Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 12:11 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,536,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legal_eagle View Post
There's always a trade off.

So where are you going to move?
AZ or TX most likely. Im well aware of the tradeoffs. The ONLY good thing about southern California is the weather. I'll gladly give up the weather to be somewhere I can own a nice big home in a nice neighborhood for what you would pay for a studio in the ghetto here. A place that doesn't charge you an arm, leg and firstborn to register a car or own a small business. A place where I dont have to sit in ridiculous traffic every time I wanna go further than a few blocks. A place that doesnt treat you like a criminal when you want to do something protected under the 2nd amendment like buy a firearm, and not have to register it with a corrupt state who has no right to make me register it. Lets not forget those 10,000 criminals being released back on to the streets, and I cant even carry a gun to protect myself? Seems to me thats a fantastic reason to be allowed to carry one. The unconstitutional gun laws and disgusting Democratic rhetoric with idiots like Brown and Feinstein are about reason enough to move right there. Its no wonder people are leaving this state in droves and heading to other states. This article from a few months ago sums it up nice and shows how big a ripoff CA is.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/trulia/2...ut-people-are/

Last edited by dexter14; 08-09-2013 at 12:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 05:44 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Have you seen the property taxes in Texas? Everything is a trade off. I would love to move to Wyoming. At one time I would of moved to Oregon or Colorado but those states are becoming californicated at a rapid pace. What do you think happens when a bunch of liberals move. They are like the Borg. California wasn't always a liberal state. With huge influxes of people moving here. You get what we have now. I would do research before moving anywhere. You ever seen Dallas / Fort Worth traffic? Bout as bad as here. Yes our gun laws suck I agree. No place or state is perfect. I e been all over the US and while there are other places ill move to when I retire. i have a lot invested in California and picking up and moving right now is not a option.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 08-09-2013 at 07:02 AM..

Old 08-09-2013, 06:25 AM

643 posts, read 1,485,041 times
We had more than twice the house size (and quality) to move here, but we have gladly traded the jumbo house for the gorgeous Pacific coastline that's now a short drive away. When I drive along PCH and find the day's first glimpse of Aliso Beach, it takes my breath away every time. We've given up a lot to be here, but to us, it's worth it. Not saying it's perfect, but I've yet to meet anyone who thinks they live in Utopia's zip code. YMMV.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:53 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
AZ or TX most likely. Im well aware of the tradeoffs. The ONLY good thing about southern California is the weather. I'll gladly give up the weather to be somewhere I can own a nice big home in a nice neighborhood for what you would pay for a studio in the ghetto here. A place that doesn't charge you an arm, leg and firstborn to register a car or own a small business. A place where I dont have to sit in ridiculous traffic every time I wanna go further than a few blocks. A place that doesnt treat you like a criminal when you want to do something protected under the 2nd amendment like buy a firearm, and not have to register it with a corrupt state who has no right to make me register it. Lets not forget those 10,000 criminals being released back on to the streets, and I cant even carry a gun to protect myself? Seems to me thats a fantastic reason to be allowed to carry one. The unconstitutional gun laws and disgusting Democratic rhetoric with idiots like Brown and Feinstein are about reason enough to move right there. Its no wonder people are leaving this state in droves and heading to other states. This article from a few months ago sums it up nice and shows how big a ripoff CA is.

Jobs Aren't Leaving California For Texas, But People Are - Forbes
I understand why you may feel the way you do, but I have lived in TX and currently live in AZ and all I can think about is the Pacific coast! Both of those states have their pros and cons. Texas is huge and offers a wide variety of lifestyles and living options, but the property taxes can be pretty steep. Cities like Dallas, Houston and Austin have traffic issues similar to what you're facing now. Arizona offers a much more affordable lifestyle and the Grand Canyon, but there is no ocean view and the summers in the Phoenix area can be brutal! Oh, and if you are concerned about An abundance of Mexican people being around then neither place may appeal to you since both were once a part of Mexico and still have strong generational ties to it.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion but, as others have said, there will be trade offs. Good luck with your move!

