Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 07:52 PM

1 posts, read 7,379 times

Advertisements

Last week we attended our first drum circle in Laguna Beach at Aliso Beach.

We were there from about 6pm until 10:30pm and brought a bunch of towels, blankets, sand toys etc with us.

We now have fleas in our car and our 4 year old son keeps getting bit.

Keep in mind... we dont have any pets that go in the car.

We are thinking it might be fleas from the beach?

Has anyone else had this problem in Laguna?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 11:38 PM

199 posts, read 400,415 times
Or fleas from the other drum circle participants. California fleas have developed an immunity to patchouli.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:59 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,470,532 times
What the heck is a drum circle? Describe these alleged fleas you must be seeing in your vehicle. I have spent a lot of time on O.C. beaches and never encountered this vicious beast.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:30 AM

Ok I will turn down my sarcasm. When I was growing up in the rural midwest we would shake our heads at people like you and just say, "city people."
Anyway in California we do not have the biting sand fleas which in central and south America can cause serious problems. There they can actually embed beneath your skin raising all kinds of problems. They do not inhabit the U.S. !
We have Sand Crabs which resemble sand fleas but are not a health concern. We (fisherman) catch the larger sand crabs and use them for bait when surf fishing. Google sand fleas or sand crabs and see what I am talking about. This site has good photos but I am not sure if it will load for you.
www.fishingdestinguide.com/baitSANDFLEAS.html
Good luck and if in doubt apply bug repellant before your next "drum circle".

Old 05-31-2013, 04:12 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dober1 View Post
Ok I will turn down my sarcasm. When I was growing up in the rural midwest we would shake our heads at people like you and just say, "city people."
Anyway in California we do not have the biting sand fleas which in central and south America can cause serious problems. There they can actually embed beneath your skin raising all kinds of problems. They do not inhabit the U.S. !
We have Sand Crabs which resemble sand fleas but are not a health concern. We (fisherman) catch the larger sand crabs and use them for bait when surf fishing. Google sand fleas or sand crabs and see what I am talking about. This site has good photos but I am not sure if it will load for you.
www.fishingdestinguide.com/baitSANDFLEAS.html
Good luck and if in doubt apply bug repellant before your next "drum circle".
When I was growing up in coastal Orange County we would shake our heads at people like you and just say "inlanders":

Ceratopogonidae - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We also never used sand crabs for bait. That's what mussels were for.

That said, I don't recall those little annoying ankle-biters ever leaving the beach with me. Perhaps what you have in the car are regular fleas which can get pretty bad around there.

I never cared for Aliso. Had really coarse sand, a steep beach break (no good for body surfing) and that awful looking concrete pier (now gone).

Last edited by CAVA1990; 05-31-2013 at 04:32 AM..

Old 06-01-2013, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
When I was growing up in coastal Orange County we would shake our heads at people like you and just say "inlanders":

Ceratopogonidae - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We also never used sand crabs for bait. That's what mussels were for.

That said, I don't recall those little annoying ankle-biters ever leaving the beach with me. Perhaps what you have in the car are regular fleas which can get pretty bad around there.

I never cared for Aliso. Had really coarse sand, a steep beach break (no good for body surfing) and that awful looking concrete pier (now gone).
Mussells are not near as good as soft shelled sand crabs. That is a quote from an "inlander".

Old 06-01-2013, 12:35 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Odd nobody has asked this question: what color and size are the fleas in your car?

I spent decades living at the beach in South OC and don't recall ever receiving bites from sand fleas. Pet fleas are another story. No shortage of those.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:42 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Odd nobody has asked this question: what color and size are the fleas in your car?

I spent decades living at the beach in South OC and don't recall ever receiving bites from sand fleas. Pet fleas are another story. No shortage of those.
The small pink ones are worse than the big blue ones.

Remember your first drum circle?

Old 06-01-2013, 12:15 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
That cherry has yet to be popped. I'm not the drum circle type. My niece used to attend them, somewhere in Laguna, back in her hairy legs and armpits hippie girl phase.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:45 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Pet fleas are another story. No shortage of those.
Ya gotta be cheaper than dirt to have a pet flea, Fontucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County