Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 09:38 AM

658 posts, read 1,554,378 times

Advertisements

I'm moving in a very short time, and I'd like to know any way possible to secure a room before I get down there. Will certainly save on hotel costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 09:58 AM

115 posts, read 227,761 times
That seems so risky. I have walked into places with a certain smell that made me decide "no" immediately. I looked at units nearby where, by photos I would have chosen the upstairs apt., but in person found the downstairs much cooler with more shade. Perhaps you could stay in one of the cheaper hotels like Travelodge, etc...at least for a week. Weekly rates are cheaper. That would give you at least time to drive around if you already have some focused places you want to look at. Which city are you focused on again? There are some cute apartments down the street from me near CSUF. You should easily be able to find rooms for rent also next to any colleges.
Good luck...

Old 09-06-2013, 10:37 AM

823 posts, read 1,785,316 times
You're actually making the move, eh? 'bout time, brother. I would wait til you get here. I'm sure you can secure a rental, but at least for the apt I managed, the landlord required each adult to see the unit to make sure they like it and won't back out. Like the other poster said, you want to see it for yourself too. Something on paper and pictures posted online aren't always the way things are in real life--I didn't even think of the smell of the unit, but shanove is right. You don't know about cig smells, etc., unless you're there. You don't want to lock yourself into a lease you're going to regret.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanove View Post
That seems so risky. I have walked into places with a certain smell that made me decide "no" immediately. I looked at units nearby where, by photos I would have chosen the upstairs apt., but in person found the downstairs much cooler with more shade. Perhaps you could stay in one of the cheaper hotels like Travelodge, etc...at least for a week. Weekly rates are cheaper. That would give you at least time to drive around if you already have some focused places you want to look at. Which city are you focused on again? There are some cute apartments down the street from me near CSUF. You should easily be able to find rooms for rent also next to any colleges.
Good luck...
Quote:
Originally Posted by russlancea View Post
You're actually making the move, eh? 'bout time, brother. I would wait til you get here. I'm sure you can secure a rental, but at least for the apt I managed, the landlord required each adult to see the unit to make sure they like it and won't back out. Like the other poster said, you want to see it for yourself too. Something on paper and pictures posted online aren't always the way things are in real life--I didn't even think of the smell of the unit, but shanove is right. You don't know about cig smells, etc., unless you're there. You don't want to lock yourself into a lease you're going to regret.

Yea, you are both right. It sucks, but it's the best way. I really have to see the place first. Wise advice.

I can relate, I've seen places on Craigslist that looked great in pictures but was a craphole. Then others I've seen looked bad in pictures but was great. So it's no good to secure before seeing.

@russlancea, yeah, it's been in planning phase for a long time, but I finally set a date and I'm ready to move. I needed to meet a number of objectives first, and I have now met all those objectives. There were logistical issues as well (i.e. HOW to move) but I think I've decided on that one as well. I'd like to sell all my stuff and fly, but it's just too much hassle. I'm pretty sure I'm going to drive.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:15 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Wouldn't you want to see the place first? There are always cheaper options than hotels as far as short-term lodging goes.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Wouldn't you want to see the place first? There are always cheaper options than hotels as far as short-term lodging goes.
Yea? I didn't know, can you please tell me some of these ways? I only know about hotels option, but am VERY OPEN to hearing about other cheaper short term options!

Old 09-07-2013, 01:35 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times
airbnb.com is something to check out, as well as some apartment complexes will do a short term lease.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:56 PM

115 posts, read 227,761 times
or check:

Orange County Extended Stay Hotels | Extended Stay America

Old 09-08-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanove View Post
Thanks! Although the cheapest I saw there was $70/night which is equivalent to $2,100/month!!! (staying a week max - monthly cost is for reference only)

So that's not really an option, although if only for a few nights could be useful.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:39 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by certsevtxert View Post
I'm moving in a very short time, and I'd like to know any way possible to secure a room before I get down there. Will certainly save on hotel costs.
If you have the time and money, scope out a ton of apts online and fly down and check them out. That's what I did. Flew up to PDX, looked at 10 apartment complexes, came home, made my choice, called them up, and did everything online. Apartment secured. Strangely enough, the apartment I chose, I never saw. I only saw a different floorplan, but it was enough to know what they offered. I was also shown where the unit was, since I expressed interest in it. That was the case for many.

If you're looking more of a private rental (not from a management company), then I'd suggest moving here then looking. Lots of times, it's harder to visit those because people live in them still, and they may be gone the next day.

Good luck with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
View detailed profiles of: