Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 09:52 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,824,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
Why is this thread neverending? I am just not getting it.
It's because some of the people on the "hate" side are simply trolling, and it's surprising that they are allowed to parrot the same troll comments again, and again and get away with it. They come into the thread, trash Irvine for being "corporate" and lacking "night life", yet will never once mention that it fits a certain lifestyle and demographic.

If you're in your 30s, have a young family, want good schools, safety and access to good paying white collar jobs, Irvine is simply unbeatable in OC.

If you're 25, 26, and your idea of a good night is bar hopping, and meeting your friends and social circle at a bar, drinking the entire night away, sloppily dragging yourself to yet another dusty dive bar, yeah, Irvine is not going to be that demographic's cup of tea (funny thing is you can find that in nearby Costa Mesa, Newport, and Huntington Beach if you want, another thing the trolls fail to mention).

White collar, family men, professionals will eat up Irvine.
Young pay check to pay check bohemians will hate Irvine.

I personally don't like the Irvine/Aliso/Mission Viejo "lifestyle" and have never desired to live in master planned burbs, but it doesn't mean I can't see the appeal for certain people, and the population growth, and property prices speak for themselves. Irvine is a HIGHLY desirable place for many, many people.

Last edited by ExeterMedia; 03-12-2014 at 10:17 PM..

Old 03-13-2014, 10:02 AM

643 posts, read 917,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExeterMedia View Post
It's because some of the people on the "hate" side are simply trolling, and it's surprising that they are allowed to parrot the same troll comments again, and again and get away with it. They come into the thread, trash Irvine for being "corporate" and lacking "night life", yet will never once mention that it fits a certain lifestyle and demographic.

If you're in your 30s, have a young family, want good schools, safety and access to good paying white collar jobs, Irvine is simply unbeatable in OC.

If you're 25, 26, and your idea of a good night is bar hopping, and meeting your friends and social circle at a bar, drinking the entire night away, sloppily dragging yourself to yet another dusty dive bar, yeah, Irvine is not going to be that demographic's cup of tea (funny thing is you can find that in nearby Costa Mesa, Newport, and Huntington Beach if you want, another thing the trolls fail to mention).

White collar, family men, professionals will eat up Irvine.
Young pay check to pay check bohemians will hate Irvine.

I personally don't like the Irvine/Aliso/Mission Viejo "lifestyle" and have never desired to live in master planned burbs, but it doesn't mean I can't see the appeal for certain people, and the population growth, and property prices speak for themselves. Irvine is a HIGHLY desirable place for many, many people.
Wow so many generalizations. Maybe you should rethink some of these ideas for a second.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:16 AM

Okay why don't you offer your thoughts? What ideas should I rethink?

Seriously I challenge you to write out a well thought out argument about why you think Irvine is badly planned, and why it sucks, and then explain why real estate in the area is so expensive if Irvine is completely undesirable, or as you put it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by California831 View Post
I'm just here to educate people of irvines awfulness. If I don't tell anyone, they might move there and contibute to that awful place growing.
Quote:
Dont move there unless you want to die a little inside.
I know this takes some minimal effort to write one's thoughts out, but don't be lazy. No more one-liners, then running away. We're waiting for you to expand upon the above.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Okay why don't you offer your thoughts? What ideas should I rethink?

Seriously I challenge you to write out a well thought out argument about why you think Irvine is badly planned, and why it sucks, and then explain why real estate in the area is so expensive if Irvine is completely undesirable, or as you put it...

I know this takes some minimal effort to write one's thoughts out, but don't be lazy. No more one-liners, then running away. We're waiting for you to expand upon the above.
That sounds like a lot of work.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:38 AM

Irvine's negative qualities

-Too corporate
-Sterile
-Very few non-chain restaurants
-All houses painted the same color
-Cops harrass you for everything
-Noise complaints for very little noise
-Gated communities for no real reason
-No downtown
-Overpriced housing
-Nothing is open past 9PM
-The entire city looks the same (there is no personality)
-One company acts like a dictator calling all of the shots
-People seem really unhappy that their version of the American Dream is a huge letdown
-No Mexican food
-Overmanicured
-A real misrepresentation of real life
-way too conservative and christian
-Too many traffic lights that stay red for way too long (people who live there will get this one)
-Irvine is home to a huge college but is the opposite of a college town
-Is also massively sprawled out
-Irvine spectrum is just not a fun place to be
-Very little diversity out of white and asian food, people, etc.
-There seems to be only like two gas stations in the entire city
-Way too many rules.. there is just rule after rule after rule after rule.. isnt this supposed to be the land of the free

Should i keep going?

