U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2013, 08:29 PM

35 posts, read 40,185 times

Advertisements

Hey Group,

I need help and advice on this topic:

If I live out of state and drive my "out of state" car into California and am planning on living in California for the next couple of years, what must I do to be in compliance (i.e.: not getting fined in the first month of being in the state).

Based on the official CA website it appears that I'm required to complete two forms for REG 434 and have my vehicle inspected by the DMV and have a Smog test by a third party on top of that. It also looks like I would be required by law to have a California License Plate and Drivers License (plus in state auto insurance) before I even sign a lease for my first apartment. I'm assuming a lot of fees and costs are associated with completing this whole process as well.

In my home state of Pennsylvania, it is common place to see out of state license plates all the time from states across the country. Is California Unique in forcing individuals to change over to their car registration to their state? or is it common place to see out of state license plates in your state?

If what I said is true then my first few days in the state will be consumed by standing in line (for hours) at the local DMV and paying fees, instead of doing more productive things like looking for a job.

Are there anyways to get around these laws (delay of residency, etc..)?

Source below:

How To Register A Vehicle from Out-of-State (Nonresident Vehicle)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 12:58 AM

5,411 posts, read 7,447,692 times
Hey fellow Eagles fan! I lived in CA for two years (bought a condo) and don't remember that I had to have a CA license or tag first. I do remember that I had to take a TEST for the driver's license, though, even though I was a licensed driver in PA for a million years! What a pain in the butt that was. Not sure if that's still required.

I was just out there last week, and noticed that I hardly saw ANY out-of-state tags, so they must be pretty rigid about getting it done quickly.

Good luck with your move, wish I was going with ya!

Old 09-14-2013, 09:40 PM

2,791 posts, read 3,689,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles2013 View Post
Hey Group,

I need help and advice on this topic:

If I live out of state and drive my "out of state" car into California and am planning on living in California for the next couple of years, what must I do to be in compliance (i.e.: not getting fined in the first month of being in the state).

Based on the official CA website it appears that I'm required to complete two forms for REG 434 and have my vehicle inspected by the DMV and have a Smog test by a third party on top of that. It also looks like I would be required by law to have a California License Plate and Drivers License (plus in state auto insurance) before I even sign a lease for my first apartment. I'm assuming a lot of fees and costs are associated with completing this whole process as well.

In my home state of Pennsylvania, it is common place to see out of state license plates all the time from states across the country. Is California Unique in forcing individuals to change over to their car registration to their state? or is it common place to see out of state license plates in your state?

If what I said is true then my first few days in the state will be consumed by standing in line (for hours) at the local DMV and paying fees, instead of doing more productive things like looking for a job.

Are there anyways to get around these laws (delay of residency, etc..)?

Source below:

How To Register A Vehicle from Out-of-State (Nonresident Vehicle)

I doubt you'd need CA plates and DL to sign a lease. There's way too many people who live here and are from out of state and have out of state plates/DL's/insurance. And trust me, not everyone changes it over immediately. And if you do need all that, where in the world are you looking for apartments?!

From what I just read, you need your PA title, registration, fill out that form, maybe get a smog check (depends on the age of your car), and have the car inspected by someone at DMV.

No, CA is not unique that they require people to register their car in CA almost immediately. I just moved to OR and I had 30 days to register my car (or face possible fines). Maybe in PA, you see more because the states are so small and people typically work in one state, live in another? Whereas, in CA, you'd rarely see that unless you live on the state border.

Also, to avoid standing in line, make an appointment. Once you have a definite moving date, go online to the website, and make an appointment. Make it asap because some locations don't have appts for a few weeks out. I went to my local DMV, saw a line of about 50 people going out the door, saw another 20 people inside. I walked passed all of them, went to the appointment line with 2 people before me and was out of there within 20 mins.

Lastly, I doubt you'll get fined the first time you get pulled over. Especially if you tell them you're in the process of getting it done, need to get your title, etc. I was here (in OR) for about 2 weeks before I realized I needed my title. Well, my lienholder told me that it was going to take CA 21 days to get the title. I passed my 30 days long ago. Oh well. I can't do anything about it until I get my title. If I got pulled over, that's all I could say, "I'm waiting on CA to send me my title, until then, can't do anything". I didn't realize it was going to take 21 days. I figured my lienholder had possession of the title. Guess not.

Anyhow. Good luck. DMV can always suck. Figure out if you need a smog check. Take care of that (it's easy). I think the smog cert will be good for 90 days. Make an appt BEFORE you move to CA to get a license and/or register your car. Make sure you have all documentation and cash (cuz they only take cash/check) to get it registered. Make sure the appt is far enough out from the time you move, to get everything else done (smog, get your title, etc).

Old 09-15-2013, 01:03 AM

10,139 posts, read 16,129,344 times
How would they know how long you have been here? They can't even catch the MediCal fraudsters or illegals?

I have been here a month what's to say I am not just visiting. It's a global world and people do travel for business.

Seriouly though I plan on moving back here, if I find a good job, if not I may go back to CO. But I am glad I saw this thread because if I stay I will just say I just got here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County