Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2013, 02:19 PM

31 posts, read 104,999 times

Advertisements

Spouse works in Irvine near Santa Ana and we are planning to buy a home and relocate there, then I will start looking for a job.

We are focusing on areas near the 5 so we can both commute easily. I work in healthcare so hopefully can find something w/ an easy commute. So 1) Tustin Ranch 2) Mission Viejo 3) Lake Forest
What are your thoughts on these areas? Foot Hills Ranch is nice but seems to be too far east, Ladera Ranch we really like but almost too far south.

What are your thoughts on Tustin Unified vs. Saddleback Unified vs. Capistrano Unified? Per API scores, Tustin seems to have more schools >900, but Saddleback and Capistrano are only a tad lower, if any. We definitely need a good elementary but would be great to have a home with great schools through HS just in case we stay long-term.

For homes in Mission Viejo, what are your experiences with Del Cerro Elementary,La Paz Intermediate School and Mission Viejo High School ? Definitely want our kids to be well-prepared for college, be well-rounded, and of course happy.

Also looked into Irvine Unified and they definitely have the best scores and reputation, but from those of you with experience, do you think that may create unecessary pressure and competitiveness? My friend was telling me that one year at Irvine HS something like 4 kids scored perfect on their SATs. I wonder if it's healthy competition, well-rounded, or more parent-driven pressure?

Lots of questions, your thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 09:36 PM

56 posts, read 104,248 times
We live in Lake Forest and are part of the Saddleback Unified District. The area we live is very close to the 5 and 405 freeways. My husband works in the healthcare field as well and commutes to Orange. His commute has been pretty easy, but he leaves at 7am.

We have been very happy with our kids elementary, Rancho Canada. The Junior High (Serrano) and High school (El Toro) they will attend have very good reputations, as well as good test scores.

I can't really comment on Irvine or Tustin schools, other than that Irvine's scores are pretty high. We actually moved here a year ago and decided against Irvine because we had heard the schools were very competitive. While that's not a bad thing, we just wanted our kids to really enjoy school and foster a love for learning, not have that extra pressure to be "the best".

Saddleback offers many extra-curricular activities such as music, Art Masters program, Chess club, Science club, etc. Our kids play soccer and do Cub scouts and have made a lot of friends in the short time we've lived here. Lake Forest also appealed to us, because of the landscape, lots of trees and hills and it has a smaller town feel. The people here have been very friendly and down to earth. We have friends that live in Irvine and they love it and have been happy with the schools their children attend. You certainly can't go wrong with Irvine or Tustin, it's just a matter of preference.

In reference to you working in healthcare (you didn't say what you do) but there are quite a few hospitals and medical offices in the area, where the commute time wouldn't be bad. Hope I've helped a little. I was in the same boat as you a year ago and it was at times very nervewracking trying to make the best decision for our family. We just researched online (this site was very helpful) as much as we could and also visited the area a few times. Best wishes on your move!

Old 10-21-2013, 05:43 PM

6 posts, read 14,087 times
La Paz and MVHS are both excellent schools.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:38 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,796 times
Irvine schools are indeed super-competitive, but Tustin schools are also top-notch, and it's right next to Irvine!

Old 10-22-2013, 07:13 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,183,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleoneo View Post
Spouse works in Irvine near Santa Ana and we are planning to buy a home and relocate there, then I will start looking for a job.

We are focusing on areas near the 5 so we can both commute easily. I work in healthcare so hopefully can find something w/ an easy commute. So 1) Tustin Ranch 2) Mission Viejo 3) Lake Forest
What are your thoughts on these areas? Foot Hills Ranch is nice but seems to be too far east, Ladera Ranch we really like but almost too far south.

What are your thoughts on Tustin Unified vs. Saddleback Unified vs. Capistrano Unified? Per API scores, Tustin seems to have more schools >900, but Saddleback and Capistrano are only a tad lower, if any. We definitely need a good elementary but would be great to have a home with great schools through HS just in case we stay long-term.

For homes in Mission Viejo, what are your experiences with Del Cerro Elementary,La Paz Intermediate School and Mission Viejo High School ? Definitely want our kids to be well-prepared for college, be well-rounded, and of course happy.

Also looked into Irvine Unified and they definitely have the best scores and reputation, but from those of you with experience, do you think that may create unecessary pressure and competitiveness? My friend was telling me that one year at Irvine HS something like 4 kids scored perfect on their SATs. I wonder if it's healthy competition, well-rounded, or more parent-driven pressure?

Lots of questions, your thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Have you considered demographics?

About 40% of the Irvine district is Asian and 38% white.
Saddleback is 60% white
Capistrano is 65% white
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County