Old 03-13-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Irvine's negative qualities

-Too corporate
-Sterile
-Very few non-chain restaurants
-All houses painted the same color
-Cops harrass you for everything
-Noise complaints for very little noise
-Gated communities for no real reason
-No downtown
-Overpriced housing
-Nothing is open past 9PM
-The entire city looks the same (there is no personality)
-One company acts like a dictator calling all of the shots
-People seem really unhappy that their version of the American Dream is a huge letdown
-No Mexican food
-Overmanicured
-way too conservative and christian
-Too many traffic lights that stay red for way too long (people who live there will get this one)
-Irvine is home to a huge college but is the opposite of a college town
-Is also massively sprawled out
-Irvine spectrum is just not a fun place to be
-Very little diversity out of white and asian food, people, etc.
-There seems to be only like two gas stations in the entire city
-Way too many rules.. there is just rule after rule after rule after rule.. isnt this supposed to be the land of the free

Should i keep going?
Yes please.

For those things you listed:

1) Is it awful for everyone, or just certain people?
2) Why is it awful for these people?

Quote:
This one is interesting. What is a "real" representation of life according to you?

Old 03-13-2014, 11:46 AM

Moderator cut: Cut orphaned reply

Quote:
Yes please.

For those things you listed:

1) Is it awful for everyone, or just certain people?
2) Why is it awful for these people?

This one is interesting. What is a "real" representation of life according to you?
You asked me, "Should I keep going?" and I replied "Yes please."

All I'm asking you is to further explain on whether you think your reasons for hating Irvine are universal or particular to yourself. If Irvine is so undesirable, why is real estate so pricey in the city? The median list price for a home is nearly $800,000. You even said homes are over priced as one of the reasons you hate Irvine. Well, why are people paying so much money for an "over priced" house? Why is Irvine consistently rated as one of the best cities to live in the U.S?
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...PL0636770.html

You also said Irvine is a misrepresentation of life. What is a "real" representation of life according to you?

You don't seem to be able to answer those type of questions (or are unwilling). I find that curious.

Last edited by bhcompy; 03-13-2014 at 12:16 PM..

Old 03-13-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
All I'm asking you is to further explain on whether you think your reasons for hating Irvine are universal or particular to yourself.

You don't seem to be able to answer that question (or unwilling). I find that curious.
Youve lost me here. I just listed a ton of reasons, I could keep going, but it seems that will not satisfy you.

Am I alone in my my stance? Absolutely not.

Irvines Yelp page: The City of Irvine - Irvine, CA | Yelp oh wow thats a lot of negative reviews

Last edited by bhcompy; 03-13-2014 at 12:17 PM..

Old 03-13-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Youve lost me here. I just listed a ton of reasons, I could keep going, but it seems that will not satisfy you.

Am I alone in my my stance? Absolutely not.

Irvines Yelp page: The City of Irvine - Irvine, CA | Yelp oh wow thats a lot of negative reviews
I see a lot of positive reviews too.

Quote:
Love, love, love this city. I grew up in the Bay Area, went to UCD for my undergrad, and have settled here for my M.S. and Ph.D (Lived here for almost 3 years now). I can honestly say that in the future, I would like to settle down here. Very clean, safe, low drama, organized, and educated. Just what I like. And good food. Lots of it. Though there are more dining options in neighboring cities, the food scene here isn't bad.

There's a lot of reasons why this city is consistently ranked top in safety and management. It's almost a well-oiled machine. The only downer is the traffic at times, though the number of lanes on the main streets and the speed limits allow for potentially quick transportation. Around 5pm, traffic leaving UCI is ridiculous. It can take 30-40min to go about 6mi. Freeways don't help since 405-N is bumper-to-bumper from ~3pm-7pm Mon-Fri. Up until now, I've been able to plan my days to not be stuck in the horrible traffic, and I'll be biking around when the new term starts to actively avoid traffic hour. However, besides that, this city is near-perfect. Housing is expensive, but worth it, in my opinion, for the quality of life that Irvine has to offer.
Quote:
I love living in Irvine also. I never thought I'd say this but I do. Though I still miss living in the Bay Area, lil guy is getting an excellent education, we live in an area free of crime (Irvine was voted 7th safest city in the US of A), litter and like Brendan K said, free of bums and undesirables. I feel extremely safe living here and know that when I walk outside, I won't see loiterers or bits of trash flying around on the road.
Quote:
I LOVE THIS PLACE.
It's possibly the best city. The people are friendly and nice, and the kids are smart. The life is a good one. You don't have to be rich to live here, and all amenities are nearby. The schools are great and people are quiet and close. Neighborhoods are safe and streets are clean. Adults are also very hardworking and while most people living are white and asian, it is only an attraction of those who can work to afford this type of life.
If you hate it, you're either jealous or can't afford it.
People in Irvine are smart.

Deal with it.

Moderator cut: Locking

Last edited by bhcompy; 03-13-2014 at 12:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County