Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 04:11 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,538,346 times

Advertisements

I have lived in various cities all over southern California, from the deserts of Palm Springs all the way to Huntington Beach and now Anaheim. To people in other states, they just see the nice sunny weather and beaches plus luxury living and think its amazing here. Heres a little dose of reality other people will or may not tell you. This USED to be a great place to live, not anymore. Aside from downtown NY or SF, we now pay the most for everything here. Gas, groceries, housing, insurance, taxes etc..The going rate for an apartment in a nice area in Anaheim (near Angels stadium) and in a nice complex is currently running $2100 and up! Thats just for a 2 bed/2 bath apartment no bigger than 1200 sqft. Thats just crappy Anaheim. If you want something big and nice closer to the beach, you are looking at $3k minimum. You can get HOUSES twice this size for half the money in just about any other state. Just registering a car a few years old runs hundreds of dollars. I paid $270 for a 2009 Scion XB which is ridiculous. Then we have traffic. Years ago, you could get around ok between 10-2pm while people were at work, not anymore. There is traffic every hour of every day! I came out of a concert a few nights ago in Hollywood and traffic at 1am! Plan on an hour or so just to go 15-20 miles these days unless its like 3am. Traffic just to go a few miles to a grocery store...anywhere.

Also, most of southern California is being overrun by illegals, its rampant. Unless you are paying $5k a month and living at the beach, prepare to feel you are in Mexico in many cities (looking at you Santa Ana, Buena Park, Fullerton and Anaheim) The state is broke so they are raising taxes on everything and to top it all off, over 10k inmates are being released from 33 prisons all over the state (mostly SoCal) before the end of the year because the overcrowding violates constitutional rights. Speaking of constitutional rights, if you are a gun owner, prepare to be treated like a criminal. We have some of the worst and most unconstitutional gun laws here. Forget every getting a CC permit and you have to keep any firearm LOCKED in a case in your trunk with ammo separate from it. Everything must be registered, they can deny your right to own one for any reason or make you wait months past the already absurd 10 day wait period if they feel like and they wont give you a reason.

Make sure you visit the area you are planning to move as well as its surroundings. Plenty of areas go from beautiful neighborhoods to ghetto within a few blocks. Be prepared to be asked for money by bums and crackheads at pretty much any convenience store or gas station unless you are in a REALLY nice and rich area. So basically, even if you have thousands of dollars a month to blow on a tiny apartment or a million on an average house, be prepared for the rest. Driving thru surrounding areas that arent nearly as nice as you sit in a TON of traffic in a car costing you a bunch of money to keep legal and a ton of money to put gas in and insurance you pay for too much for as you drive to a beach that corporations can legally dump chemicals into 5 miles offshore. Cant wait to move out of here!

Last edited by dexter14; 08-08-2013 at 04:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 06:14 PM

484 posts, read 822,342 times
There's always a trade off.

So where are you going to move?

Old 08-08-2013, 07:03 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Thats just crappy Anaheim.
Where you can buy delicious home-made tamales sold door-to-door by a woman named Maria.

Why do I think you've never enjoyed that particular taste treat?

Old 08-08-2013, 08:29 PM

643 posts, read 1,485,780 times
[quote=mbell75;30875419]I have lived in various cities all over southern California, from the deserts of Palm Springs all the way to Huntington Beach and now Anaheim. To people in other states, they just see the nice sunny weather and beaches plus luxury living and think its amazing here. Heres a little dose of reality other people will or may not tell you. This USED to be a great place to live, not anymore.
quote]

First of all, inflation isn't exclusive to California. Have you lived in any other states in the last ten years?

Also, your statement that the state is broke is 3 years out-of date. California now has so much projected revenue that Sacramento legislators are arguing about what to do with it. The final budget surplus figure for 2014 will fall somewhere between $1.2 and $4.4 billion, depending on who's counting.

Read more: California Confronts Budget Surplus - Business Insider

We can argue all day long about the details of the budget surplus but it won't matter. You're just sour on the area.

I've lived in nine states and I think you need to get out of California more in order to appreciate what you have. We've only been here 7 months but before you go warning people to stay away and whining about how bad it is -- you need to develop some more accurate facts and a broader perspective.

