Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 07:58 AM

10 posts, read 33,112 times

Advertisements

Hello -

I was so excited when I found this forum. My DB, might have an opportunity to move to So. CA. Work would be in Upland and we have no idea where to live. Currently we live in a great Chicago neighborhood. Walking distance to shops, restaurants, cafe's, grocery stores, etc. pretty much a 5 to 10 minute walk to get to any of those. We like walking to places, we both have an hour commute everyday so it's nice to stretch our legs on the weekends. Currently we pay about 1800/month on a two bedroom/ 2 bathroom place and great amenties including a rooftop deck. My question is where is there something similar to like in So. CA? Where driving to Upland isn't more than an hour? Also my boyfriend loves to sail and during the summers here in Chicago, he's out sailing on the lake every Saturday, so that is something that would be important to him. But we do not have to live on the beach. He has a possible co-worker that lives in Seal Beach and says it's about less than an hour to Upland. Considering housing costs in SoCal, how much more would we have to "cough up" to have the same type of neighborhood. We are in our 30s, no kids yet.

Thanks in advance!
Gss517
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 09:06 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Seal Beach is more than an hour from Upland unless you plan on driving in the middle of the night or have a private helicopter. Its just about an hour under absolutely ideal conditions, which of course don't exist in real life. Traffic in an out of the Inland Empire (where Upland is located) is some of the worst in the country. You're better off living out that way. Remember, an hour's drive doesn't take you very far in SoCal.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:10 AM

110 posts, read 440,062 times
The simple answer is to stay in Chicago. You'll read this over and over on these boards...So Cal has nothing like north east and midwest cities. And, a lot of people love this area because of that. This message board is littered with gripes from people like myself who miss city life. Worse than that, you'll be forced to live in the IE or commute hours a day.

Visit for a couple weeks and make your own decision. But, I for one, could not recommend So Cal to someone that enjoys real city life.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:14 PM

Hi -

Okay, point taken. But's let's say I am going to move, then what would you guys recommend? I have lived in Chicago/ and suburbs my entire life so I'm used to the suburban lifestyle. If that's a sacrifice then that's what we're going to have to deal with. Thank you for giving a realistic input, it definitely helps. In Chicago, I drive 1 hour for a "reverse commute" for 23 miles. Is it worse than that?

Thanks!

Old 11-07-2007, 12:53 PM

264 posts, read 397,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gss517 View Post
Hello -

I was so excited when I found this forum. My DB, might have an opportunity to move to So. CA. Work would be in Upland and we have no idea where to live. Currently we live in a great Chicago neighborhood. Walking distance to shops, restaurants, cafe's, grocery stores, etc. pretty much a 5 to 10 minute walk to get to any of those. We like walking to places, we both have an hour commute everyday so it's nice to stretch our legs on the weekends. Currently we pay about 1800/month on a two bedroom/ 2 bathroom place and great amenties including a rooftop deck. My question is where is there something similar to like in So. CA? Where driving to Upland isn't more than an hour? Also my boyfriend loves to sail and during the summers here in Chicago, he's out sailing on the lake every Saturday, so that is something that would be important to him. But we do not have to live on the beach. He has a possible co-worker that lives in Seal Beach and says it's about less than an hour to Upland. Considering housing costs in SoCal, how much more would we have to "cough up" to have the same type of neighborhood. We are in our 30s, no kids yet.

Thanks in advance!
Gss517
You do realize that Upland is in San Bernardino County? It also has the greatest pizza place in CA...San Biaggio's.

Upland is quite a jaunt from OC. As someone suggested come out for a couple weeks and get a feel for the area.

If you like hiking mountains, Upland is a great place. It's in the San Gabriel foothills, and there are so many great trails in and through the mountains from the Upland area.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:54 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,437,098 times
There are actually some decent areas within reasonable distance from Upland. I would recommend Brea (30 minutes away from Upland), which has a nice downtown, a mall, and loads of shopping and food. Also, consider Diamond Bar, which is a good safe area in LA County, about 25 minutes to Upland and just over the OC/LA Border. Add about 25 minutes to each one's commute in heavy traffic.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:52 PM

543 posts, read 1,900,564 times
You sound like you really love where you live . Believe me Upland will be the polar opposite from where you are now. You are no where near the beach, and you are very inland so expect a lot of smog. It gets very hot there as well, no ocean breeze, but being from Chicage that probably won't bother you. Upland, in my opinion is not going to have the vibe that you describe in Chicago. You must have a car here. I repeat MUST. The only place that might be similar to where you are now is San Francisco, Northern CA. I would suggest that you stay put until you have a better opportunity in another part of California. Good luck whatever you decide.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:18 PM

Hold up... We're not moving to Upland, did I write that? My BF will be working there not living there. I would be working from home most of the time with frequent travel (close to the airport is nice). It seems from all the posts that people are trying to scare us away, fearing more people, meaning more cars, will create more traffic. I guess that's true too... I live in Chicago and yes...I love my neighborhood too, but we are mostly likely going to make the move because I think it would be definitely a different experience to live in So. CA. I have witnessed the traffic so I know you guys are right. It's a nightmare... and in regards to the city lifestyle...yeah I know...NO cigar there either...BUT.... I would like to hear the positives.... Are there any, besides the weather?

Old 11-08-2007, 08:52 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
I doubt anyone's trying to scare you off because they don't want more people moving here. I don't care how many people move here because its already too crowded for me and I'm leaving. A lot of people come to City-Data thinking they have any idea about SoCal's traffic nightmare because they're from another big city. Sorry, but its not the same. An hour's drive from Upland doesn't get you very far. The suggestion of Diamond Bar or Brea is a good one. They're a reasonable distance from Upland and are nice areas. You could also look in Glendora.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:31 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,437,098 times
To give you an idea of two areas reasonably close to Upland
Downtown Brea

Brea Mall
http://l.yimg.com/www.flickr.com/images/spaceball.gif (broken link)

Diamond Bar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County