Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2014, 11:08 AM

961 posts, read 2,565,681 times

Advertisements

Does anyone who has lived in Ventura county and OC have any input? The areas we are considering in OC are Dana Point (first choice), Laguna Nigel, Mission Viejo and possibly Aliso Viejo. In Ventura/Los Angeles county we are considering Westlake Village, Thousand Oaks, Oak Park, Agoura Hills and to a lesser degree, Calabasas. We honestly don't know which would be a better fit for us OC or Ventura county, as they both have pros and cons. We would love to hear observations from those who have lived in both. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Last edited by jaynetarzana; 02-10-2014 at 11:16 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 04:33 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,137,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynetarzana View Post
Does anyone who has lived in Ventura county and OC have any input? The areas we are considering in OC are Dana Point (first choice), Laguna Nigel, Mission Viejo and possibly Aliso Viejo. In Ventura/Los Angeles county we are considering Westlake Village, Thousand Oaks, Oak Park, Agoura Hills and to a lesser degree, Calabasas. We honestly don't know which would be a better fit for us OC or Ventura county, as they both have pros and cons. We would love to hear observations from those who have lived in both. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Quote:
The areas we are considering in OC are Dana Point (first choice), Laguna Nigel, Mission Viejo and possibly Aliso Viejo.
That's Laguna Niguel.

Reasons why OC is preferred:

• It can get terribly hot in Westlake Village in the summer as it sits in a valley! Average Weather for Westlake Village, CA - Temperature and Precipitation
  • Laguna Niguel/Mission Viejo have a conveniently located metrolink station whereas Westlake Village is further away from one, requiring a resident of Westlake Village to drive to west of Simi Valley. If you drive instead, Orange County, a wealthier county than either LA or Ventura, has invested in more freeway lanes and also has better roads. Last, a driving commuter need not go through mountains to get to LA.
  • Westlake Village is situated on the edge of a giant metropolitan area whereas OC is between two (or three, if one counts the IE) large metropolitan areas, or of you prefer to think of it as one giant area, OC is more in the center of that one large area. Westlake Village is commutable to LA and is closer to Santa Barbara, but it is relatively further away from more Southern California Attractions than is most of OC, e.g. Disneyland, Knotts, Sea World, San Diego, Palm Springs, etc.
  • Ventura is a fairly poor county whereas Orange County is not. Moreover, Orange County is second only to the Bay Area in job growth/recovery.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:10 PM

Thanks, LuvSouthOC. That typo is totally going to bug me now. Wish there was a way to fix it.

Clearly you are a bit biased when it comes to this question , so I will play devil's advocate so that we may continue the discussion.

DH has a second interview for a job in the Thousand Oaks area so his commute would be fantastic and no need for a train. He hasn't had less than a 3 hour round trip commute for over 10 years. We promised ourselves that this next move would be to increase our quality of life and that means a much shorter commute (ideally less than an hour round trip).

The summer temps are similar to where we live now and that doesn't bother us. In fact, we prefer the warmer temps if you happen to buy a house with a pool.

Traffic isn't nearly as congested in Ventura county so they don't really need extra lanes. Also, the chances are greater that the population in OC will increase before it does in Ventura county.

Proximity to attractions isn't a pro for us as we don't really visit those parks. Disneyland is kind of one of things you do once for each child when they are old enough to appreciate it and I don't mind driving a few hours to get there. And an abundance of attractions means loads of tourists, extra traffic and added pollution.

Not sure about the wealth of the counties, but prestige isn't a factor for us and we find less wealthy people are usually more down to earth. Also, the Thousand Oaks area has consistently been given top ratings for low crime.

The biggest con about the TO area vs. OC is the proximity to the ocean and the inability to see the ocean on a more regular basis. But we do love Zuma beach.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Thanks, LuvSouthOC. That typo is totally going to bug me now. Wish there was a way to fix it.

Clearly you are a bit biased when it comes to this question , so I will play devil's advocate so that we may continue the discussion.

DH has a second interview for a job in the Thousand Oaks area so his commute would be fantastic and no need for a train. He hasn't had less than a 3 hour round trip commute for over 10 years. We promised ourselves that this next move would be to increase our quality of life and that means a much shorter commute (ideally less than an hour round trip).

The summer temps are similar to where we live now and that doesn't bother us. In fact, we prefer the warmer temps if you happen to buy a house with a pool.

Traffic isn't nearly as congested in Ventura county so they don't really need extra lanes. Also, the chances are greater that the population in OC will increase before it does in Ventura county.

Proximity to attractions isn't a pro for us as we don't really visit those parks. Disneyland is kind of one of things you do once for each child when they are old enough to appreciate it and I don't mind driving a few hours to get there. And an abundance of attractions means loads of tourists, extra traffic and added pollution.

Not sure about the wealth of the counties, but prestige isn't a factor for us and we find less wealthy people are usually more down to earth. Also, the Thousand Oaks area has consistently been given top ratings for low crime.

The biggest con about the TO area vs. OC is the proximity to the ocean and the inability to see the ocean on a more regular basis. But we do love Zuma beach.
Home sick today...

I do not deny some bias, but I have tried to remain objective and wanted to just point out the obvious differences. It's fantastic that commuting would be short there and thus that clearly tips the balance, at least for your family, clearly in that direction. I think the bottom line is that the things that I wrote stand and although they may not impact you, they could impact resale to some degree. But in terms of livability, that area certainly has it too; it is not a bad place at all! I don't think that Agoura Hills will be in your price range, even less so for Calabasas. I don't know the prices in TO and the other place you mentioned ( I don't think I have been there). Generally, the places in Ventura will be a little cheaper and one may also (not sure) enjoy some lower taxes/fees. When I go to that area, it has been to go to the Agoura area, or to high tail it up to be closer to Oprah's mansion in SB.

Well, yeah, you'd be near the "Bu" and that is a good thing. Plus you can get down to west LA when you get the itch. Not too shabby.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:57 PM

Agoura Hills currently has more properties in our price range than Westlake Village (and they are really nice too!), but it wouldn't make too much sense to choose Agoura Hills if DH's job was in TO. Just keeping it on the radar as people have said the schools are excellent.

We love the Santa Monica area, especially for great vegan restaurants. So being within driving distance to that is a pro. However, there is an abundance of great vegan restaurants in OC as well, albeit more spread out.

Not sure what "Bu" is.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Not sure what "Bu" is.
Malibu.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:03 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,604,886 times
If your job is in T.O. there is no way you could live in the O.C. But if you are considering a job in the O.C. I would say there is a lot more to do in the O.C. than in T.O. Think country vs. city life and that will answer your question for you.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
If your job is in T.O. there is no way you could live in the O.C.
Her hubby could use a helicopter.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
If your job is in T.O. there is no way you could live in the O.C. But if you are considering a job in the O.C. I would say there is a lot more to do in the O.C. than in T.O. Think country vs. city life and that will answer your question for you.
He is looking for jobs in both places as we try to decide which one would be the best fit for us.

Not sure one can really say that the suburbs of OC would feel much like the city. I do understand what you are saying though. TO is tucked away up there for sure, but you can still drive to anything you need in probably the same amount of time even though it might be a bit further, simply because there is less traffic.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Malibu.
We really do love Malibu. We take every opportunity to spend long weekends down there with the kids at the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County