My gramps used to say something profound about people who lament that everything "USED" to be better. "These ARE the good old days. If you're around for another 20, 30 or 50 years, you're going to realize you missed 'em."

In any case, I hope things get better for you.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:29 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,471,116 times
I've been here since 1986 and don't have a problem with anything the OP said.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:32 PM

296 posts, read 1,250,511 times
Honestly, I don't identify with any of this.. I've lived in fairly nice apartments in upscale communities in Socal and never noticed too many illegals. We had a large family move in downstairs at one place a month or two before we moved out, but that was it. And they were friendly and quiet so we didn't care. Of course there's crappy cities and areas, but I've managed to avoid living in them (on a student budget no less) so it can definitely be done. Of course buying a home is a different story though. I've never really had to sit in the proverbial traffic from hell everyone complains about.. I don't know if it's because traffic where I used to live and where I live now is ten times worse, but when you live in an area with millions of people of course there's gonna be some congestion.. I think most people expect it going in. But moving very slowly compared to sitting on the freeway completely parked with the clutch thing in "P" for 45 minutes when it's only a 5 mile stretch of road like I do here in Texas every single day, I don't complain about Socal traffic anymore lol. (And if you think it feels like Mexico there, don't ever visit San Antonio where Hispanics really are a 60%+ majority ). I left OC for adventure and cheap tuition, and now I'm moving right back. I think sometimes you get what you pay for in life, and personally I'd rather be homeless on a beach in CA than a millionaire here. But of course, to each our own! And I totally agree people need to research, research, research(!!) before moving anywhere. If you decide not to stay, I hope you find somewhere awesome that fits with what you're looking for.. I know how it feels to not enjoy where you live, even if I don't agree

Old 08-08-2013, 10:57 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
If you want something big and nice closer to the beach, you are looking at $3k minimum. You can get HOUSES twice this size for half the money in just about any other state.
Close to the beach?

Old 08-08-2013, 11:23 PM

46 posts, read 131,188 times
I disagree with the OP as well. We live in Huntington Beach and while things are expensive, they are going to be expensive in any large metro area. That is just the reality of it and should be no surprise.
Are there a lot of Mexicans, yes, but look at the proximity to Mexico. That is another expected issue. And they are doing all the hard labor no one else wants to do. We are a melting pot nation, get used it.
All you have to do is look at the beautiful place we live to understand why so many others want to live here. It's just the way of life here.
I guess you have to decide if you can overlook those things and enjoy it for all the other amenities or decide to go somewhere else that is cheaper and less crowded BUT without the amenities. Everything is a trade off.
I rather see the glass half full than half empty.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:25 PM

23,538 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Well said and excellent post.

I have also complained a lot about CA (I am a native), but after visiting a few other states, I know why people love to live here. Everything is a tradeoff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader33 View Post
I disagree with the OP as well. We live in Huntington Beach and while things are expensive, they are going to be expensive in any large metro area. That is just the reality of it and should be no surprise.
Are there a lot of Mexicans, yes, but look at the proximity to Mexico. That is another expected issue. And they are doing all the hard labor no one else wants to do. We are a melting pot nation, get used it.
All you have to do is look at the beautiful place we live to understand why so many others want to live here. It's just the way of life here.
I guess you have to decide if you can overlook those things and enjoy it for all the other amenities or decide to go somewhere else that is cheaper and less crowded BUT without the amenities. Everything is a trade off.
I rather see the glass half full than half empty.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:34 PM

46 posts, read 131,188 times
I should add that I DID trade a 5000 sq ft house for a 2500 sq ft house here and almost twice the price! I could drive anywhere in my previous metro area in 15-20 min vs the traffic here.
Why? Because this place to gorgeous, temperate, and cultural and I didn't like freezing my butt off in sub zero temps in the winter and sweltering in hot humid mosquito infested summers. It was a land of chain restaurants there and a incredible variety of local fare here. We had muddy rivers there and sandy beaches here. There are so many activities for children to try here, more limited selection there.
It's all about priorities and trade offs....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County