Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2006, 01:41 AM

2 posts, read 30,249 times

Advertisements

I'm married, with a 2-year-old, and a new job in Irvine. We want to buy a home (in a good school district), but are finding the home prices in Irvine still slightly ridiculous. So now we're considering Anaheim Hills or Fullerton.

Could someone tell me how the commute compares between the 5, 57, and 55 freeways, from about the 91 to Irvine (John Wayne Airport area)? This would be a HUGE help.... I want to spend more time with my family and less time parked on the freeways!

Advance THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2006, 12:19 AM

39 posts, read 254,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcali View Post
I'm married, with a 2-year-old, and a new job in Irvine. We want to buy a home (in a good school district), but are finding the home prices in Irvine still slightly ridiculous. So now we're considering Anaheim Hills or Fullerton.

Could someone tell me how the commute compares between the 5, 57, and 55 freeways, from about the 91 to Irvine (John Wayne Airport area)? This would be a HUGE help.... I want to spend more time with my family and less time parked on the freeways!

Advance THANKS!
The 5 freeway is just a nightmare along with the 55,91 57 on both the morning and evening commute, the only agruement is which one is worse. ...be prepared.... sorry

Old 10-17-2006, 05:03 PM

12 posts, read 81,362 times
Default Oc Commute

Lately job opportunities in Irvine/OC have boomed and have been drawing residents of nearby localities to Orange County for work. This generally means that traffic congestion is more severe in the morning taking the 5, 55 or 405 South into Irvine, or taking the 91 EAST into north Orange County...however you must also understand that traffic is treacherous in any direction and during most times of the day (and night---yes, you'll be surprised!!). I used to commute from Los Angeles (405 SOUTH) to Irvine, which is normally about a 50 minute drive without traffic, but during normal peak hours, don't be surprised to wait at an upwards of two hours!

Depending on where you live there are "shortcuts" (tounge-in-cheek) that can be used---I retract my statement, actually it is very difficult to avoid traffic wherever you are, it is an inevitable fact that you will grow accustomed to once you live here. However if push came to shove, I would rank the least busiest to most busiest in and out of OC: (1.) CA-22 (2.) CA-57 (3.) CA-55 (4.) I-405 (5.) I-5

Old 10-17-2006, 05:22 PM

2 posts, read 30,249 times
I really appreciate the comments and the rankings. I know I'll be stuck in traffic in any case. I guess I'm just trying to pick the lesser evil. Living up the 55 (Anaheim Hills, Villa Park area) may be the way to go, since the I-5 is the worst, and taking the 57 would require taking the 5 to go further south.

If anyone else has personal experience on these freeways, please post! Thanks!

Old 10-28-2006, 10:34 PM

15 posts, read 63,393 times
I too am moving to the OC for an opportunity in Irvine...I am researching places to live, which will allow for a decent commute...can I ask why you did not consider south of Irvine? We (my wife and I) have not looked North of Irvine...any thoughts?

Old 10-29-2006, 02:48 AM

2,224 posts, read 770,307 times
I live in North Oc - Fullerton, actually. Most of OC is pricey but it is Southern California so I suppose it's all relative. I used to work at the airport. A LOT of your commute will depend on your work hours. Typical office hours will get you a nasty commute. About an hour to travel about 15 miles. Side streets aren't much better. You might want to try Tustin or Villa Park. Anywhere off the 55 should be a little better than the 57 or 5. The 91 is a complete nightmare!! Avoid it if at all possible!! Lots of people live in Riverside County and commute to OC via the 91. Riverside County is cheaper (only by a little these days). Just stay away from Santa Ana!! If you're at all concerned about the illegal immigration problem, it is not the city for you! Well, that might not be entirely fair. Not ALL of any city is bad. Near the airport is nice and Santa ana Heights is really nice too, but MOST of Santa Ana kind of scary.

Old 10-29-2006, 11:50 AM

85 posts, read 642,683 times
What about the toll road? I only take it when I visit my parents in Newport, so I don't know what it's like for daily commuters. My siblings live in Aliso Viejo and Rancho Santa Margarita (south of Irvine) and I think they use the toll road to get to work. Is it too outrageously expensive and does traffic get bad on there too?

Old 10-29-2006, 08:49 PM

2,224 posts, read 770,307 times
I don't know much about the toll road. I generally don't venture into South County very much. Not for any bad reasons though! I just don't really ever have the need to. I'm not against South County at all, I just happen to be more familiar with North County

Old 10-30-2006, 08:37 AM

436 posts, read 676,171 times
We need to make responsible choices for the welfare of our families and ourselves. Life is a series of trade offs. The traffic hassle is bad enough, but the real concern is the amount of toxins you are inhaling everyday day in and day out in high concentrations. The effects of this exposure will increasingly compromise your good health as you grow older. Decide what is more important, your health or great weather, shopping, restaurants.

Old 11-01-2006, 10:32 AM

98 posts, read 426,522 times
I live on the north end of Lake Forest. We're relocating to Arizona for my hubby's job. Our house was only a 7 mile commute for him with NO freeways, which he loved. We're right by El Toro & Santa Margarita Parkway. I work in Laguna Beach, so it's a little longer ride for me -- but still no freeways! Hoping we can avoid them in AZ, too. My house is on Craigslist for Orange County... it's the one with the really cool yard & hillside view deck. At any rate, good luck! Hope you can avoid the durned freeways! I love living in the OC & will miss it a lot!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County