Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2013, 09:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,290 times

Advertisements

Born and raised in the East Bay and nervous about moving to Orange County. Honestly isn't my first choice, but husbands job comes first. I'm looking for info on places and things to do that will ease the transition. I'm going into this move pretty blind, and with commute and work for him, I'm assuming I'll have an excess amount of free time. I've heard the people generally aren't the most open minded and accepting, but I'm sure it's not everywhere so please, point me in that direction.

Few things about myself,
23 married with 2 small kids
Multiracial, dyed hair, gauged ears
Work as a server/bartender

I know those things don't matter much but I'm easily judged at first glance and I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks in advance for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 11:27 AM

5,888 posts, read 12,997,474 times
First: Where will your husband work?

About places to live: Huntington Beach (within a 2 miles of PCH) and Costa Mesa are probably the most accepting cities for people that "want to do their own thing"

Although you should be able to fit into most OC cities.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:31 AM

815 posts, read 2,697,647 times
Not sure where in the East Bay you lived but if it's the Berkeley, Oakland, Emeryville area you'll be pretty disappointed on the overall conservatism of Orange County. As Pirahna suggested, Huntington might be a good fit. Plenty of young folks, nightlife and job opportunities with bars, restaurants, etc. although a bit homogenous and douchey for my taste.
I would strongly recommend going up PCH about 8 miles to coastal Long Beach. Comparatively, it's very diverse and politically progressive. Plenty of hipster bars, tattoo parlors, and restaurants. Very warm and welcoming to gays, inter-racial couples, you name it.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:18 PM

254 posts, read 442,355 times
If there's any way your husband's commute won't be atrocious, I wholeheartedly recommend Long Beach as well. We lived there for several years and it's a great place for families and people who live off the beaten path.

If you can't do Long Beach, I'd go with Fullerton or Orange. Costa Mesa would be okay, too, or perhaps one of the nicer areas in Santa Ana if you don't have school age kids (the schools absolutely suck).

We've lived in Orange County for the last 8 years due to my husband's school/job and are moving to Portland, OR in 59 days. Yes, I am counting down to our escape. OC is a beautiful place, but if you are a liberal, alternative person it can be hard to make connections. We have an awesome core group of friends, but I feel like I need to breathe.

Best of luck in your move. If you need specifics or have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:19 PM

254 posts, read 442,355 times
Oh, forgot to mention - Huntington Beach used to be a racist hotbed. Tons of hate literature came out of the place. It's been gentrified a lot since I lived there (late 90s/early 2000s), but some of the old guard still remains. For the most part, it's fine but the northern part of the city is full of late adopters. I'd avoid there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County