Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 03:17 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,284,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Listen Yid-lach, I'm Jewish too. My parents were Jewish, my grandparents were Jewish...

When my father was a little pisher, my grand parents made him speak English at home, even though they spoke Yiddish. Do you want to know why, because this is America, and we are Americans.

Self segregating yourself pretty much assures you will always be an outsider. It also assures your children will be outsiders too.

Guess what, moving to new country where you don't know anybody or speak the language is tough, but you know what, it's worth it.
jews could pass on as whites.

asians? no.. asian is the perpetual outsider no matter how many generations they have been here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 10:39 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,927,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
jews could pass on as whites.

asians? no.. asian is the perpetual outsider no matter how many generations they have been here
Spoken like a true victim. And Judaism is a religion, not a skin color. There are white, black, and even Asian Jews.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:53 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,297,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Spoken like someone who's likely never been an outsider, or had specific cultural/religious/dietary needs... if you have been in that situation, you would understand why someone might seek a neighborhood where they're not among the only *insert demographic*. As a minority (being Jewish) myself, I actually understand this question. Since you obviously don't, perhaps you should just refrain from commenting?

If you can explain WHY a white gentile might need specific amenities, which wouldn't be found anywhere BUT a majority-WASP neighborhood? Then maybe you'll have a valid point.

Typical.

Since I know you don't share my victimhood (even though I have NO IDEA about you), you can't comment.

You can make all the racist and ignorant comments you want here and I won't tell you to refrain from commenting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Exactly. It's amazing we still have to explain this to people... should be obvious to anyone with critical thinking skills, but I guess some folks are just desperate for attention. As a Jewish person myself, I would HAVE to ask these questions before moving to a new area. For example, what are my chances of finding a synagogue (let alone one of my sect) and kosher market in BFE Kansas? And if you were a black lesbian, would you even feel safe in that same town?

OP: If you ever decide to head north (to the Bay Area), you'll have NO shortage of fellow Indian residents! I live in Sunnyvale, which is literally around 60% Indian... we have Indian markets and restaurants on almost every block, and I've tried most of them by now. LOL

Such ironic comments since there is a definite lack of critical thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
This isn't unique to Indians... this is very typical of Chinese, Iranians, Vietnamese etc. The vast majority of Persians I know specifically hang out exclusively with other Persians. My ex was Vietnamese and 99.9% of her friends circle was other East Asians.

This has a lot to do with the huge difference in cultural norms, it's easier for these people to be around others who understand them culturally than it is for them to change their mannerisms to something new.

So then you think it would be okay to bring back those restrictive covenants to mortgages that prevented blacks, Jews, Mexicans, Catholics etc from moving into white Anglo Saxon Protestant neighborhoods because "those people" just wouldn't fit in because of the "huge differences in cultural norms"?

Quote:
Listen Yid-lach, I'm Jewish too. My parents were Jewish, my grandparents were Jewish....

You are wasting your breath (or time and effort as the case may be).

These people have no interest in being talked out of their narrative of victimhood.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:03 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Typical.

Since I know you don't share my victimhood (even though I have NO IDEA about you), you can't comment.

You can make all the racist and ignorant comments you want here and I won't tell you to refrain from commenting.
I didn't tell you what to do; I said "perhaps," which is a suggestion. And since you aren't contributing anything of value to the conversation, PERHAPS you should take that suggestion.

Quote:
How so? Unlike you and a few others, I took the time to consider WHY they might be seeking an Indian community... I also didn't assume they want to self-segregate, as living near certain amenities or people doesn't mean one never mingles. I live in a mostly Indian neighborhood myself, and still venture to the worlds beyond. LOL

Quote:

These people have no interest in being talked out of their narrative of victimhood.
I never said anything about being a victim, did I? I've only said that I can understand the need for "culturally-specific" surroundings, if one belongs to a minority group. If you come from India and speak Hindi, eat vegetarian Indian food, practice Hinduism, etc, wouldn't it be important to have these things nearby? That's why I mentioned being Jewish, as the same needs might occur for a practicing Jew... I'm not really practicing these days, but if I were, I wouldn't be able to live in a region devoid of synagogues. Get it??

Now, please point out where I tried to make myself (or any minority) into a victim.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Listen Yid-lach, I'm Jewish too. My parents were Jewish, my grandparents were Jewish...

When my father was a little pisher, my grand parents made him speak English at home, even though they spoke Yiddish. Do you want to know why, because this is America, and we are Americans.

Self segregating yourself pretty much assures you will always be an outsider. It also assures your children will be outsiders too.

Guess what, moving to new country where you don't know anybody or speak the language is tough, but you know what, it's worth it.
You're just changing the topic here, because nobody (including the OP) said anything about not assimilating... did they say "I don't want to be around non-Indians, and only want to speak my native language?" Indian people mostly speak English anyway, so I'm not really sure what your point is here.

To repeat: I was merely saying that I understand their question, and whether you're Jewish or not, you still obviously do not get it. Read the OP again, and maybe you'll realize they weren't talking about being a victim, not wanting to assimilate, or anything of the sort. They asked an innocent question, and received rude/bigoted responses for no reason whatsoever. Forgive me for trying to back them up, and explaining WHY they're likely asking this question.

Now, were your parents and/or grandparents practicing Jews? If so, could they live in a region with zero synagogues? Mine couldn't, and we've been assimilated for three generations - in fact, it's one of the reasons my parents chose the neighborhood they did (proximity to the synagogue they liked best). Note: Assimilation doesn't require abandoning one's cultural or religious practices. You can blend them with American culture, as people have done for centuries here.

Last edited by gizmo980; 10-24-2018 at 12:22 PM..

Old 10-24-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by achaba View Post
Hi,

I am moving to Orange County from North California next week and would be looking in apartments around Orange County.Can anyone please suggest the apartment names where I can easily find Indians ?

Regards
This is literally all they said. Read it again, and again, until it sinks in... then come back and explain to us how this comes across as "playing the victim," or where it implies they have no interest in assimilating. They didn't even request a whole Indian neighborhood; just an apartment complex where they might find other Indian people. No wonder they haven't returned to the thread, for goodness sakes!

Old 10-24-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Spoken like a true victim.
They just said "Jews can pass as whites," which is mostly true since the majority of American Jews are Caucasian. This is a fact, so I'm not sure what makes you think they're playing victim. Methinks you are reading too deeply into a simple comment!

Quote:
And Judaism is a religion, not a skin color. There are white, black, and even Asian Jews.
It's actually more than a religion (does have a genetic component), but yes - we do come in all colors. Still, as I said, the majority of American Jews are Caucasian/Ashkenazi. And their point was clear to me.

Old 10-25-2018, 11:25 AM

i am an asian and i dont want to live in a majority asian neighborhood.

but we like where there are asians or other minorities.

i think there's a big difference

Old 10-25-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Spoken like a true victim. And Judaism is a religion, not a skin color. There are white, black, and even Asian Jews.
if you are an ethiopian jew, you really couldnt pass on as white. im referring to the Bernie Sanders, George Soros types.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:16 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Typical.

So then you think it would be okay to bring back those restrictive covenants to mortgages that prevented blacks, Jews, Mexicans, Catholics etc from moving into white Anglo Saxon Protestant neighborhoods because "those people" just wouldn't fit in because of the "huge differences in cultural norms"?

This, exactly this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County