Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 03:33 PM

83 posts, read 169,555 times

Advertisements

Assuming all the normal bills for the average person (car payment, credit card bills, food, gas, etc), what would be a good salary to have if you wanted to live in the Huntington Beach area in a home (with a garage) that has around 2000 sq ft? I'm single and don't have any kids.

I'd like to be able to live comfortably and not paycheck to paycheck. I'm not looking to go on expensive vacations, have an expensive car, etc. But, I just want to be able to go out to eat when I want to without worrying about overdrawing my account. I'm looking to start a business and am trying to figure out what my revenue and profit margins need to be in order to live that kind of lifestyle in huntington beach.

I'm looking for some kind of realistic recommendation like ...150k, 200k, more?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 04:17 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,169,536 times
Prices for single family homes in HB with 2000+ sf start in the high-$600s. If you can live with 1500+ sf, then you can start in the mid-$500s. You should be fairly comfortable with a salary between $120K-150K a year in those price ranges.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:49 PM

10 posts, read 10,504 times
Anything over $20,000 (20K) is fine. Depends on whether you want a billion dollar house and super-yachts and owning skyscrapers and fifty-seven 3-million dollar cars and a castle with a moat with alligators in it etc.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:20 PM

18 posts, read 29,036 times
100k household income.

Anything less, don't bother living here.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:27 AM

808 posts, read 1,877,633 times
Why do you need such a large house if you're single and have no kids? Even in Huntington Beach you can find apartments for less than $1500/month.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:16 PM

363 posts, read 513,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOrangeCounty View Post
100k household income.

Well said.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:46 PM

Thanks for the responses so far. I used to live in california for a while and lived in apartments, so I'm aware of the cost of living. I live in Ohio now in an average sized home. I enjoy having a little bit more space and a garage to work on my car, etc. So, I'm just trying to gauge what I'll need to make to have a similar lifestyle. There's certainly nothing wrong with a cheaper apartment and I lived in those throughout my 20's, but I'm 31 now and looking for a regular home.

As a side note, I also like fixing up homes, so I figure my money is better spent purchasing a home where I can put it to good use. What is the market like right now for buying foreclosures or homes that need repairs? The last time I was there it seemed like investors were just making all cash offers and snatching up homes like crazy, making it difficult for the average person to have a chance.

Thanks

Old 07-17-2013, 12:01 AM

1,083 posts, read 2,169,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekosu View Post
As a side note, I also like fixing up homes, so I figure my money is better spent purchasing a home where I can put it to good use. What is the market like right now for buying foreclosures or homes that need repairs? The last time I was there it seemed like investors were just making all cash offers and snatching up homes like crazy, making it difficult for the average person to have a chance.

Thanks
That's still happening. Considering there are a lot less distressed sales on the market now, it's even more competitive. A lot of the REOs and short sales I'm seeing on the market these days are going up for over what would seem like fair market value, or they are listed way below and eventually get bid above (ebay mentality). This is a very unscientific observation, but I believe there may be a psychological affect behind the words "short sale" and "foreclosure" that makes some buyers believe they're getting a deal when they are not. I've seen better deals on some outdated standard sales.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:13 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,482,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOrangeCounty View Post
100k household income.

Many do live here making under 100K, including some on this board.

My guess is you are speaking to those not already here and wanting the "OC lifestyle", whatever that is.

Last edited by mrsltd; 07-17-2013 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 07-17-2013, 11:23 AM

Thanks. When I lived there before I was making about 84k per year and was paying 1450 dollars for a 1bdrm apt. With all my bills and the gas I spent on my commute every day, even 84k didn't seem like enough. I never felt like I had enough money leftover to put into savings or my 401k.

I'm not really looking to acquire more things and live a lavish lifestyle. I just want to live an average lifestyle where I live in a home and save money for retirement. So if you have made less than 100k per year and are somehow living that kind of life, I would definitely like to know how you are doing it.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County