. When you've lived at sea level most of your life, a higher altitude is not good for the body. I haven't felt really well in the 7 years I've lived in NM -- but then, I'm, ahem, older. LOLOLOLOL

It's up to you, of course. But if you've never lived outside So Cal -- you could be in for a big shock, once the 'honeymoon' phase is over. You move to a place with bad weather and nothing to do -- it certainly is a different life than in So Cal.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:55 PM

128 posts, read 179,522 times
I've moved around my whole life and would promote others to go experience different regions of the world. Texas, Florida, Colorado, Illinois, Missouri, and now California. Big city, small town, and everything in between.

My guess is you'll move out and love your decision. My friends thought I was nuts for leaving downtown Chicago. I had a lot of fun there, but big city life wore on me after a few years and I wanted out. So I left and never looked back.

Personally, I'll never live in cold weather again unless I were to move back to my hometown to be closer to family.

The option of being outside year round, not having to bundle up, freezing while the car warms up before my morning commute, dashing into a store when it is cold outside, months on end of spending all of your free time indoors due to the cold - no thanks. The traffic in Orange County is a small price to pay for the freedom that the weather provides while still allowing me to be in an area where my career can grow.

I'd still ideally like to live in the North County of San Diego. To me, that is ideal. But a job offer came up in Orange County that I couldn't pass up so here I am.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:15 PM

153 posts, read 269,903 times
Depends on what you're looking for, which I guess you can only answer. If it's not in OC, then probably not a good idea to stick around given the high housing cost.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:52 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
No need to question your sanity. A lot of people actually decide to leave the "paradise" of OC after living there for a while. Of the people we know who left some stays only a few years, some a couple of decades. However, yes, sane people do leave.

We lived in OC for 18 years and decide d to move (partially sort of, I still hang around part of the year, but our family is now based in Michigan). After a time the magic wear off a bit. "Exotic" palm trees start to look like telephone poles with green hats, the lack of space, water, morals, or in the case of government - common sense may bug you after a while. As you age you get more impatient (at least I did) and start to find lines traffic looking for parking, etc intolerable. We also had family issues and the fact that I do not like stagnation, I need BIG change in my life on a regular basis. But it is not insane to consider moving from what some consider paradise. We considered it paradise for most of the 18 years but change came due. What we found is every place has its benefits and its warts. It really is not insane to want to leave any place, or to go any particular place form somewhere (Well except maybe Nebraska, gotta be kinda nuts to go there from anywhere, I would throw Eastern Washington in there too).

On the other hand if the OC lifestyle is still what you are looking for, I do not think you will find it better anywhere else. If you are looking for a change in lifestyle, then it is perfectly reasonable to move (although I admit there are times I think I was insane for moving. However there are also times I come back and say I am so glad I got my family out of this. Depends on the day.)

Old 04-25-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
What we found is every place has its benefits and its warts.
Yes, I agree. That's what it boils down to. It's just a matter of which benefits and what warts you want. I'm just homesick for CA benefits AND ever warts. :-)

Old 04-25-2013, 02:31 PM

805 posts, read 1,558,638 times
I guess there is always the option of leasing out my house in the event that I move, freak out and come running back lol.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckodeirish View Post
I guess there is always the option of leasing out my house in the event that I move, freak out and come running back lol.
DO NOT SELL YOUR HOUSE. DO NOT SELL YOUR HOUSE. DO NOT SELL YOUR HOUSE. If you sell your house, before you've lived in your new place for AT LEAST 2 years, you really are insane.

You think you're going to have a more laid-back life, commune with nature and God, settle by the cozy fire on a snowy winter evening -- I'm telling you -- it's only great in the movies and in books! No, I take that back. As beautiful as CA is (in places), it's not as beautiful as NM. I'm looking out my window, at the Sandia Mountains -- the sun rises over these mountains everyday -- the sunset reflects on these mountains - I love our mean little Roadrunners -- NM is just gorgeous. And I will miss it. I'm just a Big City Gal, so that influences everything I say to you. However, not so Big City that I want to ever live in OC again. Didn't someone recommend North San Diego County? Why don't you take a good look at that area? Carlsbad, Encinitas, La Jolla?

Old 04-26-2013, 07:09 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
If I lived in Lemon Heights, I'd NEVER want to leave.
Is that one of those places East of the 5? That would probably be enough to bum me out.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:06 PM

162 posts, read 319,116 times
Seems to me you have a good life

But, depending on what you do for a living. You may want to look in other counties or even other states?

Just a thought
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County