Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2013, 10:07 AM

69 posts, read 203,151 times

Advertisements

Just out of curiosity, which area is generally better for outdoor activities, Los Angeles county or Orange county? By outdoor activities, I mean things like bike riding, roller skating, running, that sort of stuff.

Also - might be a silly question, but is there any place in southern California that is nice for kayaking other than the ocean and any lakes in the mountains? I don't know of any rivers or lakes or anything in that entire area other than in the mountains...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 10:42 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,569,402 times
It depends in which county you live. If you live in LA county then LA county is better based on the fact that you wouldn't have to travel as far to get to a place to do outdoor activities.
Otherwise, there are no significant differences.

Kern River.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:47 AM

3,443 posts, read 5,227,015 times
LA does have some great areas for this, mostly north of town, east of Malibu, etc, but I think overall, OC will have more of this because it's less urbanized, has more nature, fewer crowds, etc.

As for kayaking, there are reservoirs for this on the outskirts, like Lake Perris for example, which don't require a drive to the mountains. Or, in San Diego you can go on Mission Bay, which is shallow, flat, and tailor-made just for that! A little farther to go, but worth it.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:53 AM

30,707 posts, read 79,541,763 times
There are some small lakes around. Mission Viejo, Irvine Lake, Big Bear and Lake Arrowhead. There are some big ponds in Anaheim. They are basically settling basins. The "Rivers" are generally dry and when they do have water are not safe for kayaking. You can Kayak in the back bay. For long distance bike trail I think Orange County is better, but I am not sure what trails there are in LA. OC has an extensive bike trail system. You can get a map from the county.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:02 AM

5,955 posts, read 13,068,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
LA does have some great areas for this, mostly north of town, east of Malibu, etc, but I think overall, OC will have more of this because it's less urbanized, has more nature, fewer crowds, etc.

As for kayaking, there are reservoirs for this on the outskirts, like Lake Perris for example, which don't require a drive to the mountains. Or, in San Diego you can go on Mission Bay, which is shallow, flat, and tailor-made just for that! A little farther to go, but worth it.
Not sure about that. OC is not rural. That ship has sailed. Its basically built out except for the parks. Its less densely urban, but still urban. LA has the Angeles National Forest/San Gabriels less than a half hour north of the city. OC has the Cleveland National Forest/Santa Anas but these are only half the elevation as the San Gabriels, and less extensive. Santiago Peak is 5,689, Mt. Baldy over 10,000.

Then you have the entire Santa Monica mtns rec area, with tons of public land in Topanga state park, Malibu Creek state park. etc. as well as the Simi/Agoura Hills, canyons around Santa Clarita.

Sure OC has the Laguna Coast wilderness which is beautiful, around the Laguna/Irvine area, but its kind of small compared to whats west of LA. Chino Hills same thing.

The only advantage I see that OC has over LA county in the outdoors, is maybe the beaches are a little better, as one can have bonfires, and there are still major estuaries/salt marshes that are some of the best bird watching along the coast. (Bolsa Chica, Newport Back Bay).

If you really want to compare a place that is less crowded, less urbanized with more nature, then one should compare LA county to Ventura County. Ventura County is what Orange County would be more similar to, if it put some controls over development and urban spraw.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:42 AM

5,888 posts, read 12,969,894 times
Outdoor activities are abundant in both OC and LA.

Many LA/OC lakes are privately owned so you will either need to pay a usage fee or be a member of the HOA.

Kayaking is popular in Marina Del Rey, Los Alamitos Marina (Marine Stadium Area). Huntington Harbour, Newport Harbor and Dan Point.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:56 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,336,922 times
Re kayaking, I understand that LA will be opening a 3 mile section of the Los Angeles river this month as part of its ongoing revitalization efforts. Definitely looking forward to dusting off my kayak to explore it!!!

Both OC and LA have great outdoor recreation. LA probably has more significant mountain country to it's north, but that is offset by greater crowds. Also, OC is closer to SD which has great outdoor recreation in its own right.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:44 PM

8,266 posts, read 13,362,262 times
If you enjoy getting to know other cultures, the following event this weekend is a must-see:

Home - Anatolian Cultures and Food Festival

Awesome way to spend $12!

Old 05-15-2013, 09:35 AM

30,707 posts, read 79,541,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
Re kayaking, I understand that LA will be opening a 3 mile section of the Los Angeles river this month as part of its ongoing revitalization efforts. Definitely looking forward to dusting off my kayak to explore it!!!
Just add water?

It is neat they will be opening parts of the LA river. I hope it is not parts with a full concrete invert. I am wondering where they will find water to fill the river though. It is mostly dry, or at best a few inches deep.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:14 AM

254 posts, read 441,492 times
Areas of Orange County are rife with outdoor activity. The Back Bay in Newport/Costa Mesa has trails all around it, and each night driving home I see so many people running, biking, skating, etc. Irvine has extensive trails that are heavily used by residents as well. You can also kayak the Back Bay, although I only kayak on a casual level, so I can't speak to how hardcore it is. There are lots of hiking trails my family uses as well.

When we lived in L.A. we would head to Griffith Park for the same activities.

I have to say that I GREATLY prefer Orange County beaches to L.A. beaches with the lone exception of Malibu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County