Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 02:26 PM

64 posts, read 67,034 times

Advertisements

HI there I am a single Male professional late 30s. I've finally decided I am tired of South Florida and I need the move to a more liberal Southern California. I'm flying in late January through early February for a couple of weeks. Staying in both Costa Mesa and Buena Park. I'd like some general advice but also have some questions:

- Where would I explore areas to live in where the rent is inexpensive and a lot of young people are around...with public transportation or an easier commute within OC?

- Which of the above areas allow for an easy commute into downtown LA from OC?

- Are there any walkable communities or am I stuck to my car?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 05:03 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
Lots of walkable communities (neighborhoods in: Seal Beach, Huntington Beach, Restfuller, parts of Brea, Orange, Newport Beach) but you will need a car.

I rode a bike my first year here, but eventually gave in a bought a car.

Live close to a freeway if you plan on commuting to LA. Cities such as Buena Park, Cerritos,Cypress, LaHabra, Los Alamitos maybe Fullerton are your best bets.

Younger crowds are in Fullerton, Huntington Beach, Costa Mesa

Cheaper rents (without going into ratty area)s are in Huntington Beach, Costa Mesa

Old 01-05-2014, 12:22 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,170,652 times
Downtown Fullerton is very walkable and it has a train station for a relatively painless commute to downtown LA.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:43 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
...and SoCal isn't exactly a bastion of liberalism. Huntington Beach/Costa Mesa keep reelecting one of the worse and sleaziest members of congress (Dana Rohrabacher)

Old 01-06-2014, 09:27 AM

Fullerton sounds interesting because I don't want to commute. I don't really have connections in SoCal at the moment so I am building something slowly. It would be nice if a law degree was more easily transferred to another state. So, I am an attorney in FL looking to change careers in SoCal. So - I am an open book, a sponge absorbing information!

Old 01-06-2014, 12:13 PM

46 posts, read 131,188 times
OC is not liberal, it's the most conservative county in CA isn't it? Try San Diego. More hip down there anyway

Old 01-06-2014, 04:10 PM

542 posts, read 1,549,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader33 View Post
OC is not liberal, it's the most conservative county in CA isn't it?
Don't know if it's the most conservative, but it's gotta be fairly high up on the list. A big part of the reason I live in OC! Before we bail out of this crazy state entirely, anyway.

If OP plans to commute into downtown LA, I would think they'd want to live somewhere closer, in LA county at least. That way they could have a better commute, with the bonus of being around more like-minded people (if that's what OP is looking for, which it sounds like they are to me).

Old 01-07-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie Girl View Post
Don't know if it's the most conservative, but it's gotta be fairly high up on the list. A big part of the reason I live in OC! Before we bail out of this crazy state entirely, anyway.

If OP plans to commute into downtown LA, I would think they'd want to live somewhere closer, in LA county at least. That way they could have a better commute, with the bonus of being around more like-minded people (if that's what OP is looking for, which it sounds like they are to me).

Well, I can't really determine where I will be as I am looking for jobs. Right now I am gathering as much info as possible so I can make the right choice. Yes, I am liberal, and I understand OC has wonderful little bastions of liberalism in Costa, Huntington, Orange and Fullerton. Correct?

Old 01-07-2014, 07:15 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingLar View Post
Well, I can't really determine where I will be as I am looking for jobs. Right now I am gathering as much info as possible so I can make the right choice. Yes, I am liberal, and I understand OC has wonderful little bastions of liberalism in Costa, Huntington, Orange and Fullerton. Correct?
Orange and Huntington Beach are ranked as some of America's most conservative cities.
Study Ranks America's Most Liberal and Conservative Cities | content content from American City & County

Costa Mesa and Fullerton have never struck me as being especially liberal either.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:18 PM

521 posts, read 733,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Van Fossen View Post
Downtown Fullerton is very walkable and it has a train station for a relatively painless commute to downtown LA.

I agree. Downtown Fullerton is a fun area with the train right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County