U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 12:30 PM

187 posts, read 372,245 times

Advertisements

We are staying for 1 week in Orange/Anaheim, to gather family around a graduation and we're renting a house and wish to prepare some meals. Are there any interesting, local, special food products being prepared in OC that we should know about? We like just about everything. I'm thinking of things like a mom & pop bakery, artisanal local SoCal cheeses, maybe tell me about farmers' markets in the area? I'll check other forums, too, but I really have respect for this one, so please give your two cents. Also, anything totally OC in terms of a casual restaurant is okay, too. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 01:49 PM

29,497 posts, read 71,278,350 times
Brain Tacos?

Old 04-30-2013, 01:56 PM

the farmers market in Santa Ana (Wednesday I think) hAs a booth that specializes in Balsamic Vinegar and olive oils. They have some really good mixes.

Aside fromt he Mexican influence, OC is mostly about chain restaurants. There is not much of a "local flavor" The old Studio Cafe claims to have invented the drink Adios M f.. er. (A glowing blue drink that will leave you decorating the bushes by the third one). I cannot think of anything else that is uniquely local. Grunion maybe?

Strawberries. There are some huge and really delicious strawberries. Be careful though some of the huge strawberries taste like Styrofoam. However if you find the delicious giants, they are really good. A lot of people have back yard Loquat trees, avocado trees or persimmon trees. Once upon a time Orange County had Oranges. not anymore. Now OC has subdivisions. Cannot eat those.

Frozen chocolate covered bananas are an OC beach thing. Oh and Date shakes (really gross, but I think those are a local delicacy).

Old 04-30-2013, 03:07 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,971,546 times
Here's a farmers market in Orange: Orange Home Grown

I've never been there, but it sounds pretty representative of the farmer's markets you would find around OC. Here are some of my favorite places to eat in the central OC area:

Mil Jugos - Santa Ana, CA (Venezuelan food)
Anepalco's Cafe - Orange, CA (gourmet mexican)
Felix Continental Café - Orange, CA (good cuban food in the Orange Circle--cool place to visit)

There are other joints I can't think of off the top of my head, but you can browse yelp and probably discover a number of places worth checking out while you're here.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:19 AM

187 posts, read 372,245 times
Thanks to both of you, you gave me a start. Sad about orange groves plowed under for subdivisions. It would have been cool to have groves nearby, though we are in Miami and get enough citrus. Will check out the strawberries and the Cuban restaurant.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:51 AM

Thought you were looking for local foods to make and try at home. As far as resturuants go, most are just chains, but there are little restaurants of nearly every ethnicity. Try the Shawarma at Poppa Hassans, Mexican food is everywhere. My personal favorites are Chili Pepper in Orange, Ponchos Number V in santa Ana, a Carcineria on tustin in Orange, and a place just called "Taco" in santa ana off of Bristol street near civic center (they have brain tacos if you want to try them). However you will find Cuban, Italian, French, Thai, British (The old Ship), wild game (Class of 57 in balboa (Newport beach), chinese (Yen Ching in Orange), smokehouse style (Johnny Rebs in Orange, Orange County Mining Company - fabulos views get a window table and go on a clear night). You name it, there is probably a small restaurant of that ethnicity nearby.

If you want a really unique dining experience, make reservations at the Hobbit, but reserve now and bring a lot of moeny. You are looking at a minimum of $50 per person and more typically $100 plus (if you get wine). This is probably the most unique fine dining experience you will ever have. Seven course meal that lasts for over 3 hours. (Oh and do not eat lunch on the day you go). Great wine cellar, fantastic food.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:34 PM

809 posts, read 1,551,340 times
This isn't local to Orange, but if you're on the 405 freeway and in the mood for pizza--yes, pizza--you have to go to Dano's Pizzeria in Westminster. It's right off the 405 at Magnolia. After my husband found this place on Yelp.com, this is all we ever go to now. Best, best pizza. Love the sauce and breadsticks.

Also not near Orange or Anaheim, but if you want to buy seafood to cook at home, the Asian/ethnic markets have fresh seafood at great prices. Little Saigon in Westminster has several large supermarkets, but watch out for bad drivers

Old 07-14-2013, 11:17 PM

22,164 posts, read 27,309,792 times
Great food places

Mangia Mangia in Huntington
Phillies cheese steak sandwiches right next door
Renaudo's restaurant in Westminster
G burger in LaHabra
Slaters 50/50
Joes Sushi in HB cheap good and all u can eat.
Mi Casa in Newport Beach
Trabuco Oaks steakhouse ( make reservations or you won't get in)
harpoon Harry's in sunset ( don't bother with captain jacks service and food quality has gone downhill IMO)
Paul's cafe in fountain valley for breakfast.get the ham breakfast
Cappys cafe in newport on PCH ( very busy place insane on weekends but waitresses are cute food is great and plentiful)

Old 07-15-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Great food places

Trabuco Oaks steakhouse ( make reservations or you won't get in)

They have a dress code, men must wear a tie, but they prefer if you wear a bizzarre or incredibly ugly old tie. Something you really hate is best.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:14 PM

22,164 posts, read 27,309,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
They have a dress code, men must wear a tie, but they prefer if you wear a bizzarre or incredibly ugly old tie. Something you really hate is best.

Lol yeah if you wear a tie make sure its one you hate. Seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County