Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 07:24 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,003,171 times

Advertisements

Newport Beach is essentially broken up into very distinct areas. Corona Del Mar is one of the.
You will love corona del mar. Nice Homes, and nice little village area that can keep you entertained during the week. Also very close to Fashion Island.

You will be also be close to Laguna Beach.

If you are late night people you will have to adapt to the fact that most of Orange County pretty much shuts down after 11pm on weekends and 9 pm weekdays.

I am also a NY transplant (albiet Long Island and Poughkeepsie). Never had a problem adapting and havent had to look back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 11:10 AM

371 posts, read 815,853 times
Working in Newport Center/Fashion Island, you will be close to several places that will fit your needs.

Corona Del Mar is an obvious option. It is very close and has a good restaurant scene (walkable too) and is on the beach. Although if you are looking for a good outdoor area, you should note that most houses in CDM don't have real yards, more like patios. But, if you are just looking for a space to put a grill and some patio furniture, you should be fine. The houses are pretty densely spaced in CDM. Kids in CDM go to Harbor View Elementary and Corona Del Mar High School, both are highly rated.

If you want more space, you should check out Newport Coast. Its more isolated (nothing walking distance), but is more exclusive and private. Most houses sit behind guard gates and are new, larger and have yards. Its also up on a hill above the ocean, so is not walkable to the beach like CDM is, but most houses have ocean views. Kids in Newport Coast go to Newport Coast Elementary, and Corona Del Mar High School. Both are excellent.

You might also want to check out Big Canyon, an exclusive community built around a golf course that is adjacent to Newport Center. The lots and houses are bigger, and they have lots of amenities (pool, country club, golf course etc...). It's also not walkable, and is further from the beach. The kids there go to Lincoln Elementary School and CDM High School, both excellent.

Newport Beach (which CDM is a part of) has a great restaurant scene for a suburban area.

Here are rental listings for Newport Coast showing prices from $6,000 a month up to over $20,000, so it looks like you could find something in your budget.Homes for Rent in Newport Coast, CA | Homes.com

Here is a map of elementary school boundaries for Newport Beach: http://nmusd.ca.schoolloop.com/file/...3434956182.pdf

Old 11-07-2013, 12:53 PM

484 posts, read 822,070 times
Prepare to reduce your expectations regarding restaurants in OC. Yes, there are few "fine" dining places, especially around Newport, but you're going to find that chains predominant the scene. You're also not going to find new or exciting places opening up very often in OC. You'll need to go to LA to get something more sophisticated.

Hope you enjoy Pimco!

Old 11-12-2013, 12:13 AM

108 posts, read 290,711 times
Corona del Mar is very nice, comparable with Newport. But Newport has more, and better, restaurants. Probably same with shopping too. Can't comment on the school districts, but both would be excellent I would think.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:59 AM

55 posts, read 122,562 times
Corona Del Mar is a nice place, but right next to Newport Coast is Irvine, and it has the finest public schools in the area. And it's always in the top 3 for the safest city, and usually #1 for the best city for women.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:18 PM

21 posts, read 40,992 times
I make the same as you, plus my wife works and brings in an extra 100K..so about 600K/yr total. We used to have a condo in Newport Coast. After we had our daughter, we looked around and it was depressing regarding how much homes in the newport/cdm area were going for. For 2 million you don't get a heck of a lot. So we moved out to Ladera Ranch and love it. The house you can get in Covenant Hills is amazing. It's not for everyone, but if you have kids you can't beat it.

It's funny a lot of people can't understand how 500k/yr is not rich, and even I thought that when I was younger. But taxes and especially the AMT absolutely decimates income earners like you and me.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:19 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalmd123 View Post
I make the same as you, plus my wife works and brings in an extra 100K..so about 600K/yr total. We used to have a condo in Newport Coast. After we had our daughter, we looked around and it was depressing regarding how much homes in the newport/cdm area were going for. For 2 million you don't get a heck of a lot. So we moved out to Ladera Ranch and love it. The house you can get in Covenant Hills is amazing. It's not for everyone, but if you have kids you can't beat it.

It's funny a lot of people can't understand how500k/yr is not rich, and even I thought that when I was younger. But taxes and especially the AMT absolutely decimates income earners like you and me.
That really depends on if the guy you are addressing is a guy behind the counter at Burger King or Bill Gates.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:55 AM

46 posts, read 82,032 times
Newport Beach area is quite a good place with the basic necessities available together with restaurants, wine shops, school etc. Also as you mentioned the place of your office nearby it will save a lot on your transport. As you rent your house there it will be a wise idea to buy your own after a time gap and you can build up your asset. Yes certain time for a change you can move on to LA but you will find Newport area much wise.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:31 PM

43 posts, read 65,499 times
Default Whaaa

Quote:
i make the same as you, plus my wife works and brings in an extra 100k..so about 600k/yr total. We used to have a condo in newport coast. After we had our daughter, we looked around and it was depressing regarding how much homes in the newport/cdm area were going for. For 2 million you don't get a heck of a lot. So we moved out to ladera ranch and love it. The house you can get in covenant hills is amazing. It's not for everyone, but if you have kids you can't beat it.

It's funny a lot of people can't understand how 500k/yr is not rich, and even i thought that when i was younger. But taxes and especially the amt absolutely decimates income earners like you and me.

rofl

Old 11-17-2013, 12:56 AM

4 posts, read 7,085 times
Quote:

It's funny a lot of people can't understand how 500k/yr is not rich, and even I thought that when I was younger. But taxes and especially the AMT absolutely decimates income earners like you and me.
This guy's post says it all about the beach cities. In NY you can pull 500k and be just another IBD VP/PE Associate who eats at the same restaurants as every other hungry yuppie. In OC that puts you at the top of the heap and in close proximity to jealous losers like Mr. Plastic Surgeon/dermatologist above.

I think you want to live in Turtle Ridge. Gated community, expensive houses and well-to-do midcareer professionals, but with many young children and a strong sense of community. 10-15 minute drive to the restaurants and beaches; 5 minutes to the grocery stores near UC Irvine; aligned to University High School (best public school in the country, or top 5-10 at the very least.)

Newport beach tends to be a lot of divorcees and biglaw partner + trophy wife combos. I had never seen so many 50-yr old men walking around with 3 yr old kids until my wife and I started going to fashion island for date night. Coming from lower Manhattan you will be in for a very big change of scenery.

Corona Del Mar wouldn't be a bad option though, but open space will be hard to come by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County