Old 08-09-2013, 01:19 PM

Yes, Ive been to both states and seen the traffic in Dallas and Phoenix and its NOTHING compared to OC and especially LA. In fact, Phoenix ranks 8th and Dallas ranks 13th while LA/Long Beach/Santa Ana rank 2nd. I would be in the Plano or McKinney area in TX or Scottsdale area in AZ and I work from home, so commuting into Dallas or Phoenix wouldnt even be an issue. The population of Plano and Scottsdale is half of what Anaheim is, so there goes a bunch of cars and people right there. Plus, the cities are more spread out, not on top of each other like here where Anaheim runs into Garden Grove and Orange and Cypress etc...You are talking like 5 times the amount of people and traffic in one area as you get somewhere more spread out with much less people like Plano TX or Scottsdale AZ. Anyways, just trying to let people thinking about moving here know that besides the weather and scenery, it sucks out here unless you make well over 100k a year and love to pay 2-5x the amount of what you would pay in most any other state for the same thing.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:38 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,240 times
I love the irony of posts like this.

It sounds as though the OP can't afford to live here and is blowing off some steam.

None of his complaints affect me, or my daily life.

----

I've worked with those "illegals" for 8 years in Anaheim and most are upstanding, hardworking and gracious people.

And really the only time I get asked for money at a gas station is in Anaheim. And it's not a huge deal; I don't give them money.

And yes there are dumpy and dangerous parts of Anaheim (and I wouldn't really recommend Anaheim to live), but there are plenty of areas in SoCal that are nice and reasonable to live.

---

Today I stepped outside, even in dumpy Anaheim, and the weather was perfect. A slight ocean breeze...what's Texas like? Hmmm, let's see 98deg. and Thunderstoms...enjoy!

Old 08-09-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
I love the irony of posts like this.

It sounds as though the OP can't afford to live here and is blowing off some steam.

None of his complaints affect me, or my daily life.

----

I've worked with those "illegals" for 8 years in Anaheim and most are upstanding, hardworking and gracious people.

And really the only time I get asked for money at a gas station is in Anaheim. And it's not a huge deal; I don't give them money.

And yes there are dumpy and dangerous parts of Anaheim (and I wouldn't really recommend Anaheim to live), but there are plenty of areas in SoCal that are nice and reasonable to live.

---

Today I stepped outside, even in dumpy Anaheim, and the weather was perfect. A slight ocean breeze...what's Texas like? Hmmm, let's see 98deg. and Thunderstoms...enjoy!
So you like to sit in the 2nd worst traffic in the nation, pay the highest amount for gas, very high car registration fees and insurance, be in an area with some of the worst unemployment and homeless rates AND you want to pay about 5 times the amount of money for housing just to have a "slight ocean breeze" and sun shine? Pretty ridiculous but hey, its your money and you are getting suckered for every penny. Plenty of other states have sunshine and breezes too you know Oh and I make plenty of money, I am just tired of the overcrowding, traffic, high prices for everything and the communist Democrats taking this once great state over.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:31 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
^^^ Rush Limbaugh listener.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:51 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
^^^ Rush Limbaugh listener.
Or YTG is back under another name, ranting again...

Old 08-09-2013, 05:04 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
So you like to sit in the 2nd worst traffic in the nation, pay the highest amount for gas, very high car registration fees and insurance, be in an area with some of the worst unemployment and homeless rates AND you want to pay about 5 times the amount of money for housing just to have a "slight ocean breeze" and sun shine? Pretty ridiculous but hey, its your money and you are getting suckered for every penny. Plenty of other states have sunshine and breezes too you know Oh and I make plenty of money, I am just tired of the overcrowding, traffic, high prices for everything and the communist Democrats taking this once great state over.
My commute is 30 min each way, sometimes less.

My registration is currently high because I have two new(er) cars, that was the cost of buying new cars. My old Civic's registration from 2002 was about $150, I think. Maybe even cheaper.

My job has great benefits and salary that is unmatched anywhere else in the country.

The homelessness doesn't affect me and the unemployment rate doesn't affect me either.

I don't know where you're getting 5x housing, because average rent in the US is around 800. That'd put you at 4000 a month. Rents in SoCal for a decent 1-2brd range from 1300-2500. You can rent a very nice place in Tustin, Irvine, Fullerton for 2,000.

Plus no other place has the consistent good weather that we do and you've admitted it.

Like I said, none of these things bother me. I love it here and I'm happy.

I'm not the one complaining and still living here...who's the sucker?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County