Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2013, 04:16 PM

40 posts, read 50,609 times

Advertisements

Ahaah irvine did have a lot of weird crimes. Back when I was at UCI, it was always a fun time to read the weekly police log. My God, what a ****ing weird place.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:22 PM

2,544 posts, read 2,737,099 times
Also Irvine is overpopulated with a lot of traffic. They keep building more and more homes and it gets worse everyday. In fact in one area they closed an elementary and built high density houses on the lot.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:26 AM

376 posts, read 1,062,518 times
Long time ago I used to make fun of Irvine's cookie cutter bubbleness but then I moved there and loved it. Now when I'm there, I really love how clean and orderly and safe it is, and pretty. I like all the amenities my particular "village" has too. I agree that there are a lot of people in OC who have limited curiosity or experience traveling over the line (or "curtain") to LA, but that's not me. I like to go to all the other places but then come back to nice little, masterplanned Irvine.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:56 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvinegal View Post
I like to go to all the other places but then come back to nice little, masterplanned Irvine.

Irvine is smaller than LA, but with a population of about 229,985 people, it's big. It's growing. Nevertheless, I agree that, although it is about 66.45 sq miles in area, Irvine still feels suburban.

I do think it is weird how marketers have attached the "village" misnomer to the various developments, since they don't really seem like villages.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:20 PM

283 posts, read 626,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post

Irvine is smaller than LA, but with a population of about 229,985 people, it's big. It's growing. Nevertheless, I agree that, although it is about 66.45 sq miles in area, Irvine still feels suburban.

I do think it is weird how marketers have attached the "village" misnomer to the various developments, since they don't really seem like villages.
Depends where you go in Irvine, for example the IBC is quite urban. The "Villages' nomenclature is in reference to the architectural style of a certain community. They are all supposedly tied together by a masterplanned theme that carries over to the residential dwelling units, shopping centers, street layouts etc. Other Irvine clone cities have not been able to replicate this portion of the masterplan that Irvine put into play some 40+ years ago. Most masterplanned "clone" cities just go with faux italian/tuscan (although the craftsman & cape cod architectural styles are making a slight comeback) type dwelling units

Old 10-14-2013, 02:49 AM

193 posts, read 309,850 times
Irvine is where the weirdoes move to, just look at the crimes committed there!

It has the most bizarre crimes that occur in Orange County.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:13 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,948,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfTheCars View Post
Irvine is where the weirdoes move to, just look at the crimes committed there!

It has the most bizarre crimes that occur in Orange County.
God help you if you're concerned about crime in the 5th safest city in the U.S.

http://cbsla.files.wordpress.com/201...ities-data.pdf

Old 10-21-2013, 11:44 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
Irvine has been at the very top of the safest cities list for many years, and that's not about to change.

Rush hour traffic in Irvine can be a chore depending on where you are and where you're headed, but it's a piece of cake compared to most of LA or the SFV, as well as much of the IE.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:12 AM

4 posts, read 7,092 times
I have lived for more than a month in each of the following cities:

Sherman Oaks San Fernando Valley Los Angeles, CA
Berkeley, CA
Pensacola, FL
Charleston, SC
Saratoga Springs, NY near Albany
Groton, CT
San Diego, CA
Silverdale, WA across Puget Sound from Seattle
Pearl Harbor, HI
Guam
Philadelphia, PA
Austin, TX
Midtown NYC
Burlingame San Francisco, CA
Brentwood Los Angeles, CA
West LA Los Angeles, CA
Irvine, CA

...with plenty of travel (pleasure and business) to Japan, Korea, Taiwan, UK, Germany, France, Belgium, Austria, Switzerland, Maldives, Toronto/Vancouver/Montreal, Boston, Charlotte, Indianapolis, New Jersey, Salt Lake City, Minneapolis, St Louis, and god knows how many overnight trips to various tiny cities across the country.

For me, the grass has been greenest in Irvine (renting in Turtle Rock). It's just nice. I can get passable to excellent ethnic food (maybe half a notch below LA and SF/NY). Schools are great and neighborhoods are beautiful for walking around or playing in the park with the kids. Big busy retail/community centers when you want them. (On a busy night the Spectrum actually feels a bit like Times Square) My wife and I commute 15 minutes to work. I love Irvine!

In high school, I wanted to leave SoCal and be a worldly, well-traveled globe trotter. After doing that for the better part of 2 decades, I found that I just liked Socal more than every other part of the world. Hopefully you don't have to come to that decision 5 years from now, sitting on the porch of your brand new house in Turlock, CA!

Old 10-23-2013, 05:40 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcoc2013 View Post
I have lived for more than a month in each of the following cities:

Sherman Oaks San Fernando Valley Los Angeles, CA
Berkeley, CA
Pensacola, FL
Charleston, SC
Saratoga Springs, NY near Albany
Groton, CT
San Diego, CA
Silverdale, WA across Puget Sound from Seattle
Pearl Harbor, HI
Guam
Philadelphia, PA
Austin, TX
Midtown NYC
Burlingame San Francisco, CA
Brentwood Los Angeles, CA
West LA Los Angeles, CA
Irvine, CA

...with plenty of travel (pleasure and business) to Japan, Korea, Taiwan, UK, Germany, France, Belgium, Austria, Switzerland, Maldives, Toronto/Vancouver/Montreal, Boston, Charlotte, Indianapolis, New Jersey, Salt Lake City, Minneapolis, St Louis, and god knows how many overnight trips to various tiny cities across the country.

For me, the grass has been greenest in Irvine (renting in Turtle Rock). It's just nice. I can get passable to excellent ethnic food (maybe half a notch below LA and SF/NY). Schools are great and neighborhoods are beautiful for walking around or playing in the park with the kids. Big busy retail/community centers when you want them. (On a busy night the Spectrum actually feels a bit like Times Square) My wife and I commute 15 minutes to work. I love Irvine!

In high school, I wanted to leave SoCal and be a worldly, well-traveled globe trotter. After doing that for the better part of 2 decades, I found that I just liked Socal more than every other part of the world. Hopefully you don't have to come to that decision 5 years from now, sitting on the porch of your brand new house in Turlock, CA!

Interesting and very "unique" perspective , but for some weird reason, whenever I get homesick for Manhattan, a trip over to Irvine, nice though it may be, just does not fix it.

Last edited by pacific2; 10-23-2013 at 06:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County