Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 11:57 AM

158 posts, read 600,889 times

Advertisements

Young couple with one child looking at NorCal, but considering SoCal too. I was completely turned off to the overinflated, socialite infested LA metro, but I never thought about OC, I honestly though it'd be more expensive. Buying a house is not important for a long time, we don't go out and party and don't need a tremendous night life, but we do want safety for ourselves and our child. I am a musician and do desire to find other musicians, and we really don't need a lot.

We do however want nice weather, that palm tree beauty, and lots of options for things to do on the weekends. We can adjust to cost of living but we'd prefer to not spend too far over $1500 monthly on an apartment. I've heard Huntington Beach is incredible.

Any thoughts, or should we stick to NorCal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 04:08 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,353,738 times
Laguna Beach, Laguna Hills, and Laguna Niguel

Check these out.
orange county craigslist > apts/housing for rent: search for "laguna"

Aliso Viejo
orange county craigslist > apts/housing for rent: search for "aliso viejo"

Irvine
orange county craigslist > apts/housing for rent: search for "irvine"

Mission Viejo

San Juan Capistrano

San Clemente

Those are the safest cities with the best schools in the OC. Pretty much everything in the southern part of the county.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:53 PM

Thank you for the insight! We're looking at all of those places as I type this. We've always heard of how safe Irvine is, and it seems affordable for us for the most part in a lot of places. Does California law state that two adults and a child MUST get a 2 bedroom? A one bedroom sure would be cheaper.

How's the job market in Irvine and the vicinity? Being close to LA, I figured I could work in LA if I had to, but the commute would be legendarily horrible, I assume.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:00 PM

Nope. No laws. I just thought you would want more room, but if you can handle a 1 bed, it would save tons of money and you could probably get a nicer area. The job market in OC is pretty good, but I don't know how it is for musicians. Most jobs and corporations are in northern OC, like Fullerton, Anaheim, Orange, Santa Ana, etc. Is that the career you are looking into? If not, what is it? If it is, one suggestion could be to become a music teacher because there are many rich children in the OC so their parents can afford music lessons for them. You may want to check that out if you want your career to be in the music industry.

Personally, my favorite of those areas in Mission Viejo. Irvine has the best proximity to LA, so if you expect to travel into Los Angeles County a lot, I would suggest Irvine, one of the Lagunas, and Aliso Viejo and stay away from southern OC because the drive will be horrible from down there.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:36 PM

Well, we were hoping to get a one bedroom because that would really help us out being transplants. Professionally, I'm in college for an IT degree and I work in telecommunications right now. I have experience doing marketing/sales, customer service, and a lot of computer or technology related experience. I can adapt, I'm not worried at all about it.

It is great again to know that we can opt for a one bedroom. We'd be better off that way and save some money, that's such great news that it's helping us solidify our decision that much more. Thank you so much.

Think I could find work out there?

Old 11-11-2007, 05:42 PM

3,272 posts, read 3,936,009 times
I work for Verizon Wireless, we're always hiring.

Verizon Wireless - Careers

Old 11-11-2007, 06:09 PM

OMG YES!!! There is no where else in the country where you have such a good mix of tech, customer service, and sales. If you went into customer service, you could live pretty much anywhere.

Mission Viejo would be my number one choice.
orange county craigslist > apts/housing for rent: search for "mission viejo"

Then Brea.
orange county craigslist > apts/housing for rent: search for "brea"

Old 11-11-2007, 07:42 PM

What do you do for Verizon Wireless ysr_racer?

And jesse, if that is the case, then maybe I've finally decided where I personally want to go. I've always had the dream, and now I have most all the information that I need. I've always been good at adapting to current markets wherever I went, and I'm hoping I'll do well for myself out there as well.

On a side note, I'm an aspiring writer and screenwriter. ;P

Old 11-11-2007, 07:48 PM

Well good luck with writing . The writers in LA and NYC are currently on strike and may be for a while.

The thing I like about Mission Viejo is that it is a city filled with tons of rolling hills covered in homes. I love living on hills. If that is not your thing, don't choose Mission Viejo. If you like flatter terrain, you might want to try Dana Point or San Juan Capistrano.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:06 PM

Nah, rolling hills are beautiful to us, and it's very safe too from what I hear. That's important for our child. We just want a good proximity to the stores we utilize and whatnot, that's all that's big for us. No nightlife, partying, huge, big scene is necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County