Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 11:34 AM

1,083 posts, read 2,170,176 times

Advertisements

Your criteria leaves it pretty open to a lot of possibilities. Is there a particular reason you're not interested in Irvine? That might help eliminate some other suggestions.

Coastal: Dana Point, Huntington, San Clemente (Newport and Laguna are good options too, but what you're looking for may be over budget in those areas)

South OC: Aliso Viejo, Laguna Niguel, Ladera Ranch, Mission Viejo, Laguna Hills

Central/North OC: Orange, Fullerton, Yorba Linda, Anaheim Hills

Personally, I'd probably move either into a 1920s Spanish Villa or mid-century modern (and renovate) in Orange or Fullerton with that budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 11:38 AM

3,244 posts, read 6,298,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcellamiami View Post
If you could live anywhere between Los Angeles and San Diego where would it be? Has to have:
great high school and middle school
great safe community feel
a budget of $1.5 million or less to buy a single family house
at least 2000 square feet
not Irvine
not too far from civilization
hopefully a good investment
For these requirements my first choice would be somewhere in the Tustin Hills, places like Cowan Heights or Lemon Heights. I would also consider Villa Park or Yorba Linda.

For great schools, a good community feel and a very convenient location I would look at Los Alamitos and Cypress. Huntington Harbor is also a possibilty.

I personally would avoid almost anywhere in south Orange County - too Irvine like with their overly planned development. I would also avoid beach areas like Newport Beach or Laguna Beach unless you do not mind living in a traffic jam every summer weekend.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:12 PM

224 posts, read 495,308 times
loveorangecounty-- tell me what you know/experienced about san juan hills vs. tesoro. i hear this all the time and am curious to hear more.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:03 PM

521 posts, read 733,191 times
Huntington Harbor would be nice like previous poster said. I lived in San Clemente for 5 years and loved it. Not too much fog there which bothered me since I love the marine layer. The commute from Irvine was 30-45 but worth it since it's so nice living at the beach. Don't need air conditioning, lots to do. But Villa Park and Tustin can be very nice as well. I'm always a proponent of beach cities personally since I love the beach and they are just fun areas. But you will have the traffic during summer. Just depends what you are looking for. All the cities you mentioned are very nice.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:24 PM

63 posts, read 230,299 times
Thank you for your reply. I am not familiar with fog or the problems it brings. No fog at all in Miami. I have 2 friends in Ladera Ranch and they love it too. I just had the idea that Ladera Ranch was far from everything but I will definitely take a look there. Thanks again. Any more opinions or advise is welcome please. It helps me to get a better picture.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:28 PM

63 posts, read 230,299 times
Thanks for all the suggestions. Having wide open options may sound great but it can also make it an overwhelming choice to make for our future and our family.

I'm not interested in Irvine because of the small lots and it just doesn't seem appealing to me. Planned community just turns me off but maybe I am just not used to it and have to open myself to new possibilities.

I had heard about Orange but the middle school is not great.
Yorba Linda and Fullerton seem too inland but it's worth a visit.
Isn't the weather much more pleasant in the coastal cities?
Los Alamitos look nice and the schools are good too. I will have to look there when I go.
Huntington Harbor may be more "Miami Like" being closer to the water which may be an easier transition for my girls but why do I hear mixed reviews about Huntington Beach?

I guess I prefer coastal cities not so much for the beach which is nice but mostly for the weather.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:35 PM

805 posts, read 1,558,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
For these requirements my first choice would be somewhere in the Tustin Hills, places like Cowan Heights or Lemon Heights. I would also consider Villa Park or Yorba Linda.

For great schools, a good community feel and a very convenient location I would look at Los Alamitos and Cypress. Huntington Harbor is also a possibilty.

I personally would avoid almost anywhere in south Orange County - too Irvine like with their overly planned development. I would also avoid beach areas like Newport Beach or Laguna Beach unless you do not mind living in a traffic jam every summer weekend.
You beat me to it!

Old 01-21-2014, 07:31 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,298,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcellamiami View Post
why do I hear mixed reviews about Huntington Beach?
Huntington Beach has a population of 195K. There are some great areas and some not so great areas.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:09 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
Here are mine:

San Clemente.
Laguna Niguel near Beacon Hill.
Oops I forgot, Nellie Gail Ranch, please raise to number one, thanks.

Some no one here seems interested in...

South Carlsbad in Aviara for 1.2 and use the rest of the 300K to pay off all other bills or save it.
A 3600 Sq ft luxury house in Fallbrook (with a pool obviously, as it is hot there) with 6 to 14 acres of fruit trees.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:50 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,238 times
In order of preference for me personally: Laguna Niguel or Dana Point [if housing budget/criteria works there], Carmel Valley (never fog, and 3 miles max to the beach! I've lived here in CV for the last 5 years), San Clemente, Carlsbad.

Carmel Valley is one of the top 3 districts in SD; apparently, their middle school is top in the state [My child is there right now, which is how I know this. Personally, I don't put full stock in the ratings, but it IS a good district, I do have to say. My point is that it's DEFINITELY a great investment to buy here in CV. They are building a second middle school as we speak; families continue to move into the area in droves-lol. It's also highly desirable for professionals and some who do not have children, due to its location/resort living/amenities. I don't see real estate here dropping anytime soon.

More info: It's a few miles to Del Mar village proper; CV itself has plenty of amenities and is a destination point in itself these days, with Del Mar Highlands Plaza, Cinepolis [first US based luxury theater location, for a South American theater chain], plus all the usual suspects: Banks, grocery stores, etc etc.
It's a few minutes to the 5/56/805 freeways, and about 10 miles north of La Jolla/UTC, which has Trader Joe's, Whole Foods [though Del Mar also has a WF now] and a large mall [UTC Westfield]. Not sure if that is what you mean by not too far from civilization.

You'll find a very nice and likely larger than 2000sq ft home in CV with your budget. Walking distance to the schools is also an option, neighborhood wise. It's not on the coast; it's a few miles inland-though older kids do take the back roads on their scooters to the beach in the summer.

I've written about a zillion posts on CD re: Carmel Valley, so if you want to research back posts, you'll get lots more info. I personally love Laguna Beach, so that is why I put Laguna Niguel first [it's next door]. But from your post, I think you will really love CV area of San Diego. It truly is a great spot for children and families, but cosmopolitan enough and close enough to the urban amenities. The area adjacent to CV is called Torrey Hills; i'ts in the same school district and is also recommended when looking at real estate.

ps-IF you prefer houses with more character, check in Del Mar village and also Rancho Santa Fe (my impression is that your budget won't get you as much as in CV-though I"ve not looked recently at prices.) CV is suburbia with a bit of a cosmopolitan vibe, but the streets have wide, tree lined sidewalks, there are plenty of parks that are not crowded and it's very safe. I recommend giving it a good look, based on your criteria.
Elementary schools will fall in either Del Mar or Solana Beach school districts:
http://www.dmusd.org/site/default.aspx?PageID=1
http://www.sbsd.k12.ca.us/CC/
Middle/High School will be San Dieguito School District:
http://www.sduhsd.net/

Last edited by lrmsd; 01-21-2014 at 09:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County