Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 05:26 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times

Advertisements

I missed everything except the traffic, but since I no longer commute to work that is seldom an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 07:03 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Here is a list of things I missed about California... please share what you missed about California.
Dressing casually almost everywhere.
Being able to plan things without worrying about "weather permitting."
Year-round greenery.
Having so many micro-climates and geo elevations within driving distance.
The awe from foreign visitors who are star-struck about California.
Having so many big cities in the same state that are so different from each other.

Last edited by nightlysparrow; 01-07-2014 at 07:11 PM..

Old 01-07-2014, 07:18 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
wow, checking the OPs/observations, I have to wonder where in NOVA he/she lived.

How about starting a thread about what you liked living on the east coast, like our country's history for starters?
S. Arlington and also in DC NE. I'm a guy.

There is indeed "history" on the east coast that one cannot find here. And places like Charleston, South Carolina are very charming, I have to admit. (Too bad it has lousy weather, that is a nice place.) However, some much hyped things with all this "history" were quite underwhelming, e.g. liberty bell in Philly. And truth be told, both sides of the ocean in the new world are pretty "new" (to us) and lack the history of the old world. For history, I travel (at least once a year) to Europe. I have been to China. Now THERE is some history. When Egypt settles...ok, you get the point.

Do not think I am not a patriot because I am. I love my country. I just happen to love the west coast far more than the East.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Pizza sucks in OC, though. I think any random town in North Jersey has better pizza options than the entirety of OC.

Bagels are pretty bad, too.

But, generally speaking, everything else is at least decent.
I will agree on pizza and raise you a calzone (spinach, please). Bagels? Well ok, but I recently learned how to make them at home. They are cheap, very easy to make and much tastier than store bought. Just sayin'.

How is New Jersey on making taquitos? Do you guys smother them in guacamole and cheese on top too?

Old 01-07-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candicem View Post
I LOVE spring, fall and winter here. I love snow and beautiful fall colors and the cherry blossoms. I do hate summer here. It's way too hot and humid. I hate all the bugs and wasps/hornets everywhere.

I also loved the three weeks of Spring. Fall too, the five weeks it was around, was great. Sandwiched between these two very short and pleasant seasons was that miserable 7 month period called summer.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:44 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,421,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
How is New Jersey on making taquitos? Do you guys smother them in guacamole and cheese on top too?
I lived in NYC, but NJ is basically the same for food strengths/weakness.

The Mexican food you see in Southern California likely isn't as common in New Jersey, though the Mexican population is exploding in size in the NYC metro area, so it's probably improving somewhat.

When I lived in Manhattan, if you went to the Outer Boroughs you could find very good Mexican, but only in Mexican neighborhoods. It wasn't everywhere like around here in CA.

But I live in South County now, and am happy with the local food scene here. Pizza and bagels aren't really that bad in OC compared to other parts of the country, but I admit I miss these two food items from Back East.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:34 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
I lived in NYC... But I live in South County now, and am happy with the local food scene here. Pizza and bagels aren't really that bad in OC compared to other parts of the country, but I admit I miss these two food items from Back East.

Have you tried Sonny's Pizza in San Clemente yet?

Old 01-08-2014, 06:10 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Beside friends and family left behind, I miss:

Being within a 3 hour drive of Lake Tahoe (now have to fly to Reno and rent a car)

The longer growing season for the vegetable garden

Hmmm, can't think of anything else.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:07 AM

57 posts, read 94,165 times
Quote:
I lived in NYC, but NJ is basically the same for food strengths/weakness.

The Mexican food you see in Southern California likely isn't as common in New Jersey, though the Mexican population is exploding in size in the NYC metro area, so it's probably improving somewhat.

When I lived in Manhattan, if you went to the Outer Boroughs you could find very good Mexican, but only in Mexican neighborhoods. It wasn't everywhere like around here in CA.

But I live in South County now, and am happy with the local food scene here. Pizza and bagels aren't really that bad in OC compared to other parts of the country, but I admit I miss these two food items from Back East.
NY/NJ pizza and bagels - its all in the water!

Old 01-08-2014, 11:28 AM

2,131 posts, read 4,914,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc919 View Post
I couldn't believe my eyes when on a recent trip to the west coast I saw signs that said "10 avocados for $1"! Indeed, its a rip-off here in the east coast. I know there are transportation costs to cover, but c'mon!

Where did you find $.10 avocados? The best deal I've seen in recent years is $.50 for a medium sized avocado. They usually go for about a buck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County