Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 09:44 PM

239 posts, read 670,677 times

Advertisements

I did a quick google search on day car providers in northern OC. Some of the web sites have tuition rates and they range from 750/month and up for < 2 yrs old full time. This is extremely inexpensive compared to where i currently reside. Does anyone know if this is the going rate for "good" day cares? I don't need the absolute best but i'd prefer something above average. If these in the 750 range are not above avg, how much should i expect to pay for full time care 5 days a wk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 11:15 PM

823 posts, read 1,776,804 times
Is Westminster considered Northern OC? Kinda? Anyway, hope this helps. This is for my son's Christian preschool in Westminster, which I loove. Rates just went up this year, but I think it's still darn cheap for preschool. Child must be at least 2 year-olds.

5 days/week 6:30 AM - 6 PM: $150

This includes snack. You can pack a cold lunch or teachers will heat up lunch. There's also an outside catering service for hot meals if you want to order that. Junior-sized unches are like $4.30 each.

There's lots of playground play, indoor play, crafts, singing with hand-motions, and other age-appropriate tasks to help the young students develop their fine motor skills. It's part of a Christian church, so the kids get basic Christian teachings about God. They pray before eating. Kids as young as 2 also begin learning about the solar system, nature, animals, the alphabet, counting, days of the week, the weather, etc.

Teachers are very loving, firm, and attentive. My son started the day he turned 2 and a year later, he's counting to 20, knows his shapes, colors, most of the alphabet, and just wow, blows my mind at the things he's learning. They will even take kids in diapers and will help potty-train.

My son also goes to a public special ed. preschool for speech therapy, which turns out to be more like regular preschool, and the teacher has commented on how smart he is. Yes, he is a smart little boy, but I think the Christain preschool he's in has really taught him and his classmates a lot. He's amazing, but when I visit his school, I'm just wowed at the things his 3 year-old friends know. $150/week is a lot of money, but pretty reasonable for all you get.

What will you get for the $750 daycare? Babysitting? That's just too much money for babysitting, so I hope you can find a good preschool for that rate.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:51 AM

193 posts, read 308,696 times
What poor excuse for a parent puts their child in the hands of the low wage idiots found in daycare establishments?

Are you tired of them breathing or are they not abused enough at home?

When we both had to work we arranged our hours so one of us was always with our child.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:05 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,361,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfTheCars View Post
What poor excuse for a parent puts their child in the hands of the low wage idiots found in daycare establishments?

When we both had to work we arranged our hours so one of us was always with our child.

Its great that you and your wife have the ability, flexibility and financial means to arrange schedules in such way but not everyone has that flexibility, ability or the financial means to do as you do. Putting your kid in child care may be the only option for some families. Both parents need to work to make ends meet. And their respective jobs will/may not allow them to pick and chose their schedule. Using child care does not make one a bad parent.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:22 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,337,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Its great that you and your wife have the ability, flexibility and financial means to arrange schedules in such way but not everyone has that flexibility, ability or the financial means to do as you do. Putting your kid in child care may be the only option for some families. Both parents need to work to make ends meet. And their respective jobs will/may not allow them to pick and chose their schedule. Using child care does not make one a bad parent.
Agreed. Come on. It can be hard to make ends meet in Southern California and I wouldn't think to suggest a family with working parent(s) is doing there child a diservice by using daycare. It's the world we live in nowadays.

To the OP, yes that sounds like a reasonable and average-ish price. OC may be almost as expensive as NYC for housing, but not for daycare. Should be a refreshing change for you, along with the weather. Welcome!!!

Old 09-29-2013, 09:39 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,459,258 times
KinderCare and La Petite were $1200/month for a 1 year old, when we lived there 4 years ago. In the BayArea that same KinderCare service was $2200 a month.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfTheCars View Post

EZ for you to say. There are families who can make that arrangement, but many families rely on daycare, preschool or a babysitter to work. There are "low-wage idiots" out there caring for kids, but there are a lot of great schools out there.

My son's preschool staff is required to have some training in child development and care, even the class aides. All the teachers have some college certification/degree. They are teachers, preparing 2-4 year-olds for today's demanding kindergarten classes.

I work F/T from home now and even if I could have my son at home, I wouldn't. Kids these days benefit greatly from being in a classroom where they learn to listen, follow directions, play and share with others, etc. These are all skills needed in today's kindergarten where they will learn to add single digits, read, memorize words and sentences, etc. Actually, ask a kindergarten teacher what skills are most important for pre-K students--it's sitting and listening.

Yes, there are daycare facilities that are more like babysitting and for that, I think it's almost a waste of time and money if they are not also teaching and preparing kids for kindergarten. Daycare is expensive!

My friends who live in Torrance pay about $1000/month for each of their soon-to-be 2 year-old twins to be in some sort of daycare/preschool place. Yikes!

Old 09-30-2013, 11:22 AM

239 posts, read 670,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russlancea View Post
EZ for you to say. There are families who can make that arrangement, but many families rely on daycare, preschool or a babysitter to work. There are "low-wage idiots" out there caring for kids, but there are a lot of great schools out there.

My son's preschool staff is required to have some training in child development and care, even the class aides. All the teachers have some college certification/degree. They are teachers, preparing 2-4 year-olds for today's demanding kindergarten classes.

I work F/T from home now and even if I could have my son at home, I wouldn't. Kids these days benefit greatly from being in a classroom where they learn to listen, follow directions, play and share with others, etc. These are all skills needed in today's kindergarten where they will learn to add single digits, read, memorize words and sentences, etc. Actually, ask a kindergarten teacher what skills are most important for pre-K students--it's sitting and listening.

Yes, there are daycare facilities that are more like babysitting and for that, I think it's almost a waste of time and money if they are not also teaching and preparing kids for kindergarten. Daycare is expensive!

My friends who live in Torrance pay about $1000/month for each of their soon-to-be 2 year-old twins to be in some sort of daycare/preschool place. Yikes!
even $1,000 is good! good to know that at least is somewhat affordable compared to here.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:58 PM

I didn't realize how good I had it until my husband told me how much his co-workers pay for the twins' care.

For $1200/month, I can get F/T preschool for my son (he's only going 3 days now, though) and private elementary schooling for my daughter (that's $500/month). Her 2nd grade class has just 13 students, compared to 30-35 students at public schools. No, her classroom does not have a Smart Board and none of the kids get their own iPad

Old 09-30-2013, 04:28 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,903,457 times
How do people manage to get by these days? I doubt there are many young couples who can afford to spend $1200 or more per month just for day care,, unless they live in their cars or with their parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County