Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 11:02 AM

16 posts, read 387,020 times

Advertisements

I would like to get a general idea of what my expenses will be in OC when I move there next spring/summer. What is the average monthly electric/gas/water bill/s for a two bedroom apartment with three people?

What about weekly grocery bills, if I don't buy name brand/organic/yuppie-type food? I pay about $100/week in Austin, TX now for myself and two young boys; should I assume double that? 1.5 times that? I realize food is quite variable according to the quality one wants, but I am just looking for a general idea. I don't buy high-end at all; I buy store brand stuff, not organic, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 11:07 AM

1,539 posts, read 3,190,176 times
Default Not recommended

All I can tell you is, be prepared to pay more for everything ( groceries included). Period. Gas and housing especially also. Hope it's worth it to you! I'm trying to get the heck out of dodge!
Good luck to you !

Old 11-18-2007, 11:31 AM

Sigh...... yes, I realize things will be more expensive. I have already researched the housing cost, and now I am trying to get a serious estimate on other expenses for the purpose of budget planning. Thanks for your comment.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:33 AM

1,539 posts, read 3,190,176 times
I just noticed you're in Austin. We're seriously considering moving to Dallas. Any suggestions/help/input ????
'
I can help you with Orange County. Been here almost a year.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:28 PM

264 posts, read 397,637 times
Your electricty costs will probably be $100 a month minimum...depends if you have a clothes dryer and if you want to use the heat, the oven, or the air conditioner much.

Electicity rates have soared the past couple years. Grocery bills will probably be more than in Austin...meats are expensive as are fresh fruits.

If you get a Costco membership or want to pick up some stuff at Wal-Mart, you can save some pennies, but overall EVERYTHING is more expensive in OC.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:54 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
I'm not so sure everything will be more expensive. Housing, yes. Gas, yes. Food, I doubt it. Utilities, probably not per kilowatt-hour or therm. Less A/C and heating too.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:54 PM

895 posts, read 4,248,192 times
I have to agree with everyone on the costs of food. I knew things would be more expensive when I moved here but I actually cried during my first shopping outing. In Florida, I spent about $200/week for my family of 6 and now I spend more than $300/wk. The quality of food is below that on the east coast. I did find that buying in bulk from Costco helped but my kids don't like too much from there. Meat, poultry and fish from there is a bargain. Our water bill is roughly $35/mo. Gas is $40/mo. and electricity is $200/mo. We live in a 2600 sq. ft. house. I can tell you this-- our monthly bills for the above are much less than we paid in Florida! Good Luck. No matter how much you budget--it will change as soon as you move!

Old 11-18-2007, 08:05 PM

Well, I'm slightly heartened. 50% more a week for food seems fairly reasonable, and what you say are your utility bills are not much more than what I pay now. I live in a 1200 sq. ft. house and pay an average of $120 for electricity monthly. (And congrats on being able to live at all in a 2600 sq. ft. house in OC!!!)

And Charles is right, I won't be paying for 10 months of constant A/C and 2 months of heat. In fact, after Austin, I will probably be able to forgo both all year in Southern California! :-)

By the way, what are gas prices right now out there? In Austin, 87 unleaded has been hovering at $2.99 for a while now.

Anyone else want to volunteer their average utility costs?

Old 11-18-2007, 08:32 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,390,135 times
Eh. From what I can tell the biggest increased expense is housing. The lowered utility bills b/c of less heating/air likely offsets the other costs. California housing IS expensive (although Orange County is a relative bargain by California standards). Otherwise, it's pretty much like everyone else.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:20 PM

683 posts, read 4,616,056 times
I'm not sure how your electric bill would get to "at least $100 a month." I lived in a 2 bedroom with 3 and sometimes for people for 3 years, and never paid more than $30 (in total, not per person). Don't leave all your lights on when you're not using them, and don't stick one thing in the dryer at a time. You should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County